So I have a unlocked first gen iphone. I'm using it with my Tmo service ... Apple iPhone forum

che17 no está en línea Stack level 3

Question about unlocked iphone

Advertisement

So I have a unlocked first gen iphone. I'm using it with my Tmo service right now and i love it!! But i just cracked the screen :cry:. Luckily I have a invisasheild so the glass didn't all fall out or whatever. The phone still works perfectly just have to see threw the crack to use it. It isn't a big deal I can prob deal with it. But i would like use this as an excuse to get a new iphone. Not the 3gs but the 3g would be nice.
    I have always tried to turn to Pinstack first for answers. So what are my options? I don't know much about Apple Customer care, or even how i would go about getting a new phone. Please help me!!
    Thanks

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I'd suggest a call to T-Mobile's customer service to get the "lay of the land" on getting a replacement. Just explain what happened and see what the rep says. There might be Pinstack users who have been through this and can offer suggestions.

If you don't get any other help a call will give you a start. The call isn't going to change the basic policy of the carrier. Good luck.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    You should be able to buy a replacement glass for it if you want install it yourself? Otherwise I would take it to an Apple Store and ask their opinion. They will be able to give you a few options also.

iFixIt has a set by step guide on how to disassemble and reassemble.

Here is the 1st Gen link
    Last edited by srl7741; 07-01-2009 at 05:13 PM.

sozae no está en línea Stack level 2
    the T-mobile call will not help because they do not offer the iphone on their network so they cannot replace it or upgrade for you and apple retail store may not even sell you the phone without at&t contract, unless you tell them you need to use prepaid at&t card but gonna cost you full price.

Quote Originally Posted by sozae View Post
    the T-mobile call will not help because they do not offer the iphone on their network so they cannot replace it or upgrade for you and apple retail store may not even sell you the phone without at&t contract, unless you tell them you need to use prepaid at&t card but gonna cost you full price.
    Right...and of course, it's an AT&T thing right now. Also, because you didn't get it from them, if they did offer it in the future you'd have no recourse through T-Mo because you didn't get it from them originally.

I've been in the same situation with Blackberry and T-Mo - needed a repair but because I didn't get the unit from them they wouldn't/couldn't do anything to help me. Probably srl7741's suggestion of either buying a new one and replacing it or looking for a repair shop may be your best bets.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    craigslist or ebay.

youd be better off either giving me the phone for next to nothing and just going out and replacing your phone with a 3G that has been unlocked. To replace the screen on the 2G costs more than the phone is worth. The 3G on the other hand is very inexpensive to be repaired.

Plus the 3G is just a better phone overall.
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

CardiacSmashin no está en línea Stack level 2
    google search iphone glass ($15) or get both glass and digitiser ($169). A old high school friend that work at a replacement store is about to fix my tmo iphone as well.
    Kristopher the Great

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    2g iPhone is all one unit, practically non servicable.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Quote Originally Posted by neorabid View Post
    2g iPhone is all one unit, practically non servicable.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~
    I don't like this feature either - it's like the iPods, mine at least, etc. that you have to send off or have the battery replaced. It's built-in service (and fees) for the company and is totally unnecessary. It's a small thing but not "customer friendly" IMO, trying to control even the battery.

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by che17 View Post
    So I have a unlocked first gen iphone. I'm using it with my Tmo service right now and i love it!! But i just cracked the screen :cry:. Luckily I have a invisasheild so the glass didn't all fall out or whatever. The phone still works perfectly just have to see threw the crack to use it. It isn't a big deal I can prob deal with it. But i would like use this as an excuse to get a new iphone. Not the 3gs but the 3g would be nice.
    I have always tried to turn to Pinstack first for answers. So what are my options? I don't know much about Apple Customer care, or even how i would go about getting a new phone. Please help me!!
    Thanks
    Simply, I would suggest you buy an iPhone 3G from just about anybody right now as the hot thing is the new 3GS, then upgrade that phone to the new OS 3.0 which will open up many new features for you. (i.e. cut/copy/paste, landscape mode, etc) It can then also be jailbroken & unlocked so you can keep your current T-Mobile plan.