An interesting Article I found on Pinch Media discussing Jailbroken phones and Apps A few ... Apple iPhone forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Pinch Media:Piracy in the App Store

Advertisement

An interesting Article I found on Pinch Media discussing Jailbroken phones and Apps

A few months after the launch of the App Store, developers began reporting unexplained spikes in their new user numbers, spikes that were completely irreconcilable with iTunes Connect reporting on new downloads. After investigating, it unfortunately became clear that this wasn’t an error in our reporting, but instead was due to application piracy.

Pinch Media Link

To help developers better understand their traffic (and to cut down on customer support requests!), Pinch Media introduced jailbroken phone and pirated application detection to our analytics library and reports this June. We wanted to get developers a better handle on where their users were coming from, as well as some insights into the costs of piracy – both in terms of lost sales and in infrastructure costs, since many applications have a server back-end.

It’s been months since we introduced jailbroken detection to our library, and we’ve begun to get a better understanding of the jailbroken ecosystem, which has remained reasonably steady. To date, Pinch Analytics has received data from approximately 4.0 million jailbroken devices. About 38%, or around a million and a half of those, have used a pirated application. This estimate is low – application pirates take steps to avoid detection – but it’s worth pointing out that an individual who jailbreaks their phone is not necessarily an individual that steals applications.
    Piracy is a global phenomenon, and rates of piracy in the United States are relatively low compared to other countries. The below chart shows pirated installs as a percentage of total installs, segmented by country:

Full Article: Pinch Media with Charts and more. (long read)
    Attached Images Attached Images

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I'm glad to be a part of a site that does not support or permit application piracy....yes I'm one of those who actually buys apps and music too....shocking huh? It's sad because I think that they must price their apps and software accounting somewhat for the loss to theives, so that means us honest folks pay more....but for those who don't pay....watch out for that karma baby
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    Im not going to lie, I have and still continue to use cracked apps on my iPhone. I also am not afraid to say that if I find an app useful and worthy of money I will then support the developer by purchasing the app. There are WAY too many crap apps on the app store for me to go out there and rely on fake reviews and fudged numbers to give out my honest hard earned money to unhonest developers.<br>I have been a programmer and I know how much work goes into making apps, but I also know from a consumers point of view that I shouldn't have to give away money for something that I dont want.

If you read the article it tells you the retention rate of pirated apps is much lower than paid apps.

it then goes on to say that the actual converts on the lite versions to paid version vs cracked to paid convert is much higher. This point is valid but IMHO this is because lite versions often dont have as much and the ads they put in the app are so annoying that you want to try out the paid version to see what its like without them. The ones who get the cracked apps and expierence the actual paid app find that the utility is not what they wanted or the app is so trivial that it is deemed unworthy to grace their iPhones screen.

An example of an app that is totally retarded is: iRa Direct & its Pro version, no lite versions of either and both cost upwards of $499, for those that want to argue that iRa C3 mobile is the "lite" version of these are sadly mistaken you have to be a iRa C3 customer to use this program, straight from the website: "iRa C3 pricing is based on the number of users and cameras. Request a quote or contact a member of the Lextech Labs team at the number or email address below."

How am I supposed to know that this is the surveillence program that I need to fulfill my mobile viewing needs? Am I supposed to rely on the 5 people that have reviewed iRa direct or the 7 people that reviewed iRa Pro? or do I just go ahead and spend the 500 dollars and pray to god that it works for me and it does what I needed? I think ill try it out if I like it then ill pay the money if not; no harm, no foul by anyone its like nothing ever happened.

Basically in a nutshell I am trying to say that the app store is not without flaws and needs a return policy put into place to save us from the apps that are just there to make greedy developers money for their crap apps.
    End Rant
    Last edited by neorabid; 10-15-2009 at 12:25 AM.
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    Another interesting fact is that the numbers coincide with the lower amount of disposable income people have:

People dont have all kinds of money to be blowing on lame apps and they want to make sure they are getting the best bang for the buck out of their purchases.
    Last edited by neorabid; 10-15-2009 at 04:53 AM.
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I just found it all interesting.

evo1725 no está en línea Stack level 4
    I agre with neo. Why don't they do it like Cydia for exemple. Int the cydia store there's this thing that you can get the app like in a trial and then if you like it you buy the lincese simple like that and everybody happy.
    Posted via smartphone

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    I think there should be a trial phase for "Pro" or Paid versions of apps if they're over a certain price point (ie that $500 app is a great example!) like allow a user to try it out properly (and why not- PC software Developers do the same thing).TBH I didn't even think you could crack an App on an iPhone (I'm imagining you need a jailbroken device to do it?) But we shouldn't be taking food off the table of any developer. If it's a crap app don't buy it, and if you don't really want to rely on the reviews then by all means I think there shoud be a trial version of the pricier apps anyway- whether there's two reviews or 2,000. Just good practice when you're charging a premium rate for anything.
    I have two very rare photographs. One is a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car........