on the bottom bezel part - this unit also has the light leak issue I ... Apple iPhone forum

terrapin no está en línea Stack Pro

Picked up a 3G tonight and noticed a few scratches/scuffs...

Advertisement

on the bottom bezel part - this unit also has the light leak issue I referred to in another post (light "leaks" through on the left part of the bezel - here's an example http://home.comcast.net/~yan31/ll.jpg). anyway, I'm not much into returning things so wanted advice on whether I should exhange this one for another or if most, if not all, will have similar "defects".

If I scratched it myself...That's 1 thing, But right out of the box?

gorcorps no está en línea Stack level 3
    They should have no problem exchanging it for scratches and the light leak since you just got it. As said before, the light leak 'problem' is a manufacturing issue and you should be able to get a phone without the problem.

man...Thanks though - Youre probably right. but what I do know is that they're not gonna sit there and open iPhone after iPhone until I find one that's "perfect" - just being anal I suppose but I know I didnt cause it.
    Last edited by azstar; 07-22-2009 at 09:02 PM. Reason: language

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    probably got a refurb from the store, they will do that and sometimes wont tell you especially if you dont ask them.
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

seriously? I paid for a brand new phone and they "maybe" gave me a refurb? You serious! That sounds highly illegal to me.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    A brand new phone should not have light leak nor any scratches. I would return it and ask for a new one. They should exchange it for a new one without any problem.

I asked the AT$T Store employees about exchanges not long ago and I was told when you purchase a new phone and exchange it for some reason you will get another new one. What I forgot to ask is weather that's within the first 30 days.
    Thinking back now I have to believe it does apply to the 30 days. After the 30 days I'm not sure.

If you purchased from the Apple Store I'm guessing it would be the same?
    I'm interested in finding out what you end up going thru so we can all learn a little more.

well, I went back to the apple store where I got it and they gave me ZERO problems at l - barely even looked at the phone I was returning. Brought a new, shrink-wrapped from the back and viola...I suppose I may have had a very different experience at an AT&T store though but have always had great luck dealing with apple retail.

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
    well, I went back to the apple store where I got it and they gave me ZERO problems at l - barely even looked at the phone I was returning. Brought a new, shrink-wrapped from the back and viola...I suppose I may have had a very different experience at an AT&T store though but have always had great luck dealing with apple retail.
    Even though you went to ATT, you are dealing with Apple as they control ALL aspects of the iPhone to the point that ATT employees rarely know what's going on until its already in motion. You got a defective phone and they know it happens every once in awhile.

gorcorps no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
    Apple customer service is very good. I haven't heard many bad experiences and there are thousands out there that have needed help.

Now AT&T on the other hand...

and...I didn't go to ATT, I went to the Apple retail store. They're terrific and I would highly recommend anyone considering a new iPhone to go through them, not ATT retail chains. The only issue I see, and have seen, with the Apple retail stores is the wait time often involved - Standing in line for the "honor" of buying a friggin phone is crazy. There was no line when I went, and I got the 3G, not the 3Gs, and still I waited for over 45 minutes for a rep. That kinda sucks. But I guess demand's greater than the staff can handle?

and after 30 days, it can be a refurb unless you argue a lot. within 30 days, according to someone I know who works ATT retail, you can buy and try as many phones as you want - no stated limit - and they will take em back. I know someone signed up with ATT in store and got a Curve, then a Bold, then a Tilt, then an iPhone...all were new, all were exchanged within 30 days of the ORIGINAL sign up date...That's the key. If you buy a Bold on May 1 and exchange it for a Tilt on May 15, you do not have until June 15 to hange your mind again - you have until May 31...

treisn no está en línea Stack level 1
    ouch