I just read that Apple has become the U.S.'s largest mobile phone seller. With so ... Apple iPhone forum

iPhonejones no está en línea Stack level 2

Now that Apple is a monopoly will they stick it to us..... Worse??!

Advertisement

I just read that Apple has become the U.S.'s largest mobile phone seller. With so many restrictions already in place; what's next?! This puts the fear in me!! As they evolve thier ever improving software and impose more and more seemingly self proprietary restrictions I can only imagine what's to come. I'm looking for some inside info to point me toward what to expect next...

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Try looking at the positive things that may happen and if it weren't for Apple pushing the envelope others would still be feeding us with same ol' products. Take RIM as one example. In the last few years how many different devices have they released with the same OS give or take a dot or two in the version of OS.

Apple pushes everyone else to make better products that cost less to get. Look what has changed since 2007 when the first iPhone was released. Between 07 and 2010 there has been more choices and innovation than ever before.

We need them to keep pushing all those who sell us cruddy devices with a different labels.

sooner no está en línea Stack Professional
    Well Im awating the new Sony PsP Phone.
    When you reach the top the only next place to go is
    D
    O
    W
    N

iLord is DEAD!

iPhonejones no está en línea Stack level 2
    Good points.

ReggieSmith no está en línea Stack level 3
    1st let's remember that Apple is only the largest US phone manufacturer- NOT the largest handset manufacturer. I think Samsung recently took that title from Nokia. (one more reason for the latest desperation play in court by Nokia.)

2nd - Apple is far from a monopoly, so let's be careful with what terms we use. They are a very dominant player in the smartphone market because they have controlled both the HW & OS of their phones just as they have done with macs & MacBooks for years. One place to go to for support when you have a problem sounds very good to me.

Apple & the iPhone are not the only game in town. If it scares you, switch to another brand and move on with your life. If not, hang on tight and enjoy the ride!
    ------

From time to time, you have to wonder...... What was I saying?

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    All true and will support Apple very well in any claims made by Adobe. Apple has done a lot for only being present for 3 years but they are not even close to a monopoly or even number one. World wide numbers are nothing like US numbers and then factor in total numbers of phone (smart and dump) they are a fraction of % over all.

They do a great job with marketing and rated very high in customer satisfaction and remain on the front page always so it can sometimes be deceiving.

AndroidUser no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    Try looking at the positive things that may happen and if it weren't for Apple pushing the envelope others would still be feeding us with same ol' products. Take RIM as one example. In the last few years how many different devices have they released with the same OS give or take a dot or two in the version of OS.

Apple pushes everyone else to make better products that cost less to get. Look what has changed since 2007 when the first iPhone was released. Between 07 and 2010 there has been more choices and innovation than ever before.

We need them to keep pushing all those who sell us cruddy devices with a different labels.
    Great Post!

RIM has coasted on what matters most. Delivering a BlackBerry with a smooth, stable OS that offers a good web browser.

They are first to make promises or talk about what they are "going to do" and last to actually execute on what they talk about.

Now other manufacturers have blown by them like they are standing still. There is hardly a smartphone of any kind on the market today that doesn't provide a far superior web experience to any BlackBerry.

It's truly a shame and a disappointment, as RIM lead the pack for so many years before they went adrift.

If not for their entrenched corporate installed base, they would be nothing.