Sorry if this ends up being a duplicate thread, I searched and couldn't find anything ... Apple iPhone forum

Justyn no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    n/a

New iPhone

Advertisement

Sorry if this ends up being a duplicate thread, I searched and couldn't find anything related. I have an iPhone 3G and am changing to a brand new 3Gs to utilize more iOS4 features. I do not have a computer, and have been downloading from App Store and iTunes only using the account I set up from the 3G. My question is this, when I get my 3Gs and log into my iTunes from it, can I redownload the apps I purchased OTA for free, or will it charge me again for those apps?
    It's not an iPhone addiction, it's insomnia!

PIN/ID
    n/a
    Anyone?

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I'm not 100% sure, but if you don't have access to a PC and do a backup, you're out of luck. I'm new at the iTunes thing, but I'm not sure how or where they would be stored to access them again.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Anything you have paid for and downloaded on the older 3G you can re-download to the 3GS for FREE.

The computer and iTunes issues is going to be another mess tho. I'm not sure you can activate it without the computer and connecting to iTunes. You may want to have the Store activate it for you before leaving.

Any Apps can be downloaded again no problem but Songs/Movies etc is different.

PIN/ID
    n/a
    Well when my buddy installed iOS4 on his 3G it erased all of his apps and games. He said he went back into the App Store and tried re-downloading a $0.99 game to his phone to see what happened and that he wasn't charged for it. There's some things that come into play with that though...1) he has a computer and synced his phone to it for the update2) the app was re-installed on the same iPhone.3) it could just be the fact he's downloading the app from the same iPhone account.So I thought maybe someone in here knows Apple's nazi ways with the subject. I know for a fact if I connect my phone to his computer and try to sync it, Apple's security software erases all of my music, games, and downloads. I'm sure we all know that and know how they are. But what about my situation? Is the downloads tied to my iTunes account in general, or to my phone's serial number, or the SIM? If it's tied to my account itself or SIM then it shouldn't matter what iPhone I download to as long as I'm using the same account or ICCID... but if it's tied to my serial number then I'm stool out of luck, and I have over $100 of stuff I won't get back.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I have Apps I downloaded on my 3G then 3GS and now have on my iP4. Each time I started out with a fresh new phone and did not restore from backup. So each time I went to the App Store on the phone after signing in and re downloaded the ones I wanted on the new phone. I did not have to pay again.

As long as you are logged into iTunes App Store under the same account name you should be fine.

PIN/ID
    n/a
    Whats the purpose of connecting to iTunes? When I first got my 3G I out my SIM into it, called Care and switched my data plan to iPhone Data, and was up and running on the web in seconds. I creating my iTunes account from my phone and have been downloading since.

three3peat no está en línea Stack level 3
    Ya , it would say something like "this app is free cause you paid for it all ready" after you click on the buy button

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I'm not sure the purpose is the correct way to describe it? For the most part the iTunes option allows you to keep or use anything on the phone but on the computer or even a TV. If you loose or damage the phone beyond repair you still have everything on the computer so you simply sync a new phone one time and everything is back on the phone without loosing anything.

There are several advantages to having access to a computer w/iTunes. I have several hundred GB's of movies and music for example. The phone can't hold all those so when I want something new I remove it from the iPhone and add something new that is stored on the computer or external HD. Storage management is another benefit of the PC to iTunes idea.