Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Okay, last night my iPhone started tripping BAD. It (at times) won't let my type ... Apple iPhone forum

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6

Need To Restore? What Should I Do?

Advertisement

Okay, last night my iPhone started tripping BAD.
    It (at times) won't let my type on the keyboard, the touchscreen seems to be unresponsive at times as well, the only thing that works good (all the time it seems) is scrolling through my SpringBoard pages. Scrolling through the Settings app is a pain, so is scrolling through my SMS app…it works good sometimes, and sometimes not, although it doesn’t completely stop working. I’ve also noticed that when using the keyboard in an message app, using the landscape keyboard works better for some letters and portrait mode works better for other letters.

I know that I probably have to restore, which isn’t a total bummer since I’m still on 3.0.1, so I’ll just update to 3.1.2 and re-jailbreak.

My question/concerns is,
    Should I uninstall all (if not most) of my Cydia apps to insure a clean restore/upgrade?

EDIT: I'm just copying over my theme stuff (onto my PC) and I'm un-installing all my Cydia apps This blows LOL
    Last edited by beeshabo; 12-17-2009 at 02:11 PM.

Did the restore....STILL the same issue! Apple, here I come

Justyn no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    n/a
    Careful, if you update to 3.1.2 I read it could screw up the jailbreak... just what I read, mine's not jailbroken so I don't know for sure. But sounds to me you need to update OS, the new OS fixes glitches in 3.0 and 3.1.0
    It's not an iPhone addiction, it's insomnia!

Justyn - Yeah, if you update/upgrade your firmware, you're device becomes "un-jailbroken", that's cool with me, the problem is this damn unresponsive screen, it's pissing me off. It's the bottom row (the one right above the dock) that's not responding, so some of the keys don't work on the keyboard

Damn!

Justyn no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    n/a
    You've already updated OS?
    It's not an iPhone addiction, it's insomnia!

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    If u end up doing a clean install that's all fine but don't do a restore after or u may end up putting the same problem back on.
    If you do a clean install keep everything u add as clean.

Justyn - Yeah, I did, I figured since I had to restore...might as well right

srl - Thanks for the reply man, I appreciate it. So, you suggest I do a "clean" restore, like, NOT from a backup? Because I restored from a backup - Bad idea?

First, I removed ALL my Cydia apps, then I upgraded my firmware, then I synced, then restored (from a back up)

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    yeah if you restore from backup it just installs the stuff you had on there that could possibly be the problem. When you restore and rejailbreak with blackra1n make sure you download afc2add.
    also add these repos: http://sinfuliphonerepo.com & http://repo.beyouriphone.com Most if not all your major modding can be had there for free.
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

Thanks!

I have some text messages that I CANNOT lose, that's why I didn't restore as NEW....is there a way to back-up my texts?

PIN/ID
    neorabid
    lol are they texts from tiger because if they are you can make some major money. JK
    http://modmyi.com/forums/file-mods/6...ckup-help.html or tansee http://www.tansee.com/iphonetransfersms.html
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.

LOL, nah!!

Thanks for the links.

Did some research, and apparently, my iPhone has a bad "digitizer", it causes about a 1/4" (strip) of your iPhone screen to become unresponsive. That's what's happening to me The row above my dock isn't working. No Restore can fix it. DAMN!

PIN/ID
    neorabid
    thats what I suspected was wrong but I wanted to hope for the best, its covered under warranty
    Quotes to live by:

neo - Yeah, it sucks! but YES, it is covered under warranty, I've only had the phone for 6 months....and I've taken VERY GOOD care of it.

Took my phone to Apple, one of the genius' took it to the back, returned 5 min later and it was working GREAT!! Had a loose connector of some sort. Quick and easy fix I guess
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast