Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Originally Posted by kingrykku27 If you want proven OS stability, go BlackBerry. Want the latest ... Apple iPhone forum

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by kingrykku27 View Post
    If you want proven OS stability, go BlackBerry.

Want the latest shiney toy? Iphone

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I agree with Archer, but would like to know where this above quote is coming from (i.e. regarding what basis this is founded on)?

From everything I have read, seen, and experienced the OS in BB is no more stable than the OS in Iphone. In fact, I would have to give the OS in the Iphone the nod for stability as I never have to hard reset (couldn't do a battery pull even if I wanted to due to the design) and the device has never spontaneosly rebooted or reset on me, but this could be an anamoly, although it doesn't seem to be from al have read. In fact the recent releases of newer BB OS's have not been very stable on initial release, unless comparing to WM systems. Just compare how many freeze and OS related problems have developed with each new OS update/release from Apple compared to RIM. The new Storm is a good example as the OS is not very stable and reliable across the board (some have great experiences and some rotten, not the same results with the Iphone, JB'd phones excluded as they are not part of the official equation) and already requires a OS update to be more reliable. Now, know that I am not a hater, fanboy, or basher of either, just an embracer and lover of technology. The iphone is my current favorite (and fits my current needs the best, especially as I must administer the wife's device as well, but if a better widget were to come out I would not be hesitant to adopt it (be it either BB, WM, SYMBIAN, or otherwise)). Maybe cut and paste and video recording options are the reasons that OS's become unstable???(okay my crack at really bad humor!!!)

Naylor07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241ECE99
    As for stability, I have applications close all the time on my iPhone including built in things like safari and the mail box.

I think the blackberry is a much more reliable business device then the iPhone. The iPhone has some great features and an innovative UI. Another plus to the iPhone is the third party software development is extenive.

As for the storm, I can't really answer that since I don't own one.

In conclusion, I have the iPhone setting next to me, I use it, it is fun, but it isn't the business and managing device that my blackberry is (although I do like exchange sync). In the end, the iPhone is generally marketed as more of a consumer entertainment device rather than a business PDA like the blackberry is.

Just my thoughts.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
    1) From everything I have read, seen, and experienced the OS in BB is no more stable than the OS in Iphone.

2) Now, know that I am not a hater, fanboy, or basher of either, just an embracer and lover of technology. The iphone is my current favorite (and fits my current needs the best, especially as I must administer the wife's device as well, but if a better widget were to come out I would not be hesitant to adopt it (be it either BB, WM, SYMBIAN, or otherwise).
    Great post, with some very excellent points.

1) This is a relatively recent development that sadly, has tarnished RIM's once stellar reputation for a very stable OS. In my personal opinion it's a direct reflection of RIM overloading themselves by developing too many new models at the same time.

2) You've said it best here. A statement that more people should respect. And that is the beauty of choices, and how we each have our own unique needs, tastes, and preferences. The freedom to use whatever suits us best is to be celebrated. To judge someone based on their choice of smartphone is very short sighted.

Cheers...

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Naylor07 View Post
    As for stability, I have applications close all the time on my iPhone including built in things like safari and the mail box.

I think the blackberry is a much more reliable business device then the iPhone. The iPhone has some great features and an innovative UI. Another plus to the iPhone is the third party software development is extenive.

As for the storm, I can't really answer that since I don't own one.

In conclusion, I have the iPhone setting next to me, I use it, it is fun, but it isn't the business and managing device that my blackberry is (although I do like exchange sync). In the end, the iPhone is generally marketed as more of a consumer entertainment device rather than a business PDA like the blackberry is.

Just my thoughts.
    You are exactly correct in that Apple has carved a niche market and know the audience they are targeting, having said this, the latest offerings from RIM are not the business offerings of the past but more consumer offerings the same as the Iphone is. I agree on the Exchange sync (as I have my own server) but find that it is a better solution and if RIM could allow the contacts and calendar syncing with BIS it would be the scale tipping event that would truly give them an edge and not very hard to implement, but them they would lose the extra revenue that BES brings in. Most of the people on here are consumer level anyway and have little true need for the power user end of it. I would probably conservatively guess that about 80% of the BB die hard users and lovers (by their own admissions ) have never experienced the benefits of BES. If they had and were on a restrict IT policy, they wouldn't be as hot for BB. Just my 2 cents and not a bash at anyone. I just see a lot of people praising the BB and it greatness and never even having the data plan active, just using the device as a phone and for texting. These are the prime focus for the Apple people. I think that you would see a lot less people hating the Iphone if Appple would change its stance about unlocking and jailbreaking the devices.
    I too have ad a few odd apps close from time to time, but the device never required a restart after that and no data was lost for me (with the exception of a web page needing reloading). However on my BB and WM devices I have had to pull the battery and reboot to get the system to start working again, and then found out that the mail information had disappeared with no way to regain it (once again I was on a BIS and not a BES so not a fair comparison), but nothing beats the ability to wipe and resync everything wirelessly through Exchange and not lose anything in the process (RIM should offer this in BIS as well).
    Last edited by squeakr; 12-05-2008 at 12:56 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123