Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Whoa. Intense discussion. Thank you for the iPhone/Pearl comparison, Gigamaster. Very good ... Apple iPhone forum

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7

Advertisement

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Whoa. Intense discussion. Thank you for the iPhone/Pearl comparison, Gigamaster. Very good information. I think that now that RIM is focusing on the consumer market, we're in store for some very nice improvements in browsing, media, etc. The iPhone is a remarkable device. I think it's kind of neat that you're enjoying the use of it, and your Pearl. Once again, thank you

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4
    Also, I have both types of devices (Curve, Pearl, and Iphone) and when run through an exchange server (yes I have the luxury of running my own at home) must say that I am getting the email faster on the IPHONE than on my BB'S and I am able to administer 2 devices remotely without the hassles that I had with the BB software (I am running through GMAIL BIS so I get the push but no 2way and no calendar or contacts with Outlook so I agree not a true fair comparison, but the extra features for the same price comparison give the nod to the Iphone). I am an email person and have very little need or use for texting (although I do miss the BB messenger). I haven't had the Iphone long so still getting used to it and miss the LED and the some of the customization, but I am giving the Iphone a good try (that and the wife likes it better as well, doesn't hurt that the phone charges and becomes a clock radio using the IPOD section to wake to my music as well as using a 3rd party clock radio dock accessory). I am looking forward to the Storm as this may be the better of the devices available (I say better as there is no best). If the BB would allow direct exchange syncing without the need for BES, then I would probably be running back to the BB. As for now, I forgot how much I miss adding to the calendar and having it update my Outlook immediately as well as marking emails read and allowing for archiving and filing. Don't get me wrong, Apple has gotten many things wrong and has quite a ways to go, but what they have so far is working really nicely (I wouldn't have even thought of switching devices if it weren't for the addition of exchange push mail syncing, that is why I didn't get the original device as no push mail is no solution to me).

ikasen no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Gigamaster, Of course there are all types of people everywhere. Here at Pinstack we have our share of people with strong opinions - some of them not quite unobjective. I was just trying to say that, in general, I think the majority of Pinstack users are fair-minded and willing to look at ANY new technical device with both interest and fairness. That's just my opinion of the Pinstack community.
    Gigamaster89 wrote a good review. There is a businessperson that responded a couple of times and was really quite funny.
    The truth is, people will be people no matter what forum you are on. This is the best Blackberry forum I have ever had the pleasure of being on, but there are plenty of people here that are as unfairminded (did I just invent a new word?) as they come.

Amahk no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242B3987
    I echo your statements ikasen. I guess I expected people with Blackberries to be of a certain intelligence and with intelligence I expect people to exhibit critical thinking. This rabid 'fanboyism' and people defending the blackberry just because it's a...blackberry, doesn't suit an intellectual. Critical thinking benefits the consumer since it creates competition and forces the manufacturers to innovate and thus make us a better product. That's my main reason for not lurking on these boards as much as I used to, I was just disappointed.

A key example that reiterates this to me is the justification for no WiFi on the Storm. To me I see this as a massive insult to the consumer. I don't care how great your cellular connection is, it is always good to have options. WiFi is faster than any cellular connection. WiFi allows individuals who can't obtain a signal in certain offices to access data. WiFi allows for VoiP. WiFi lowers your roaming data bill when abroad. For any company to tell me that I don't need this 'option' because what they provide is good enough is appalling. We always need options/choices. And my rant is over.

Gigamaster89 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    I have to disagree on this point.

I have used a lot of media software in the past with MP3 players.

I have used Bearshare, KaZaa, Rhapsody, LimeWire, MusicMatch, Zune, and Napster to find music.

iTunes works better than all of them. The fact that I can find album artwork, compile a shopping cart of items I want, and instantly sync to my PC make iTunes the best of them out there. Plus I can get gift cards to purchase music when I want.

I have tried Zune software. Just need a player to go along with it. Same as iTunes with the giftcards.

Only problem I have with LimeWire is that it doesn't always have full files or album artwork.

My only beef with the developers of MusicMatch was that they pulled the plug on MusicMatch. I loved that software. It was my first software program for music as I don't use Windows Media Player.

Can't stand Rhapsody, Napster, BearShare (anymore. I used to love BearShare) or KaZaa. I could never find what I wanted on here.

My take is that all software has issues but these can be worked around.
    What's wrong with windows media player? You mentioned everything but that. WMP is my player of choice :P

bjenkins17 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2427d4b4
    Jailbreak
    Last edited by bjenkins17; 11-24-2008 at 07:57 PM.

bjenkins17 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2427d4b4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ge View Post
    I still have the iPhone

a) I realize it has email and messaging. But it is useless. I want to receive my email instantly. Not 15 minutes to an hour. That is the whole point. I need to respond to my customers immediately. As for the messaging. Unless I have the Application running, I am not getting those either. I have tried Meebo using Safari and it works, only if the browser is the active application. AIM is a joke. I am listed as offline unless the application is running. Beejive and MobileChat (both that I have paid for) have improved the messaging, but not by much. I can now have the application minimized and everyone will still see me as being online. However, I don't receive the message until I bring the application back up and then the messages arrive. There is no notification. Useless. This is just Messaging. I want INSTANT MESSAGING.

b) I realize you are still a student. When you start working, you can come back and tell me how much time you can devote to surfing the web and watching YouTube Videos. I cannot afford to kill off my battery with such tasks. I know that by today's standards, email seems primitive. But believe me, it will remain the killer application for a long time.

I surf PinStack when I am at home, too busy during the day.

As for YouTube on the Storm? Well, how you use your phone is up to you. The iPhone's main attraction is YouTube and Safari.

If that is all I do everyday, then the iPhone would be ideal for me.

If you love the phone, that is great. If it does what you need and you can be productive using Safari and YouTube. But for me, I need to get my email instantly. I need to communicate with my office and customers with IM that actually arrive in real time. I need to be able to cut and paste.

I keep the iPhone as my iPod. Since it is actually cheaper than an iPod Touch. Unfortunately, it gets very little use. The only application I really like is Shazam. Everthing else I find in the AppStore is mostly games and of little use to me. No matter how I try, I really hate that virtual keyboard.

For me, it is a BlackBerry with a full keyboard. No Pearls, no Storms. You decide what works for you. For me, I use it as a toy. All I get from it are games and YouTube, and I don't have time for either of them.

Jailbreak the phone. These options are available just not turned on.

green_light no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ge View Post
    I purchased an iPhone 3G on release day. Two and half hours later, I ran (RAN) back to my Curve.

It is a Toy.

Anyone that buys a phone to use Safari, iPod, YouTube, and Games. Well, I just described a student's needs

Toys

I use my BlackBerry to be productive. Spending my day watching YouTube videos and surfing the web is not productive.

It is bad enough that people compare the iPhone to the Bold. But a Pearl?

If you want to make a comparison, wait till the Storm is released.

Don't get me wrong, I think the iPhone is great for someone that wants to watch YouTube and Surf the web and play games.

However, that is not what I need. I need instant access to email. I need messenger to communicate with my colleagues.

I am glad you like your new toy.
    Ha! Exactly! I hope the Storm crushes this stupid trend. I'm sick of hearing about the iphone, reading about it and muting their annoying TV commercials when they come on. So what if Apple has an "App Store!" ?? I get all my best BlackBerry stuff free!

Heh..yeah I'll get flamed for this one

squished18 no está en línea Stack level 3
    My friend was anxious to show me the iPhone up close. What was the application he was so anxious to show me? Bowling. When I pull out my BB to show somebody that's interested, I show them email, instant messaging, and near instantaneous phone number search. iPhone is an excellently-made entertainment device.

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4

iPhone has its place

Quote Originally Posted by bjenkins17 View Post
    Jailbreak the phone. These options are available just not turned on.
    First thing I did was jailbreak it. Cydia, NES emulator and ssh was what I was after. But it still lacked instant email delivery. It lacked multi-tasking. It is useless as a messaging device. What is the point of running AIM or MSN if you cannot get messages unless the program was launched.

Jailbreaking does not solve this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by green_light View Post
    Ha! Exactly! I hope the Storm crushes this stupid trend. I'm sick of hearing about the iphone, reading about it and muting their annoying TV commercials when they come on. So what if Apple has an "App Store!" ?? I get all my best BlackBerry stuff free!

Heh..yeah I'll get flamed for this one
    The Storm is a different device, it does not have multi-touch like the iPhone and I doubt it will make a dent in the iPhone space. Maybe a scratch, but it will not get iPhone users to switch.

The iPhone has its place in society. Those that have an iPhone and love it, well I am happy for them. If the phone suits their needs, who I am to say otherwise?

All I can say is, it is not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by squished18 View Post
    My friend was anxious to show me the iPhone up close. What was the application he was so anxious to show me? Bowling. When I pull out my BB to show somebody that's interested, I show them email, instant messaging, and near instantaneous phone number search. iPhone is an excellently-made entertainment device.
    Amen, I totally agree. A great toy. Just like a Nintendo DS
    Last edited by Ge; 12-02-2008 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Spelling

hellaheather no está en línea Stack level 1
    My husband has the iphone and quite frankly the thing is a piece of crap. You may love it now but the dern thing has so many problems. Actually there is a website just for problems with the iphone his has 18 of the 20 listed. You could not pay me to trade my blackberry for the iphone. Its not worth your money. I get extremly frustrated with his phone. It randomly kicks you off the internet and is extremly tempermental. I have yet to incounter one person who has had the iphone for at least 3 months that likes it. Best of luck with yours.

Naylor07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241ECE99
    Why does everyone argue in these threads... it always comes down to if you like the iPhone use it, if you want a BB, get one.

I have owned all of them including both iPhones, they both have advantages and disadvantages.

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    If you want proven OS stability, go BlackBerry.

Want the latest shiney toy? Iphone

offthahorseceo no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C
    why does everyone bash the iphone media player?

name one thing an ipod does that bb media player doesnt. i use the built in media player, no flipside or miutunes for me. im geniunely curious as to what im missing on the bb media player as opposed to other media players...

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Naylor07 View Post
    Why does everyone argue in these threads... it always comes down to if you like the iPhone use it, if you want a BB, get one.

I have owned all of them including both iPhones, they both have advantages and disadvantages.
    I'm with you 100%.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast