Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

So, I've had a iPhone for about two weeks enough and I can say I've ... Apple iPhone forum

Gigamaster89 no está en línea Stack level 3

My stand on the iPhone from a Pearl.

Advertisement

So, I've had a iPhone for about two weeks enough and I can say I've used it enough to formulate an opinion on it and how it compares to the Pearl.

IPHONE:

- First and foremost, those who bash the iPhone as a "toy" "just for looks" and such:
    a) never used an iphone
    b) secretly is jealous and wants one
    c) will do anything to hurt the credibility of something NOT RIM aka super fanboi/girl

- Despite lacking some key features like MMS and Copy/Paste, the device itself is actually fairly amazing.

- The keyboard is okay, it definitely allows for faster one hand typing with auto correction as compared to the Pearl, but I'd definite choose the Pearl's keyboard over this one. Though, it IS a trade off though, because of the lack of physical keyboard, the screen is beautiful, if it was half the size, it wouldn't have been that amazing.

- As a media player, the iPhone is just leaps and bounds ahead of the Pearl. Everything works so smoothly. The only problem is though...ITUNES! I'm not going to lie, iTunes SUCK and if it wasn't required to sync, I wouldn't use it.

- A big thing I DON'T like about the iPhone would be the lack of notification. If the iPhone had an notification LED at the top that would blink when a SMS is received, that would be great. While on the subject of notifications, the iPhones vibration is a billion times stronger than the Pearls...

- Okay, despite the people that may or may not disagree with me on this, the iPhones interface is just so much better than BBs. Everything is simple, yet functional, YET, good looking at the same time. On BBs, the menus and what not are just plain text, and everything is just "eh."

- Pointing out the obvious here, sound quality AND screen quality of the iPhone is...made of pure win. I can actually watch a video on here comfortably, and that's saying alot.

- Key placement here is really nice, I like the fact that I can silence it with a switch and I can like it with a touch of a button.

- The key thing the Blackberry has going for it IMO, is the superior push email and business support. However, I'm not a business user, just a college student who can put the media functionality to good use. If someone like me, who don't need push/email alot, I don't see why they would not like the iPhone.

- The thing that I WILL MISS THE MOST, really has nothing to do with my BB. It's the fact that my Pearl was an UMA phone, and this, I can use UMA at home for service...since I live in a TMO deadzone, I don't get service with the iPhone (unlocked of course) so I switch to my Pearl when I'm home.

- Lastly, I'm a big fan of a minimalistic design...and clearly, this is one. (Take my desktop for example, it's completely empty :P).

PEARL

- Just going to restate what I said above and more. I like the Suretype keyboard...alot. More so than the Curves QWERTY. I don't have huge hands so it works pretty well for me.

- LED notification is really useful.

- Can use custom ringtones right off the bat.

- I like the size, and I would definately pull the Pearl out more than the iPhone simply because of its small size. Big disadvantage of the iPhone is that while it technically isn't more fragile, it just seems that way because of the enormous screen.

- UMA on the 8120.

- Vibration is terrible.

- Media player is terrible.

- Absolutely no way to switch tracks from music playlist without actually going into the phone.

IN CONCLUSION

I am happy with my switch and I get the feeling that if people did too, they would be too, with the exception of those who rely on push email, other than that...

Obviously, I'm on a Blackberry board here, so opinions here are biased. This was meant to be an unbiased review in that I own and enjoy both devices. I'd just like to point out that unless you HAVE used an iPhone (and by use, I mean USE, not one to two day touchy touchy), then don't bash it. I hate the fact that time to time, the home page would always find ways to make bias comparisons and or talk about how Apple is failing etc.

I think iPhone + notification LED + tactile feedback keyboard would make a perfect phone, but hey, I can dream can't I?

spydercofanatic no está en línea Stack level 1
    The price of the iPhone is what stopped me(and CellularSouth doesnt carry them) I got my Pearl for $49.99. When the iPhone goes close to that I would love to get one. Since I go through a cell about every 6 to 8 months, an iPhone would not be a wise purchase for me

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    It's your opinion and you're entitled to it but I DO NOT think Pinstack users "will do anything to hurt the credibility of something NOT RIM...." I think we've exhibited a lot of fairness in our responses to our users interests in the iPhone as well as the fact that we have a forum on which you can report such things...that you just used!
    Last edited by jblackfish; 10-16-2008 at 01:10 PM.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    giga,
    First, I want to say congrats, on crossing the gap and exploring what other devices are out there. Educating yourself with first hand experience is key to making a safe and fair descision.
    Also that was a well written, well thought out comparison between the two phones. I'm glad that you gave both an equal chance and compared them fairly, and evenly.

The Blackberry is not for everyone, but for those who can truly use them to their full potential, can attest that this is the finest business related device out there.
    I agree with you that if you don't need a phone for business the iphone is a WONDERFUL device. I have an ipod and I can honestly say that as far as media players go nothing else comes close to it's intuitiveness (IMO). Naturally the iphone would be a big player in that arena.

But...
    If you do need your phone for business purposes, like so many of us here do, the iPhones short comings are all to obvious. I don't disagree that it is a great phone, for most people that have "bashed it" it just cannot do what they expect a phone to do, cut and paste is one of the basic features that I personally could not live without in a phone. I never used my pearl or my curve as a media player (I have a 5th gen 60gb ipod for that purpose) so I really can't comment on how well they do in that catagory compared to an iphone. I'm sure they are a few steps behind.

what I do like about the Blackberry is that it is almost COMPLETLY customizable, you can change just about everything, as far as how it looks (visual representation), displays information (I.e. themes, today, zen, icon and so on), its sensitivity (voice and trackball), everything.

the only way that I would know how to change anything on an Ipod is through ipod wizard, which I don't even know if it would work with an iPhone, maybe you can let me know.

Overall they are both GREAT phones, and of course your going to see mud tossing from both sides because their phone does exactly what they need.

Neither phone is for everyone.
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    It's your opinion and you're entitled to it but I DO NOT think Pinstack users "will do anything to hurt the credibility of something NOT RIM...." I think we've exhibited a lot of fairness in our responses to our users interests in the iPhone as well as the fact that we have a forum on which you can report such things...that you just used!
    I wasn't targeting Stackers in general (seeing as I am one), but rather, those on Stack who declares the iPhone as a toy and such.

JustinHerrera no está en línea Stack level 3
    I think the iPhone is a toy. A very nice toy that I wouldn't mind having.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Gigamaster, Of course there are all types of people everywhere. Here at Pinstack we have our share of people with strong opinions - some of them not quite unobjective. I was just trying to say that, in general, I think the majority of Pinstack users are fair-minded and willing to look at ANY new technical device with both interest and fairness. That's just my opinion of the Pinstack community.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Blukrystlz no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    Askme4it
    Quote Originally Posted by luciferseamus View Post

what I do like about the Blackberry is that it is almost COMPLETLY customizable, you can change just about everything, as far as how it looks (visual representation), displays information (I.e. themes, today, zen, icon and so on), its sensitivity (voice and trackball), everything.
    i just wanted to say, the iPhone can be customized...

thats it....lol thank you
    ~Blu~

Blukrystlz@pinstack.com

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Blukrystlz View Post
    i just wanted to say, the iPhone can be customized...

thats it....lol thank you

Ok thank you. I've never messed with that end of it just the phone's basic functions. I will say though I do like the big touchscreen and the ease of use that it does offer.
    the fact that you can zoom out and in by closing and widening your fingers is really amazing.

I really like the iPhone, I just could not give up what the blackberry has offered me.
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    I purchased an iPhone 3G on release day. Two and half hours later, I ran (RAN) back to my Curve.

It is a Toy.

Anyone that buys a phone to use Safari, iPod, YouTube, and Games. Well, I just described a student's needs

Toys

I use my BlackBerry to be productive. Spending my day watching YouTube videos and surfing the web is not productive.

It is bad enough that people compare the iPhone to the Bold. But a Pearl?

If you want to make a comparison, wait till the Storm is released.

Don't get me wrong, I think the iPhone is great for someone that wants to watch YouTube and Surf the web and play games.

However, that is not what I need. I need instant access to email. I need messenger to communicate with my colleagues.

I am glad you like your new toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ge View Post
    I purchased an iPhone 3G on release day. Two and half hours later, I ran (RAN) back to my Curve.

It is a Toy.

Anyone that buys a phone to use Safari, iPod, YouTube, and Games. Well, I just described a student's needs

Toys

I use my BlackBerry to be productive. Spending my day watching YouTube videos and surfing the web is not productive.

It is bad enough that people compare the iPhone to the Bold. But a Pearl?

If you want to make a comparison, wait till the Storm is released.

Don't get me wrong, I think the iPhone is great for someone that wants to watch YouTube and Surf the web and play games.

However, that is not what I need. I need instant access to email. I need messenger to communicate with my colleagues.

I am glad you like your new toy.
    And this would be the fanboy-ism I'm referring to. Obviously, either he:

a) Does not realize the iPhone has messaging and emailing

or

b) He feels that just because he is a business user, surfing the web and watching youtube is below him.

Since when was it a college student only who surfs the web?

The last time I checked, you have to get on the web to get on Pinstack.

I make a comparison with the Pearl because it's the only one I have. When the Storm comes out, since it can surf the web and probably watch Youtube, I conclude that it must be a toy as well.

Simple logic

JR_Rider no está en línea Stack level 3
    You guys are funny. I think that each of the two phones have their own benefits and drawbacks. I had an iPhone for about 3 weeks so I can comment on both phones as well. I think that the iPhone provides a wonderful browser experience and the multimedia is second to none. It is very clear from my experience with the iPhone and my Curve that the iPhone is clearly designed for the consumer. In my opinion the iPhone is missing the customizability that sets the Curve in a whole new arena. On the Curve not only can you choose your own ringer or sound for each new indicator but you can also have different combinations when the phone is holstered. That is just one example that stands out to me that hasn't been heavily covered. I am glad you are pleased with your purchase though.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

BiggieMack25 no está en línea Stack level 3
    .....and guess what? Each time a new iPhone or BB comes out, there will be comparison, after comparison, after comparison. One phone will be superior at any given point because technology improves each day. What you like to use on one phone might not work as great on another. No biggie. Lets just say that between the Pearl and the iPhone, to each his (or her) own. happy stacking!!!
    Biggie Mack 25
    ....I can see my house from here.....

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4

iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Gigamaster89 View Post
    And this would be the fanboy-ism I'm referring to. Obviously, either he:

a) Does not realize the iPhone has messaging and emailing

or

b) He feels that just because he is a business user, surfing the web and watching youtube is below him.

Since when was it a college student only who surfs the web?

The last time I checked, you have to get on the web to get on Pinstack.

I make a comparison with the Pearl because it's the only one I have. When the Storm comes out, since it can surf the web and probably watch Youtube, I conclude that it must be a toy as well.

Simple logic
    I still have the iPhone

a) I realize it has email and messaging. But it is useless. I want to receive my email instantly. Not 15 minutes to an hour. That is the whole point. I need to respond to my customers immediately. As for the messaging. Unless I have the Application running, I am not getting those either. I have tried Meebo using Safari and it works, only if the browser is the active application. AIM is a joke. I am listed as offline unless the application is running. Beejive and MobileChat (both that I have paid for) have improved the messaging, but not by much. I can now have the application minimized and everyone will still see me as being online. However, I don't receive the message until I bring the application back up and then the messages arrive. There is no notification. Useless. This is just Messaging. I want INSTANT MESSAGING.

b) I realize you are still a student. When you start working, you can come back and tell me how much time you can devote to surfing the web and watching YouTube Videos. I cannot afford to kill off my battery with such tasks. I know that by today's standards, email seems primitive. But believe me, it will remain the killer application for a long time.

I surf PinStack when I am at home, too busy during the day.

As for YouTube on the Storm? Well, how you use your phone is up to you. The iPhone's main attraction is YouTube and Safari.

If that is all I do everyday, then the iPhone would be ideal for me.

If you love the phone, that is great. If it does what you need and you can be productive using Safari and YouTube. But for me, I need to get my email instantly. I need to communicate with my office and customers with IM that actually arrive in real time. I need to be able to cut and paste.

I keep the iPhone as my iPod. Since it is actually cheaper than an iPod Touch. Unfortunately, it gets very little use. The only application I really like is Shazam. Everthing else I find in the AppStore is mostly games and of little use to me. No matter how I try, I really hate that virtual keyboard.

For me, it is a BlackBerry with a full keyboard. No Pearls, no Storms. You decide what works for you. For me, I use it as a toy. All I get from it are games and YouTube, and I don't have time for either of them.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigamaster89 View Post
    - As a media player, the iPhone is just leaps and bounds ahead of the Pearl. Everything works so smoothly. The only problem is though...ITUNES! I'm not going to lie, iTunes SUCK and if it wasn't required to sync, I wouldn't use it.

I have to disagree on this point.

I have used a lot of media software in the past with MP3 players.

I have used Bearshare, KaZaa, Rhapsody, LimeWire, MusicMatch, Zune, and Napster to find music.

iTunes works better than all of them. The fact that I can find album artwork, compile a shopping cart of items I want, and instantly sync to my PC make iTunes the best of them out there. Plus I can get gift cards to purchase music when I want.

I have tried Zune software. Just need a player to go along with it. Same as iTunes with the giftcards.

Only problem I have with LimeWire is that it doesn't always have full files or album artwork.

My only beef with the developers of MusicMatch was that they pulled the plug on MusicMatch. I loved that software. It was my first software program for music as I don't use Windows Media Player.

Can't stand Rhapsody, Napster, BearShare (anymore. I used to love BearShare) or KaZaa. I could never find what I wanted on here.

My take is that all software has issues but these can be worked around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast