Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

i wonder how much more its going to cost to use the wifi hotspots?... Apple iPhone forum

fritter no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: MOVING TO AN IPHONE in JUNE!!

Advertisement

i wonder how much more its going to cost to use the wifi hotspots?

jwlussow no está en línea Stack level 3

They are free in Chicago. Many restaurants and even department stores offer free Wi-Fi. I only know of one place that charges but there is a free one next door to it.

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow Re: MOVING TO AN IPHONE in JUNE!!

Quote Originally Posted by jwlussow
    They are free in Chicago. Many restaurants and even department stores offer free Wi-Fi. I only know of one place that charges but there is a free one next door to it.
    In LA, (Wi-Fi) is all over the place, too. 3G will likely be in the next generation iPhone as Jobs mentions it in his first introduction of the iPhone back in January. I'll have to find the article that quotes AT&T, but the main focus was that they are not really yet in the position to use the 3g system on a fully national basis yet. The U.S. is quite a ways behind Europe on this implementation which is why I suspect Apple went this route (Edge) for the release. Slower, but consistent for all.

Quote Originally Posted by wclyffe
    In LA, (Wi-Fi) is all over the place, too. 3G will likely be in the next generation iPhone as Jobs mentions it in his first introduction of the iPhone back in January. I'll have to find the article that quotes AT&T, but the main focus was that they are not really yet in the position to use the 3g system on a fully national basis yet. The U.S. is quite a ways behind Europe on this implementation which is why I suspect Apple went this route (Edge) for the release. Slower, but consistent for all.
    I did read that AT&T is putting mega millions into preparing their network for the iPhone release. They claim that they should be able to double the system capacity. Like I said the Wi-Fi will be fine for me at first and much faster than 3G.

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Quote Originally Posted by jwlussow
    I did read that AT&T is putting mega millions into preparing their network for the iPhone release. They claim that they should be able to double the system capacity. Like I said the Wi-Fi will be fine for me at first and much faster than 3G.
    Your point gets overlooked a lot of times in all the discussion here...and it's a really good point. The fact that the iPhone can seamlessly move to a Wi-Fi connection is really great. For anyone that has experienced the speed of Wi-Fi, it is great to surf at that speed. I have also surfed the web on my Blackberry 8700g (especially on the newest version of Opera Mini) and it is just fine (even speedy) to look something up quickly. I'm sure Apple's decision is based more on waiting for the 3G system to be up and operating completely throughout the U.S. Based on how ATT is already responding to the iPhone release, you can bet full 3G implementation on their network is just on the horizon.

fritter no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

there is a monthly price for wifi from the cell provider. It like the wifi that tmobile is doing for home usage for cell phones. correct me if im wrong.

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Quote Originally Posted by fritter
    there is a monthly price for wifi from the cell provider. It like the wifi that tmobile is doing for home usage for cell phones. correct me if im wrong.
    You can subscribe to a carrier's wi-fi system, but there are many just floating out there to grab for free.

Quote Originally Posted by fritter
    I'm not talking about AT&T's Wi-Fi. I'm talking Panera, Starbuck's, even McDonald's has free Wi-Fi. It's hard not to find free Wi-Fi around here. AT&T does't charge for other Wi-Fi connections.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345