Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Knowing the way Apple work, I think I might wait for the inevitable second edition, ... Apple iPhone forum

HarryMonk no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: MOVING TO AN IPHONE in JUNE!!

Advertisement

Knowing the way Apple work, I think I might wait for the inevitable second edition, probably ready for retail about three months after the first one, which will be slimmer, lighter and have new features!

mobilehavoc no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23ec80a2

It all depends what your primary purpose for it is. If you don't plan on frequently sending emails or chatting or basically anything that requires text input - it's a decent device. It's when you get to text input that things get hairy. Not only will it be difficult to type fast on a touch screen but as people said, no matter what material they use having your fingers constantly pressing all over the screen will leave dirt, oil and other residue. This will then hinder your view.

Also, not being able to change the battery if and when you would need to is ridiculous. The push email they refer to is just Yahoo IMAP which means your iPhone has to maintain a connection with your iMAP server which will drain your battery. Not as sophisticated as BB push.

Also no chance of it penetrating the corporate market with no support for Exchange or Domino integration...

In the end I think this first iPhone is simply what they said it is, a touch-screen iPod whose killer app is the phone.
    8100c - Personal on BIS
    8700c - Work on Corporate BES

"Only 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that don't"

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow Re: MOVING TO AN IPHONE in JUNE!!

Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc
    It all depends what your primary purpose for it is. If you don't plan on frequently sending emails or chatting or basically anything that requires text input - it's a decent device. It's when you get to text input that things get hairy. Not only will it be difficult to type fast on a touch screen but as people said, no matter what material they use having your fingers constantly pressing all over the screen will leave dirt, oil and other residue. This will then hinder your view.

I agree with your thoughts, but would add that not ALL business users are the same. Users cross a huge expanse as to what their needs are. I send and receive maybe 30 - 40 emails a day and based on all the other features the iPhone has, it will be worth having a device that correctly syncs all my data. That, and visual voicemail, and the extraordinary software to hardware relationship will get me to sign on. I'm sorry RIM just didn't see the value of its MAC users sooner on phones like the Pearl that are not so business oriented.

hls811 no está en línea I dress myself!
    PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

Quote Originally Posted by wclyffe
    I agree with your thoughts, but would add that not ALL business users are the same. Users cross a huge expanse as to what their needs are. I send and receive maybe 30 - 40 emails a day and based on all the other features the iPhone has, it will be worth having a device that correctly syncs all my data. That, and visual voicemail, and the extraordinary software to hardware relationship will get me to sign on. I'm sorry RIM just didn't see the value of its MAC users sooner on phones like the Pearl that are not so business oriented.
    I dont have any issues syncing my data.. Emails are done wirelessly, Contacts/Calendar seems to work for me with PocketMac, and now that I can install apps via PocketMac - I don't see any downside to use it vs. its windows counterpart. I can't figure what I'd gain as far as syncing an iPhone to my Mac vs my BB to my Mac.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Quote Originally Posted by hls811
    I dont have any issues syncing my data.. Emails are done wirelessly, Contacts/Calendar seems to work for me with PocketMac, and now that I can install apps via PocketMac - I don't see any downside to use it vs. its windows counterpart. I can't figure what I'd gain as far as syncing an iPhone to my Mac vs my BB to my Mac.
    I use PocketMac too (in fact, I was a Beta tester for them so I know all the issues) but, it still cannot sync a task date correctly, installing applications is about a 50/50 success rate, uninstalling apps does not work most of the time, notes are limited by length as are Calendar entries, there is no backup to your data or 3rd party apps unless you are a .Mac user, and of course, still no way to upgrade the OS on your phone. Yeah, it works...sort of, but its marginal and very slow. RIM just does not care that much for its MAC users.

jwlussow no está en línea Stack level 3

Pocketmac works maybe 50% of the time for me. I can't even install apps that are sold through the Poketmac site. Task dates don't work and contacts with more than 2 numbers dont sync correctly. Have you ever been able to update the phones software on a Mac? No.

Take another look at the Jeff Han video, then watch the first 3 iPhone commercials. Look familiar. The multi-touch on the iPhone will revolutionize a few industries. I'm pretty sure no one has used that type of multi touch screen before. I love people that are going to cut down a new BMW because they drove a Yugo once and didn't like it.

I honestly believe that Apple doesn't just want to release a phone, they want to change an industry. Will they succeed? Only time will tell, but it will be interesting.

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Quote Originally Posted by jwlussow
    I honestly believe that Apple doesn't just want to release a phone, they want to change an industry. Will they succeed? Only time will tell, but it will be interesting.
    I agree, and I think they already have changed the industry by the unique nature of the relationship they have shaped with AT&T.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

What's the iPhone

hls811 no está en línea I dress myself!
    PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

Quote Originally Posted by hayden
    What's the iPhone
    LMAO!!!

(and I'm a Mac guy!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."

Quote Originally Posted by jwlussow
    Pocketmac works maybe 50% of the time for me. I can't even install apps that are sold through the Poketmac site. Task dates don't work and contacts with more than 2 numbers dont sync correctly. Have you ever been able to update the phones software on a Mac? No.

Take another look at the Jeff Han video, then watch the first 3 iPhone commercials. Look familiar. The multi-touch on the iPhone will revolutionize a few industries. I'm pretty sure no one has used that type of multi touch screen before. I love people that are going to cut down a new BMW because they drove a Yugo once and didn't like it.

All true, and I've been using Macs since the very first ones arrived in the UK. But they're a bunch of cynical swines at Cupertino, and you just know they're already well ahead on the updated version. If I get a good deal on one, then it'll be goodbye RIM. I know the iPhone will do exactly what I want it to do, right out of the box.

I had to test a Samsung i320 a few weeks back for a publication. Nice phone, but you couldn't even use the browser without configuring it for 10 minutes. Unlike my BB, which worked right out of the box. And you know the iPhone will do the same thing, but with more style and the sort of features Mac users like us have come to expect.

RIM need to up their game big time if they hope to retain Apple Mac using customers. It would be very foolish to alienate the world's graphic artists, journalists, designers etc. etc!

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

They added a 4th spot today for the iPhone. It rocks!!

http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/

Thingus995 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23FA8180

Quote Originally Posted by HarryMonk
    All true, and I've been using Macs since the very first ones arrived in the UK. But they're a bunch of cynical swines at Cupertino, and you just know they're already well ahead on the updated version. If I get a good deal on one, then it'll be goodbye RIM. I know the iPhone will do exactly what I want it to do, right out of the box.

I had to test a Samsung i320 a few weeks back for a publication. Nice phone, but you couldn't even use the browser without configuring it for 10 minutes. Unlike my BB, which worked right out of the box. And you know the iPhone will do the same thing, but with more style and the sort of features Mac users like us have come to expect.

RIM need to up their game big time if they hope to retain Apple Mac using customers. It would be very foolish to alienate the world's graphic artists, journalists, designers etc. etc!
    i agree, considering in my parts, its those suave types who started using smartphones in the first place

i agree, considering in my parts, its those suave types who started using smartphones in the first place
    Exactly. The first people I saw using RIM products were all at the top of their game in web development. I should probably add that I'm a journalist, so these are the kinds of people I meet. Yes, RIM has done a great job in targetting heavy business users worldwide, but they're really missing a trick by alienating creatives who rely on Apple products for their day to day work.

I suppose as Mac users we're used to the products from other companies just not playing ball with our OS, but when there's a large chunk of money to be made, you have to question the logic behind RIM's decision to leave us out in the cold.

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Just released today.....

Apple's tooting its own horn about some new spec upgrades to its imminent iPhone. No, it's not 3G yet, GPS or anything crazy like that, but we'll settle for a battery life upgrade anytime, and screen durability doesn't hurt neither. Apple claims that its preliminary estimates of 5 hours of talk time, internet use and video playback were a tad conservative, and the iPhone instead will be boasting of 8 hours of chatting, 6 hours of internet, and 7 hours of video. Audio playback has been boosted from 16 to 24 hours, and standby is at a welcome 250 hours.

jwlussow no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by wclyffe
    Just released today.....

Apple's tooting its own horn about some new spec upgrades to its imminent iPhone. No, it's not 3G yet, GPS or anything crazy like that, but we'll settle for a battery life upgrade anytime, and screen durability doesn't hurt neither. Apple claims that its preliminary estimates of 5 hours of talk time, internet use and video playback were a tad conservative, and the iPhone instead will be boasting of 8 hours of chatting, 6 hours of internet, and 7 hours of video. Audio playback has been boosted from 16 to 24 hours, and standby is at a welcome 250 hours.
    That is good news since the battery was the only real problem I saw with the phone. If those numbers are true I am very satisfied.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast