Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have been on a blackberry for last 3 years. I started out on the ... Apple iPhone forum

djn151 no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile I just switched from a Bold 9700 to Iphone 4g, my thoughts.

Advertisement

I have been on a blackberry for last 3 years. I started out on the 8700, then the 8900, then the 9000 and finally the 9700. I found them all to be great phones. Because I just could no longer wait for blackberry to release a phone with a decent web browser, a boot time under 10 minutes, and a decent interface I am giving the Iphone a try. I probably would have went with a droid phone if AT&T offered a decent Android device but they don't.

Look and feel:

I love the feel of the new Iphone. I have never owned such a finely machined piece of hardware. It is almost a shame that I have to put a phone condom on this sucker. One good drop and I may be in the market for a new phone. I never felt the need to cover up my Bold 9700. The phone took a great beating and survived a few minor falls. I never got the feeling the 9700 would break if it fell. Yet still, the 9700 just does not feel anywhere near as solid as the 4g. The plastic of the 9700 really makes the phone lite which may contribute to its overall durability. The Iphone feels heavy and solid in a great way. I just love holding this phone. I just hope it survives the inevitable fall or two.

Battery:

Overall my bold can make it through a day+ on a full charge. The iphone really can't make it through a late dinner. Having said that the screen on the iphone is twice the size and lesser battery life is the price you pay for a large touchscreen. The battery life on my 4g is better than my wifes 3gs. I HATE that the battery can't be taken out of an Iphone. I seriously doubt that I will have this phone long enough to actually have to change the battery but it still pisses me off. I'm never gonna carry a 2nd battery anyway I guess. Overall I can live with the battery life on the 4g because I have a desk job and can charge the phone at work and then make it through the rest of the day, without any power saving guides. If i was on the road 12 hours plus, i would probably have a major problem with the battery life.

Browser:

I just died and went to heaven. The iphone is so far ahead of the blackberry on this that it does not even warrant a discussion. Flash? I really could care less, I feel that's much more of an issue on the Ipad. As of now no phones really support flash either. I know they are coming but still not yet.

Email:

The blackberry is more reliable, there is no doubt. The iphone displays html email way better. I much prefer viewing emails on the iphone. I love the folder support on the the iphone when I'm using an Exchange Account. I know with Bes5 the blackberry folder support is supposed to get much better but I have never been on bes5. Composing emails on the iphone is also a pleasant easy experience. Where the iphone loses points is with the reliability of it's email. I have on a few occasions sent emails that just took way to long to send. I wasn't even sure if the emails actually were sent by the iphone. Emails always seem to send quickly and efficiently on a bb. I may just be new at the iphone, i may revisit the reliability issue latter. With os4 you can now have multiple Exchange accounts which is very nice. I can setup my Gmail and my work email both as Exchange now.

Media Player:

I really never had a problem with the blackberry media player. It did the job. I love the functionality of the iphone earbuds with the controls. They and voice control just make switching and picking music easy when your running on a treadmill. Due to the control and voice control the iphone offers the better experience for me.

Itunes vs Blackberry Desktop:

I hate Itunes, i wanna kill it. Blackbery Desktop rules! Blackberry's are open. I love that you can just copy a song using a file manager. I love using my PC file manager to move video, music, pics etc with a bb. This issue alone was almost enough to keep me off iphone.

Calendar:

Blackberry is better. You can just go to a specific date and time and set an event. In the iphone you must add the event an then set the time of that event. Not a major gripe but a pit of pain.

Notifications:

Blackberry is so far ahead on this it's sad. No LED on a Iphone, wtf? How do you change the ringtone of an incoming email alert on a iphone? You cant, ***? The blackbery allows for various profiles which allows the user to change the alert for any type of event. You can set the volume, the vibrate and more. There is no end to the customization on the alerts on blackberry. Why does apple limit this? Apple even seems to go as far not letting apps into the app store that would add some of this customization. Jailbroken iphones have these apps. Come on apple let these apps in.

Screen:

There is simply no screen better than the iphone 4g at this point. It's beautiful, i can watch Youtube on this thing in HD all day long.

Viewing Photos:

The photos open and close very quickly on the iphone. I love swiping to go back and fourth. The pics just seem to float across the screen. The blackberry worked but it was ugly.

Camera:

The iphone 4g takes great pics and exhibits zero lag when doing so. Its so snappy i can take pics of my kids. My 9700 was okay but it was so slow. By the time the photo app opens on the bb the moment has passed. The iphone is so fast. the front camera is nice but I dont care.

Apps:

There may be a few good apps for the blackberry but they usually made my berry run like crap. Unless the app provided a major amount of value I tended to remove it quickly from the berry. Even if the app did provide a lot of value i generally might delete simply because it made my blackberry run slow. The iphone runs fast no matter how many apps you may install on it. There are thousand of apps available and really open up limitless possibilities on the iphone. I really don't see blackberry ever improving in this area. Iphone is hands down the winner here. The iphone apps are so polished. I just wish apple would approve the apps that add customization to the general functionality of the phone. I know an app to toggle on/off wifi and bluetooth is available for jailbroken iphones, why is this app not being approved?

I still have 25 days to return the phone... I'm torn after 5 days.

David N
    www.paper-scanning-services.com

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Thanks very much for your thoughts on the iPhone 4 - and the comparisaon with the BB. I do agree with most of what you say. The IPhone is a charmer but somehow it's difficult to tear away from a 9700. Especially regarding battery life and efficient work environment details. Profile set up is a great bonus on the BB.
    If only we could blend the virtues of both smartphones into one... It would be much better.
    Thanks for your input.

VayneJayne no está en línea Stack level 1
    Give it a month and you'll wonder why you didn't keep the blackberry and just buy an ipod touch. I felt the same way when I got my iPhone 4g and then month later, I was over it.

I just returned my iphone and got the blackberry 9700 and I'm SO much happier.
    Mind you, I agree with all you said about the iphone and it does have it's advantages but it wasn't enough to make me LOVE it the way I do Blackberry.

RIM does need to pick up the pace and start manufacturing something a little more updated and snazzier but when it comes to utility, the iphone really didn'tt capture my heart the way Blackberry did.
    I mean, how many Fart apps do you really need? :P

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Good job on the review.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I ageree entirely with VaynJayn - there's so much rubbish in applications for the IPhone, it's nauseatung. But tell me, how many do we need and that work? Zilch ! Nutting...waste of time !

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    If I had a nickel everytime someone used the fart app as a reason not to buy an iPhone, I'd be rich. Do you really believe that is all the iPhone has to offer?

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    That's not the reason - but it's a great selling point. As for the rest, and remember I DO OWN a 3GS, it's pure semantics...or, pedantics for that matter !
    To add to my last post, there is great urgency in RIM releasing the OS 6,0 - then we can do without the only temptattion of all the entertainment offerings of the IPhone. Entertainment ...sigh! I wish I had time for that when I work...and then again, in my free times I tend to put the entertainment packages away. Nothing like friends and human relations for that.
    Last edited by Delfim; 06-28-2010 at 07:39 AM.

djn151, great review and comparison. Full of objective thoughts and analysis, but it brings us back to a point we've been making for a while: The Eye Phone and the BlackBerry are difficult to compare because they have different purposes and audiences. I don't envy you the next couple of weeks, its going to be a tough decision!
    Last edited by Mark Stone; 06-28-2010 at 09:12 AM. Reason: badd speeling

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    If I had a nickel everytime someone used the fart app as a reason not to buy an iPhone, I'd be rich. Do you really believe that is all the iPhone has to offer?
    If I had a nickel for everytime someone used the Fart ap - - - - I'd have a nickel. lol - - Really - they have a fart application?!?

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I don't think your torn, I think your feeling a sense of loyalty. What is the 1 thing you always do when using any phone or smartphone?

1. Look at the screen
    2. Interact with what is on that screen.

You even mentioned the one very important word I often use for good reason. Coming from a Bold myself I understand many of your points. The keyword is "Polished". The iPhone Apps and App Store have raised the bar for everyone because it''s Polished and every single small, minute detail is thought out giving the user a more enjoyable experience.

Since your a Windows person I feel your pain with iTunes however I dumped Windows years ago for good reason and now don't have to deal with that pain.
    One question for the OP. Which device is more seamless?

When I had my Bold I had to use a cable at home and at work in order to keep everything in sync and to prevent double or triple entry. The iPhone offered a seamless way to never touch a cable to sync and keep all my devices populated with the same information. The only time I need to use any cable is to backup or charge the battery.

Great review and glad to see another person give something new a try, even if it's only for 30 days.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^ SRL I assume you use MobileMe for the sync. I believe (info from another thread) that MobileMe is now free ? Can you confirm that. 'cause I still see it with a annual subscription ...

PIN/ID
    Retired
    It's not free yet. It's still the $69 a year. I think everyone is still in a holding pattern waiting for an announcement on that. Yes I was referring to MM but you could also use DropBox, Google and others to achieve the same results.

ajaxn2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    i sync wirelessly with Google and have not had an issue with it.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    You know? I had to stop back long enough to share another thought on this Thread topic. I've said this before in many other threads but it's actually part of all these type of threads on the topic of which device is better for me or my daily grind.

Apple and Android devices are doing a few things that RIM has not managed to pick up on as much just yet. With each new device that is purchased or chosen by the user they are finding Apps that suit their needs and love to use for many reasons. Those Apps are keeping the user from jumping ship to another platform b/c they either like them so much or use them and depend on having them.

MobileMe is an example (for me). It's going to be much harder over time to pull a person from a platform. The carrier in the next 5 years will not be as important as it may be now. The Data streams and cell signals will begin to fall in line (LTE) where the user get the same type of service and now only needs to focus on the device that suits them best for their needs.

Does that make any sense? Sometimes I don't explain my thoughts clearly when posting.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Don't worry SRL. Of course it makes sense...MobileMe actually Works Well (as compared to Google) - I'll wait for the free version. My gripe with Apple regarding MobileMe Was that they debited my CC without my authority (after the trial period) - and I battled to have the value back. But I Did after about 3 months...iTunes is not my favourite. Pay first claim later is a no good situation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast