Hi everyone, is the gps application free on the iphone? I mean do I have ... Apple iPhone forum

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784

Question Is GPS free on the iphone?

Advertisement

Hi everyone, is the gps application free on the iphone? I mean do I have to pay separately for the service like they do to us blackberry users with att telenav or whatever it's called. I think they charge $10 for it on a monthly basis. Personally, i've never paid for gps on my phone while at AT&T. Shhh...they don't know I used amAzeGPS until recently. They just released version 5.0 which does require purchasing. I'm thinking about jumping ship because of this reason. If the gps is free on the iphone then that would be ideal for me. Not only would I enjoy a new platform but also free gps all included and save $240+tax in a matter of two years with the contract I'll be in. Please shed some light on the matter if anyone knows the answer to this puzzle. Thanks in advance. Turn by turn that is
    Last edited by raton; 11-21-2009 at 03:58 PM.
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Nevermind I just did some research and there isn't a free app from what I can see. You pretty much have to pay $80 for tomtom or some other apps alike which go around the same price. Oh well, back to the bb world

Please close thread.
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    huh...
    google maps is amazing and they are coming out with google nav soon. Also if you are jailbroken you can get quite a few more.
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Google Maps is awesome on the iPhone and when they release the turn by turn Voice App it will be even better.

evo1725 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    Nevermind I just did some research and there isn't a free app from what I can see. You pretty much have to pay $80 for tomtom or some other apps alike which go around the same price. Oh well, back to the bb world

Please close thread.
    lmao damn raton you're so cheap!!! J/k
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Raton, I suggest you just stick with getting the 9700 tomorrow LMAO You're sounding like me (and I'm now looking at the CLIQ or HTC Touch Pro 2 on T-Mobile, BUT will get the 9700).

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    he needs to get an iphone and quit worrying about the led light, you can do anything a blackberry can do the same if not better on an iphone.

lol he keeps coming back but has yet to pursue one, if he didnt want to at least try it he wouldnt keep asking about it.

You can always take it back within the 30 days if you dont like it.
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

bmay82 no está en línea Stack Professional
    You will love it! Just take the plunge and get an iphone rat! I dont miss that annoying light at all maybe at first but now it's kinda nice....gives me a reason to play with my phone.

ohad_129 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    237be374
    Try telmap its free for BB maybe for iphone

neilbu no está en línea Stack level 2
    Just downloaded Nav4All - a **FREE** GPS app with voice directions. Used it for a while on my Curve and found it to be OK, but not intuitive enough. iPhone version appears to be better in that regard - all new UI. I plan to give a test run tomorrow on a trip across the local area.

***NEIL***

ReggieSmith no está en línea Stack level 3
    I use MapQuest on my iPhone. It has accurate maps but doesn't seem to have "traffic" integrated. The maps provided by Google, for me anyway, always seem to be outdated. (I live in a 4 year old subdivision and none of the streets are on the maps in Google Maps or the "Maps" program provided by Apple.)

But, in answer to the initial question, GPS is free. No one pays for the feeds from the GPS satellites that provide location, distance and speed information. What you CAN be charged for is all the "fluff" that goes around it. Some apps charge for the UI and add'l features such as turn by turn, etc., and others don't charge for that at all. Whatever you do use, you typically get charged by your carrier for the map downloads. (Most of the apps download the maps on-demand, which cuts down on using up storage with maps you'll never use and keeps you up-to-date with the most current maps.)

Just look around and you'll undoubtedly find an app that suits your needs. (I personally cannot see paying $90 for the tomtom app or paying a monthly subscription fee.
    ------

From time to time, you have to wonder...... What was I saying?

neilbu no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by neilbu View Post
    Just downloaded Nav4All - a **FREE** GPS app with voice directions. Used it for a while on my Curve and found it to be OK, but not intuitive enough. iPhone version appears to be better in that regard - all new UI. I plan to give a test run tomorrow on a trip across the local area.

***NEIL***
    Worked like a charm. Perhaps not as full-featured as Garmin or Tom-Tom, but good enough. The iPhone UI is definitely better than the version I ran on my BB.