Could this combination change how we purchase cell phones in 2010? iPod Touch (or any ... Apple iPhone forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

iPod Touch+MiFi+GV App

Advertisement

Could this combination change how we purchase cell phones in 2010?

iPod Touch (or any Touch device with WiFi) +MiFi (Mobile Hotspot, any brand) +GV App (VoiP phone)

I've been thinking about this for several months and have not posted about it here yet. I'm curious what other PS Members think about this combination. There are certainly other options that are similar and I'm not partial to any Brand but rather the appliances themselves with the correct Apps.

With the combination listed above I would have everything available to me currently with my Smartphone but without a Traditional carrier contract. Could this be a long term usable solution to our Traditional Cell phone package we tend to become a slave to?
    Last edited by srl7741; 09-20-2009 at 03:07 PM.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I have been using my iPod Touch at home and in a few locations where I can get a WiFi signal and have just about given up my BlackBerry except for texting and phone calls.

disturkis4u no está en línea Stack level 3
    And how are you getting mifi without a contract?? And gv does use minutes doesn't it??
    BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.100 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    Few flaws in your plan:
    1. ipod touch doesnt have a microphone so you would have to use an external mic or bluetooth.
    2. GV Mobile requires a phone to make calls, you could only sms and download your messages without it.
    3. You need to use a VoIP app such as Truphone, Fring, Skype, etc... http://www.voip-sol.com/iphone-voip-...es-for-iphone/

I made this suggestion to another user a while back, it seems like a viable plan but you would still be paying 60 bucks a month and would always have to carry 2 devices on you at all times if you wanted to use your ipod to make and receive calls.

I guess if you kept it in your car and had an open wifi network at work and home you would never have to worry about it, but if you wanted to take it with you somewhere where it didnt have service you would have to worry.

Just my .02, I have thought about doing something like that even before owning a iphone back when all I had was my ipod touch and a dream. lol
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I agree but it was posted as a question. We are living on the edge of being able to dump our traditional options and get the same services. It's not really complete yet but will 2010 bring something more that could allow this to work? I like the idea of MiFi but don't see where it can be useful at the moment. Maybe for a few certain situations but that limits your user base.
    What if your contract is up and you choose not to renew it. Then purchase a MiFi device and use the two together. Would that work? Other than being stuck with two devices could this be a better option?

I'm trying to better understand what is driving the MiFi? It's not appealing, yet it's being sold.

PIN/ID
    neorabid
    iPhone doesnt have UMA abilities so it wouldnt work if thats what your asking.
    The iPhone would however be a better starting canidate for a VoIP program as it already has a built in mic and phone. Although without a phone plan pretty much makes it useless unless you are on wifi with VoIP.

Only flaw with programs like truphone is that it has to be between program users so this limits your access to who you can call to just ipod/iphone people. I havent tried fring or skype yet but im sure there is some limitations as well.

The benefit of mifi is mostly to people who live in rural areas who have no reasonably priced alternatives for highspeed internet access or than costly satellite internet which IMO is not worth the money they charge, I have hughesnet because im in a deadzone for all internet except it and I cant even get on xbox live or PS network because the ping is SOOO high. 80 bucks a month for 1.2mbps/down 256kbps/up and im limited to 300mb downloads a day, pretty unfair and awfully misleading. but they only give you 200 of your 400 bucks back if you cancel in the first month otherwise your pretty much sol and stuck for 2 yrs. When I lived in town I had 10mbps/down 1mbps/up for 60 bucks a month and I got basic cable included in the price.
    Anways got off topic there a bit, back to reasons why people would need a mifi:
    1. Internet anywhere Always connected (if in covered service area), I think up to 5 devices if im not mistaken. ie. laptop on the go, phone, ipod, ds, xbox, ps3, wii, etc... great for family travel
    2. No complicating setup to have a home network and running it anywhere in your house rather than a fixed place.
    3. 3G speeds (if in a good coverage area) that rival most DSL competitors plans.

Only flaws I could see to the mifi is that your probably capped off at 5gb a month on an "unlimited plan" just like on AT&T and its 60 bucks a month.

Yeah we are in a time now where something like this is probably close upon us, just hasnt been a good substitute for good ole cellular phone carriers that I know of.

If you had a phone that had UMA capabilities and had a mifi then it just might work out perfect because then you wouldnt be limited to VoIP apps you would be dialing and receiving straight from the phone. but then again I dont know too much about how exactly the UMA feature works and if it requires a plan to use it.
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.

PIN/ID
    neorabid
    well just looked up how UMA works looks like thats pretty much out of the picture.
    http://stevehanov.ca/blog/index.php?id=38
    Quotes to live by:

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Post #6 sums it up pretty well. We are not there yet. May not even make it but it's been on my mind. Actually now I'm beginning to think we are being taken advantage of even more than I thought before. Carriers keep offering new splinter options to services we already have rather than developing or expanding their footprints.

How old is 3G? I still don't have it unless I travel 10 minutes down the road and stay in the area but that's another story for another thread.

PIN/ID
    neorabid
    yeah I have to drive 5 miles before I get any 3g signal, I can if I stand in the right place in the right position at the right height get 1 bar of 3g in my house. lol and they say my house is in THE BEST coverage area I laugh at there silly maps and false promises. I pretty much just keep my phone on edge otherwise my phone dies searching for signal.
    Quotes to live by: