GizmoRepublic Since Apple released iPhone, comparisons and speculation of market-battle between RIM and Apple have ... Apple iPhone forum

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A

Arrow iPhone vs Blackberry: 3G War Round One

Advertisement

GizmoRepublic

Since Apple released iPhone, comparisons and speculation of market-battle between RIM and Apple have been inevitable. Now it looks like the two will finally go toe-to-toe in the 3G Smartphone arena. But RIM has announced delays of its upcoming 3G device in a possible feint to the left.

RIM’s Blackberry sits securely in domination of the business-phone but has been branching into the consumer friendly media-phone market with efforts like Curve.

Now the mobile business giant is preparing the release of the 3G Blackberry 9000. It’s also rumored to be working on its own touch-screen, media friendly Blackberry that’s being hailed as a potential iPhone killer.

[Full Article]

Last edited by hayden; 04-28-2008 at 04:25 PM. Reason: removed hotlinked image. Violation of PinStack's terms of use.
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

GeneKam no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    232D8D38
    Nice find, but the way i see it, the touch screen on the blackberry is quite useless. I personally dont see any use for it besides more interactive browsing within the media menu, otherwise it looks absolutely unnecessary! And in reference to the iPhone killer, the device itself (iPhone) is not that good at all, its nice but nothing amazing, what really makes the device great is the os, thats the core of the iPhone! If only RIM build a better os then the crappy java toy looking os, the blackberry would spread through out consumer market! Dont get me wrong, they already have after the release of the pearl, Blackberry has infiltrated the consumer market, but the main part that is oh so far behind apple is the OS. Apple has always been known for its superior designs, their hardware and software is always designed to be innovative, i personally see RIM has done the same thing with the whole new way of navigation thanks to the track ball, all they need to do is get an improved os, and they will be back on top of both consumer market.
    "Drive by tornado-kicking, boy, i wish i could see that" - Yaku
    "Yeah! It was epic" - Gene

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I think RIM is going to give apple a run for their money.

cpk3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    RIM already owns the market...

Apple is going to have to step up and give RIM a run for the money in my opinion.

PIN/ID
    232D8D38
    Quote Originally Posted by cpk3 View Post
    RIM already owns the market...

Apple is going to have to step up and give RIM a run for the money in my opinion.
    Thats true, i would have to say that unless this 9000 will be a total killer, (Which i think it is not, as the os still looks like crap, now just a little more towards sony psp and ps3 os) Apple is infact going to dominate the market.
    You all have to remember that rim has been in celluar world for years and apple has just recently entered, AND is already doing quite well! I predict that unless RIM really works hard on this and makes this 9000 series truly innovative, Apple will rip them apart peace by peace!
    Alot of you also dont realize that rim has numerous devices out for all typed of users, while apple has only a single device that works well for everyone. In my opinion apple, at this rate, will take over the RIM and will crash their share value.

cpk3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Apple smapple... The only reason they are doing well now is the Cool factor, and the how every many Mac owners that bought one.

I have played with one and I just don't see the WOW factor. Plus I challenge anyone to prove to me that they can type faster on the onscreen keyboard than I an on my 8310.

Just like Mac's the iPhone will not cross into the business world well. How many push e-mail packages are there for iPhone?... .Umm...Ummm wait for it ... ummm ... None.... How many will there be?..... ummm ummm.. Not many cause apple is close source and will not let anyone have access to the iPhone kernel. Even the SDK that is out, apple has to approve the application, and test it before they will release it on iTunes, which is the biggest rip off in the world.

Open platform development of applications is what has made the Blackberry OS so unique. Yeah the OS is simple in design. Sometimes simple is better. Plus the ability to develop apps to customize Blackberry to the business needs far out ways the cool factor when it comes to an enterprise ready device. That is where this war will be won. iPhone has a long way to go.
    Last edited by cpk3; 04-28-2008 at 04:18 PM.

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A

Plus I challenge anyone to prove to me that they can type faster on the onscreen keyboard than I an on my 8310.
    Someone should hold an underground "Type-off" between BlackBerries and iPhones. Lol.
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

PIN/ID
    232D8D38
    hah, i am a mac user, and i hate the damn thing, i prefer my BB over the overrated iphone, the thing sucks. Although apple is sure giving them the run for their money (RIM). And MAc's go quite well into the businesses world, alot of banks in japan has switched to the Mac only systems, Apple is working their way into the money world while still keeping that touch with the artistic people.

Robm no está en línea Stack level 2
    I am somewhat surprised that apple was able to come into a market and dominate all the other phone vendors out there...will be interesting to see how well Rim fairs now that apple is gunning for them

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3
    keep in mind apple dominated in the states only and didn't do so well in other markets.

ArgonNJ no está en línea Stack level 2
    Apple smapple... The only reason they are doing well now is the Cool factor, and the how every many Mac owners that bought one.
    Maybe at first, but its now a year later and they are still selling well. Your statement is full of holes, sorry.

ArgonNJ no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by dubai_bb View Post
    keep in mind apple dominated in the states only and didn't do so well in other markets.
    Its been out in the states longer and is just starting to saturate other markets.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Apple has done it's best to create a fashion phone that has wide appeal to people who know nothing about phones.
    Thus we have the iPhone. Counting on the "halo effect" of the iPod Apple has succeeded. Next, one must admit that as a fashion statement the iPhone looks stunning sitting next to your latte at Starbucks.

This is the type of ego building device that is demanded by the people who thrive on "being seen". Thus it really doesn't matter how this phone functions. These customers don't have a clue what 3G is. Thus Apple was able to build the phone using the old technology & no one knew or cared. This is a pattern of profit taking at Apple that has prevailed for years & is the very reason the Apple has so much cash. When you charge the prices that include a massive profit for the mfg, the result is obvious.

At the very same time the manufacturers that care about their customers were all building 3G phones.

When iPhone sales began to collapse, Steve Jobs took immediate action & slashed the price by $200 per phone. Thereby devaluing the phones that were purchased by their loyal early adopters. Ladies especially, are used to these tactics when buying clothes, therefore the price slashing was something they could identify with. Older wealthier ladies with no clue about technology were ommediately drawn to the "cute little phone". Thus once again Steve Jobs brilliant marketing worked very well.

In our world wide market there is plenty of room for shiny gadgets. Thus going forward the iPhone should do very well until the next fad comes along.
    (wap.pinstack.com)~