Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I found this in an Information Week article on the AT&T job cuts. No wonder ... Apple iPhone forum

paullamm no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319b4998

iPhone sales hurt AT&T profits

Advertisement

I found this in an Information Week article on the AT&T job cuts. No wonder that some carriers passed on sell it.

"Indeed, its iPhone has given the carrier a big boost in subscribers, although those sales have hurt profit margins as AT&T offers subsidies on the phone."

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    link to article?

paullamm no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319b4998
    Here's the link.

http://mobile.informationweek.com/device/article.php?mid=63&CALL_URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.infor mationweek.com%2Fnews%2Fmanagement%2Ftrends%2Fshow Article.jhtml%3Bjsessionid%3DIUPC3RGCHYEHAQSNDLOSK H0CJUNN2JVN%3FarticleID%3D212201864%26subSection%3 DManagement

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    Thanks for the link!

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    And yet at the end of the day, the iPhone has brought a lot of new customers into the AT&T user base and that in itself will pay them back handsomely over time.

Quote Originally Posted by paullamm View Post
    I found this in an Information Week article on the AT&T job cuts. No wonder that some carriers passed on sell it.

"Indeed, its iPhone has given the carrier a big boost in subscribers, although those sales have hurt profit margins as AT&T offers subsidies on the phone."
    However if we step back and look at the big picture it's very typical of American companies to manipulate their profit margin by laying off workers to reduce costs which is the fastest and easiest way to increase the bottom line. Fair... no. But very real.

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ yea after all the subscribers AT&T stole from other carriers, making them pay anywhere from (now)$199 to (then) $499 for a device and wrap into a mandatory $69.99+ contract for 2yrs. That's $1,680 per subscriber after their term is fulfilled. A LOT of income for ATT. No idea how that is making them cut jobs. But they could always cut their plans by a few bucks, that would make me switch to them.

Quote Originally Posted by maz94protege View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ yea after all the subscribers AT&T stole from other carriers, making them pay anywhere from (now)$199 to (then) $499 for a device and wrap into a mandatory $69.99+ contract for 2yrs. That's $1,680 per subscriber after their term is fulfilled. A LOT of income for ATT. No idea how that is making them cut jobs. But they could always cut their plans by a few bucks, that would make me switch to them.
    Disclaimer: I am in no way sticking up for AT&T. Nor am I an iPhone hater.

However the facts where the iPhone is concerned are quite different than the rest of AT&T's rate plan business.

Apple is well known as a very controlling, arrogant, elitist company. Witness the fact that they never discount their products under any circumstances. When they entered into a contract with AT&T, they - Apple - dictated the terms of every aspect of iPhone sales, and rate plans. For every single iPhone that is sold by AT&T, as well as EVERY iPhone activated, Apple get's a cut of the money. In order to do that and still make a small profit AT&T's pricing had to be what it is. And Apple dictated that as well.

So while I certainly agree that AT&T could cut it's rate plans a bit and give all of us (non iPhone) users a break. It is what it is. Steve Jobs and company fleecing as many people as they can.

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ oh absolutely, I'm not saying you were. I love apple and I'm hooked on macs. But I quit working for apple because of their controlling ways. Like the economy, we will have to ride it out and just wait and see.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Apple is well known as a very controlling, arrogant, elitist company. Witness the fact that they never discount their products under any circumstances.
    Not entirely true. They will discount just about any product they offer, except the Iphone. They offer a rather nice education discount as well, and they had a BF sale with 15-25% off (yeah not huge when looking into their base pricing), but hey they did offer at least something.

Quote Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
    Not entirely true. They will discount just about any product they offer, except the Iphone. They offer a rather nice education discount as well, and they had a BF sale with 15-25% off (yeah not huge when looking into their base pricing), but hey they did offer at least something.
    Your're right, I stand corrected as I did forget about the Education purchase program they have, even if they only offer the most modest of discounts.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not an Apple hater, I use their products, have owned several new laptops etc. I simply detest their arrogance and the way they say one thing and do another.

Cheers

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Best way to sum it up :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kuJpAq-poo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poREl...ext=1&index=38

Really good job from the Simpson's authors.

They go a long way from their initial thought ...
    As Archer said they say something and do something else.

Original campaign :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecf...id=event_63984
    Last edited by ranxoren; 12-10-2008 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    Best way to sum it up :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kuJpAq-poo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poREl...ext=1&index=38

Really good job from the Simpson's authors.

They go a long way from their initial thought ...
    As Archer said they say something and do something else.

Original campaign :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecf...id=event_63984
    Great Stuff!

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4
    Yeah a great episode. I agree on the do as I say attitude. Was talking to an Apple Rep and their stand on the whole Jailbreaking issue just cracks me up. He was stating that it wasn't good for the company or the device, but had no answer when I countered his claim. I stated that if it was so bad for the device, "why was co-founder, Steve Wozniak, going public saying that he believed in Jailbreaking and preferred to use his device in that manner and state." Here we have the co-founder of Apple stating this on the record and in interviews, and yet Apple still clings to its stance of no Jailbreaking.

Also the education discount is fairly significant, considering you can get any newly released device at about 20% off (at least that is for my small school, others get even better, like UCLA). They don't limit it to older devices either. I can order online or walk into any store and get the discount the day it is released, which is better than some other companies do (cell companies excepted).

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    i have also noticed some VERY slow speeds on my blackberries since the iphone released. do you all think its because of all the new iphones on the network? does att need to do some upgrading? and i'm not even talking 3g ... i don't even get that in my area yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast