1-4.jpg CNN has a list of their biggest tech "fails" of 2010 and the #1 ... Apple iPhone forum

MisterGooglehead no está en línea Stack level 2

iPhone’s ‘antennagate’ biggest tech fail of 2010 (according to CNN)

Advertisement

1-4.jpg
    CNN has a list of their biggest tech "fails" of 2010 and the #1 spot is the iPhone 4 antenna issue, aka "antennagate." Perhaps it was inevitable that the hubris of Apple's past decade would eventually catch up with the company.

Antennagate, as you may recall, was the issue around a precipitous drop in "bars" (the apparent reception on your iPhone) when the iPhone 4 was held in the "death grip." I experienced this on launch day, even had a few dropped calls when putting the lower left corner of the phone into my palm. But according to Apple in a rare press event to address the issue, less than 1% of iPhone owners actually reported this issue to Apple.

Nevertheless, CNN also notes that the issue has quietly faded away (after a bumper giveaway and OS update or two), and the phone is still a huge seller. The fail appears to have been a mere blip. It certainly didn't have as widespread an effect as the Gawker media sites being hacked, which came in at number seven.- via The Unofficial Apple Weblog
    Link: http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/28/cnn-s...-fail-of-2010/
    Hello!

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Horribly blown out of proportion. This happens to almost all devices. Just so happens it's apple and that's the only reason it's front page news. Met ion the fact that several of the high end androids have worse results in low signal areas but that just falls on deaf ears. Apple has put themselves on a pedestal and if they blink wrong it's front page news.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Quote Originally Posted by BHP77 View Post
    Horribly blown out of proportion. This happens to almost all devices. Just so happens it's apple and that's the only reason it's front page news. Met ion the fact that several of the high end androids have worse results in low signal areas but that just falls on deaf ears. Apple has put themselves on a pedestal and if they blink wrong it's front page news.
    BHP hit the nail on the head. Mine worked flawlessly. As I've said before, if it was any other company besides Jobs Inc, we wouldn't even have heard about it.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    I disagree with CNN as far as "biggest tech fail". I would have to day the Microsoft Kin or Google Nexus 1 are bigger failures, especially since both have been discontinued so quickly.

destris no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    22DA72A9
    Agree that the Microsoft Kin was by far the biggest failure. I think it was available for only 3 months or less. But as far as the iPhone ... Who cares!

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ... I had the opportunity in a previous thread, to quote Shakespeare:
    "Much ado about nothing" !
    Flops and successes are the cornerstone of manufacturing...And innovative products ! Depends much on which side of the lobby fence you're on !

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    I'd say 2010's epic fail was that Android phone that exploded on that guy's ear who had money to purchase such an expensive phone pay for its expensive data plan put an insurance on the phone yet forgot to get insurance for himself in case umm...something like this ever happened to him. Droid DOES explode too
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^the Hemroid that explode in the guys ear ? That didn´t convince me Raton.
    Also, the iPhone overheating and cracking the screen. Remember that one ?
    In Portuguese we have a saying (I´m sure you guys have a similar one) :
    "God gave walnuts to those who haven´t any teeth."
    Get the drift ?
    Last edited by Delfim; 01-02-2011 at 11:17 AM.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    ^^ Hey my friend from the other side of the world. How the eon flux have you been? I did like the first gen iPhone that supposedly exploded on some Asian dude's shirt pocket and caused him to die I think. Something like that happened or so I heard. Every phone has a flaw just too bad the ones usually reported are from the one that's always on top. The same issues if not similar issues were reported back when RIM was on top and the list goes on.

Happy New Year bro
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^ Feliz Ano Novo !

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    I don't know about the Microsoft Kin, but I do know Google's Nexus One was a bigger failure than anything barring that. My iPhone 4 had no issues and no dropped calls except for one of my old lecture halls.
    But in that same breath, if you want to be at the top, be prepared for top notch scrutiny. I just think it's unfair.... (and screw CNN anyway... Show us the truth about world events and what's really happening in Afghanistan.... But I digress....)

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    I was sore at Apple for releasing a phone with such a bizarre issue, cause for the first time I wanted an iPhone. After my Nexus 1 took a dump on me I decided to try it and see what the hype was about.

I was upset. I usually prefer my phone's like how I like my women, naked and in the palm of my hand, but I knew that soon I would get over it, and enjoy my clothed magical beauty.

Was the issue overblown? I don't know? If you sell the most popular device to millions of people should they be informed of what they are getting into? Sure they do. Was the iPhone going to be a fail of a device cause of it? No, of course not. If it happened to another company would have it been different? Probably.

Drasadex no está en línea Stack level 3
    Apple really screwed up with the iPhone 4. They should hire people who are actualy skilled in network connection type stuff. That way, if another iPhone comes out, it won't have the same issue.

littleacorn no está en línea Stack Professional
    i think if they werent so hung up on the aesthetic, this would have been a non-issue but come on...

DIDNT ANYONE TEST THIS THING?!

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    They did test it, and then they invented the lovely bumper.