Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone had an iphone and was using it on ... Apple iPhone forum

Heatley2001 no está en línea Stack level 2

iphone question

Advertisement

Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone had an iphone and was using it on t mobile? I have t mobile and would really like an iphone but I was wondering if anyone had unlocked/jailbroken one and if any problems have happened and if it was worth it.

Also which ones are easy to unlock/jailbreak? I heard the new 3g and 3gs ones you couldnt. Would I have to find one of the original iphones 1g/2g?

Any help would be great. Thank you.

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    You can unlock any iPhone thats not a problem, it just depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to be a power user I would recommend the 3GS, if you just want to be a casual user I would get a 3G first then the 2G. If and when you do get a iPhone just send me a PM or post on here and i'll help you get setup.
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    You can use it on TMO if it is unlocked. It won't be 3G speed though. It will be 2G Edge. You would also need some type of data package from TMO if you want email and web, but if you are on wifi, that is free. Maybe find an iPhone 3GS that is already unlocked to save you from doing it.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

Thanks for the help guys. I know I want it for the web,email, maps and other things. I heard that apple made something to where the new 3gs couldnt be unlocked or jailbroken. but i could be wrong.

I do have a data plan with t mobile right now and unlimited text and data.

Would it be easier to find a cheap 3g/3gs or an orginal thats unlocked? Im going to be a new user to the iphone.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    I bought my iPhone 3GS in Sept 09 and it had 3.1.2 OS installed on it, but I was able to jailbreak and unlock mine using Blackra1n/Blacksn0w. If you can find a used one on craigslist.com that is already jailbroken and unlocked, that might be the way to go. If you do find a used one and it is not jailbroken, it is pretty easy to do. Buying a brand new one outright at retail might get pretty expensive.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    If you are given a choice I would recomend the GS. The spec bumps become more important as time goes bye and we are 6 months into that release. It does handle things a bit smoother and the difference in price may not be that much.

The 3GS should work great on TMo after unlocking it. Remember to turn off 3G in settings since you can't use it.

You will love the phone it's a texting, email, web surfing machine.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

thanks matts. do you have t mobile?

does the apps and all still work without any problems? any bugs?

would the 3g work great on t mobile also or just 3gs? I dont want to spend alot on one and it not work.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    All Apps will work no matter what network is used and the 3G will work just fine. The GS just has additional memory and spec bumps like video camera, finger print resistant screen etc.

nice. 3g sounds to be the way to go. now if i can find one at a good price. lol.

jen1025 no está en línea Stack level 2
    just wanted to add that all iphones can be unlocked but the newest 3gs's have to be tethered. that may be what you have heard. with tethered, if you turn the phone off then back on.. you cant use it (for anything/at all) until connecting it to the computer and running the jailbreak program again. just the ones made since september(ish). if you find one that's older or possibly even a refurbished one, youll be fine. ive got a 3gs on tmobile with no problems

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    yep, its a PITA having a tethered 3GS especially when you are a power user and are always doing crazy things with your phone
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

jen1025 no está en línea Stack level 2
    i would imagine! i almost always have my laptop with me, but it's still not something i would want to deal with.

i think im going to steer clear of the 3gs's and aim for a 3g. seems like it would be eaiser.