An article surfaced today discussing the next iPhone and the possibilities of multitasking. I've always ... Apple iPhone forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

iPhone OS 4.0 (Multitasking)

Advertisement

An article surfaced today discussing the next iPhone and the possibilities of multitasking. I've always thought
    Multitasking on a computer and multitasking on a smart phone were two entirely different things.
    Multitasking on a smart phone can be a tricky thing and I've always asked? Are we really multitasking?
    For the moment lets just use this example. Two or more Apps running at the same time as our definition
    of multitasking.

Multitasking is nice but not vital for me while mobile. I admit it's certainly nice to talk on the phone
    while still sending out new texts or Tweets or even read email. So while Apple's current iPhone will
    do all this now it would be neat if they have found a new way to allow all 3rd party Apps to do this.

When allowing this to occur we have several things (as the user) to pay attention to.
    Available memory, Apps running, A method of stopping the Apps, and running the risk of
    crashing due to lack of resources while entering data on the device screen ultimately loosing
    everything we were working on.

AppleInsider has offered some new information about iPhone OS 4 Dot 0 and Multitasking

"The upcoming 4.0 reference release of Apple's iPhone OS will deliver new support for running multiple concurrent third party apps, and allow users to switch between them using a windows management mechanism similar to one made popular on the company's Mac OS X operating system."

Read More

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    tabbed-like multitasking would be nice.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Here is a pretty good read on iPhone and Android multi-tasking. I don't comment to often on the topic b/c it tends to be a topic that is mis-understood and means different things to each person. This kind of helps to better understand how a mobile device fits or does not fit into the multi-tasking category.

Link

Enjoy

BoSoxFan82 no está en línea Stack level 4
    For everyone who have installed os 4.0 on their iPhone 3Gs: How does it hold up? Any issues? Do you feel that while having a few apps open that the phone lags or runs any slower? Is it as user frienldly as the 3.0's and how has the interface changed? Sorry, I've got a lot of questions but mostly the reason why I joined and love the stacks. Any other info I could get would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Donny
    ~Via Motorola Droid X~

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    The 4 iOs runs pretty much the same as before. Even with multiple programs running I don't detect any perceptible lag. Multitasking is a great, and long overdue feature.

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F
    As long as you dont put OS 4.0 / 4.0.1 on your 3G like i did, your phone will be fine. 3.1.3 was the best OS, for the 3G iPhone. Luckily i was able to get rid of the device last night after constant frustrations of owning a laggy, non productive phone.

I will get another iPhone , but after the OS 4.0 stuff gets ironed out. 3GS / iPhone 4 possibly.

If you all dont believe the issues, look at this link, i had the identical problems.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/28/...-on-iphone-3g/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdk2c...layer_embedded
    i3-2100, 8GB, 90GB Vertex3, 1.5TB HDD, HD6850OC, 23"ACER LED Monitor (Gaming Rig)
    1.83ghz Macbook 1,1 (School work, Websurfer)
    4GB Mini, 2GB Nano, 30GB Video, 8GB iPhone 3GS, iPad1
    BB Bold 9900

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I was pretty fond of 3.1.2 and never did go any higher. I was happy with how everything was working. You right tho the 3G does not do well on 4 dot 0. It suddenly becomes sick

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F
    It was horrible