Using an iPhone on T-Mobile? What data plan are you using and what APN settings?... Apple iPhone forum
iPhone on T-Mobile
Using an iPhone on T-Mobile? What data plan are you using and what APN settings?
iPhone 2g using my bb data plan and wap.voicestream.com
Just changed to web2go plan ($9.99) and had to use internet2.voicestream.com to get it working. Email is fine but browser seems slow.
you know ive wondered if switching to a cheaper data plan would give the same results as the bb data plan
Thats what I use when I use the iPhone. Browser dose seem slow.
Originally Posted by GaryF
the browser would be slow if you use the internet2.voicestream.com settings-- if you use the wap.voicestream.com it should improve the speed
Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted
Device: T-Mobile S3
Device: HTC Amaze 4G
Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)
Originally Posted by SeRViiCiiO
You cant use the wap.voicestream.com when you are using the web2go plans. The phone directs you to get the smartphone plan when using wap.voicestream.com
Can't expect much on 2g speeds. It's going to be slow
Originally Posted by Texas512
Here everything about iphone and T-Mobile. My son uses an iphone with T-Mobile with no data plan. Obviously email, etc. only works when he is in wifi area. But then again it is all about texting for him. As long as he has that, his happy Anyway as follows:
As promised, here are the steps for setting up your iPhone for T-Mobile’s Internet service. The steps have been arranged to require the least amount of backtracking by you. We really appreciate that you’ve chosen to use your iPhone on T-Mobile’s network, and want to be certain you’re taking full advantage of the features available to you as a T-Mobile customer.
Please remember that it generally takes 24 to 48 hours for Internet service to begin, but it can take anywhere from 2 to 72 hours. If you have recently added T-Mobile Internet service to your account but you do not have Internet service within two days, please feel free to call us back so we can troubleshoot the issue for you.
- From the Main Menu, tap Settings.
- Verify that Wi-Fi is set to Off or Disabled -- this will ensure that no wi-fi signals are interfering with your Internet access. To take advantage of local wi-fi at a later time, feel free to go back and turn this setting On; just make sure to turn it Off again when you are done using the wi-fi network.
- Tap General Settings, then tap Network.
- Turn Data Roaming On -- this will allow your iPhone to locate T-Mobile’s data network.
- If you see a setting for 3G, turn it Off -- the iPhone cannot currently connect to T-Mobile’s 3G network, and this setting will interfere with its attempt to connect to our EDGE network for service.
- Tap Cellular Data Network (this setting may be labeled EDGE instead).
- In the APN field, enter internet2.voicestream.com -- this tells T-Mobile which version of our Internet network you want to connect to.
- Leave the Username and Password fields blank -- T-Mobile will assign this information based on your SIM card information.
- Return to the Main Menu and open Safari to browse the Internet.
Also, The Data plan associated with your Iphone comes with Free Unlimited T-Mobile HotSpots. To log in, use the following:
Username: ( Your 10-digit Cell Phone Number by default.This will be the number of the phone with the data plan.)
Password: ( The last four digits of your Social Security Number by Default.This will be the last four digits of the social security number of the primary account holder.)
This should enable you to log into WiFi hotspots and browse the internet on your Iphone!
If you are interested in adding Picture Messaging to your iPhone, you should do the following.
In order to set up your T-Mobile email account on your iPhone (or any other email account), you will first need to set up an email account (go to www.myt-mobile.com to set up a T-Mobile email account) and the follow the settings below.
- Go to www.swirlyspace.com and read their instructions to download SwirlyMMS, an iPhone application that allows you to send picture messages on T-Mobile’s data network. This will require you navigating to the Cydia application store on your iPhone and downloading the SwirlyMMS application.
- Once SwirlyMMS has been added to your phone, open the SwirlyMMS application and tap Settings.
- Enter the following information:
- Tap Save.
If you need any further help with your iPhone and its settings, please feel free to call T-Mobile Tech Support at (800) 937-8997, or by dialing 611 from your T-Mobile handset. Once connected with a T-Mobile agent, ask for Tier 3 Data Support, as we handle all data issues for your iPhone and will be best able to assist you. Also, feel free to look online at www.t-mobile.com for additional help options and information, as we are always updating our site and providing new options for our customers. You can also find help at www.apple.com/support for most technical issues, but be careful when calling Apple directly for assistance, as their automatic settings may lock your iPhone and require you to unlock it again for use on T-Mobile’s network.
- Tap Settings, then tap Mail, then tap Accounts.
- Tap Add Account, and when prompted for the account type, tap Other. Note that the iPhone will present options for common email account types; if you want to set up one of these accounts, use those settings instead.
- Tap POP if asked what type of email account you wish to set up. This is the most common type of email account, but if your settings suggest you use IMAP or another type of server, follow those instructions instead.
- In the Name, field, enter your name.
- In the Address field, enter your email address.
- In the Description field, enter a nickname for the account, such as T-Mobile or My Email.
- Scroll to Incoming Mail Server.
- In the Host Name field, enter the email server. For T-Mobile email, this is myemail.t-mobile.com
- In the User Name field, enter the email server username. For T-Mobile email, this is the User ID provided at your My T-Mobile page.
- In the Password field, enter the password on your email account.
- Scroll to Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP).
- In the Host Name field, enter the outgoing mail server name. For T-Mobile email, this is myemail.t-mobile.com
- If required, in the User Name field, enter the outgoing mail server username.
- If required, in the Password field, enter the outgoing mail server password.
- Tap Save.
T-Mobile is unable to guarantee the functionality of, and therefore assumes no liability for any problems with the functionality of, any handsets or devices ("non-T-Mobile Devices") other than those specific handset or device models that T-Mobile itself, or an authorized dealer of T-Mobile, sells for use on the T-Mobile network.
As an accommodation to our loyal customers who have elected to activate T-Mobile service on a non-T-Mobile Device, we present on this site some trouble-shooting-type guidelines that the manufacturers of these non-T-Mobile Devices and other third parties have provided in response to some commonly posed questions by users of these non-T-Mobile Devices.
While we hope that these guidelines will prove helpful and beneficial to our customers, please note that T-Mobile is unable to guarantee the effectiveness of, and therefore does not assume any liability for the lack of effectiveness of, these guidelines in answering our customers' questions or in remedying any problems that our customers may be experiencing with regard to the functionality of these non-T-Mobile Devices.
We strongly recommend that our customers contact directly the manufacturers of these non-T-Mobile Devices with any continuing questions or problems with regard to the functionality of these non-T-Mobile Devices.**
Originally Posted by GaryF
Last edited by visionthing; 08-20-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Thanks for the detailed post visionthing. Do you know what data plan (and price) these instructions go with?
I also got the same email from tech support except when I talked with them they told me that swiry would be a last resort if I couldnt get it to work with the activate mms app....... Which in turn it still comes to the same problem that I have the web2go not the Smartphone internet
I know T-Mobile have a lot of different price packages depending how long you have been with them. We have a family package and use to pay for my son to have unlimited texting and then they decide out of the blue to give all 3 lines unlimited texing for a lessor price. For my son I don't have a data package and he gets all the function when he is in a wifi area which is faster then EDGE.
Also keep in mind that T-Mobile 3g will NOT work on an iphone. So you are stuck with edge or need be in wifi area for faster speed.
They offer 2 data packages with your plan:
$24.99 for unlimited web and email
$34.99 for unlimited web ,email, texting and picture messaging.
Hope this help.
Originally Posted by GaryF
Originally Posted by visionthing
Or you can use the web2go you just cant use the wap.voicestream.com you have to use internet2.voicestream.com this is for the people that dont want to pay 24.99 or 34.99 and save themselves $15 a month
But the web2go thing is it the same as the smarthpone Internet or not?
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16
Originally Posted by evo1725
Web2go is the internet for the non all in one devices (Gravity) it still pulls up the same internet on the phone but might be a little slower in my case it runs the same speed as the smartphone plan but I cant get the mms apns to work. For me that aint a big deal I would rather pay $15 less a month and not have mms. It saves me $180 dollars a year thats the way I look at it