I was just watching the colbert report and he did a bit on iphones. He ... Apple iPhone forum

mnemerah no está en línea Stack level 2

iphone kill switch?

Advertisement

I was just watching the colbert report and he did a bit on iphones. He said apple programers included code that allowed apple to "remotely remove undesireable programming". Whoa!
    Has anyone heard anything about this?
    Last edited by mnemerah; 08-15-2008 at 05:46 AM.

Moe2005 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I haven't heard about thatn but I definitely wouldn't want that on my phone at all.

~via BB 8320 (wap.pinstack.com)~

dclawyer no está en línea Stack level 3
    Yep, Steve Jobs admitted it to a Wall Street Journal reporter last week.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

duval_happiness no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2449b097
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~thats freaking CRAZY. No way I would hate that mess.

javatyger no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    U5W15H
    That whole kill switch idea by Apple is just another reason not to get it.

Check out this article!
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10010070-37.html
    ~via BB8330 (wap.pinstack.com)~

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    That's what I call stingy monopolization right there. I knew apple was crooks.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

krikor222 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3022BBE5
    Just to play devils advocate... It is their device, hence they can do whatever they want with it. As well, Im sure its in a legal/fine print somewhere when you either buy the device or sign the contract, so the only thing I can see happen is a civil suit for ethical reasons but that's about it! lol

At the end of the day its wrong... but hey its a free country buy it if you want.. everyone has the freedom to educate themselves on their purchases.
    Shawn K.

Device: BlackBerry Curve 8330 v4.5.0.56
    Carrier: Bell Mobility (Canada)
    PIN: 3022BBE5

PIN/ID
    U5W15H
    Quote Originally Posted by krikor222 View Post
    Just to play devils advocate... It is their device, hence they can do whatever they want with it. As well, Im sure its in a legal/fine print somewhere when you either buy the device or sign the contract, so the only thing I can see happen is a civil suit for ethical reasons but that's about it! lol

At the end of the day its wrong... but hey its a free country buy it if you want.. everyone has the freedom to educate themselves on their purchases.
    Well put krikor. Glad I waited before deciding on getting one. Definitely going to be getting the Bold now! Hopefully RIM doesn't do the same thing!

PIN/ID
    3022BBE5
    Quote Originally Posted by javatyger View Post
    Well put krikor. Glad I waited before deciding on getting one. Definitely going to be getting the Bold now! Hopefully RIM doesn't do the same thing!
    I doubt RIM would even consider it on a mass scale, if anything they would probably implement some sort of solution on BES systems for IT admins allowing them that type of power for corporate owned devices.
    Shawn K.

PIN/ID
    U5W15H
    I doubt RIM would even consider it on a mass scale, if anything they would probably implement some sort of solution on BES systems for IT admins allowing them that type of power for corporate owned devices.
    LOL. I think they already do that - it's called an IT Policy! :-P

PIN/ID
    3022BBE5
    Quote Originally Posted by javatyger View Post
    LOL. I think they already do that - it's called an IT Policy! :-P
    Then its settled!
    Shawn K.

Timo529 no está en línea Stack level 2

I haven't read the fine print on buying an iPHONE but if it is not mentioned in that then I would have to disagree with you because last I checked once I buy a device that device is mine and I am free to do what I want with it that is like telling me I can buy a computer but I can't put certain programs on it just my input on the matter

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Here is the Slashdot report of the original Engadget story:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.../08/11/0317209

Apple Can Remotely Disable iPhone Apps

Posted by Soulskill on Monday August 11, @02:02AM
    from the they're-making-a-list dept.

mikesd81 writes "Engadget reports Apple has readied a blacklisting system which allows the company to remotely disable applications on your device. It seems the new 2.x firmware contains a URL which points to a page containing a list of 'unauthorized' apps — a move which suggests that the device makes occasional contact with Apple's servers to see if anything is amiss on your phone. Jonathan Zdziarski, the man who discovered this, explains, 'This suggests that the iPhone calls home once in a while to find out what applications it should turn off. At the moment, no apps have been blacklisted, but by all appearances, this has been added to disable applications that the user has already downloaded and paid for, if Apple so chooses to shut them down. I discovered this doing a forensic examination of an iPhone 3G. It appears to be tucked away in a configuration file deep inside CoreLocation.'" Update: 08/11 13:07 GMT by T : Reader gadgetopia writes with a small story at IT Wire, citing an interview in the Wall Street Journal, in which this remote kill-switch is "confirmed by Steve Jobs himself."