My niece is going away to university in the fall and she has an iphone. ... Apple iPhone forum

Kimberlee no está en línea Stack level 3

iPhone BBM like Blackberry

Advertisement

My niece is going away to university in the fall and she has an iphone. If my sister buys an iphone is there a way for them to communitcate with no charges. Just like the blackberry bbm. Does the iphone offer this kind of chat.

Thanks,

SGZrazberry no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Just ask
    Text plan or email I believe...nothing like bbm
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

brianjr1988 no está en línea Device Expert
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    could always get messenger apps and use them wlm/Y!/gtalk/aim/icq or even all in one programs eqo/nimbuzz/palringo/im+/beejive

but ya like SGZ said there is nothing like bbm for the phone as they are to diff phones

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5
    My wife has the iPhone 3G and she said that she received an email stating that there is an instant messenger coming in late September. I don't know what it will be called but its on the way. You could use google talk till then.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    As of right now the iPhone doesn't roll out with a native IM app. As mentioned by brianjr1988 she will have to purchase a 3rd party app. I reccomend beejive. It is an extremely nice app for the iPhone.

http://forums.pinstack.com/f214/beejive_push_notifications_3_0_soon_come-109146/
    Last edited by calm_tiger; 07-25-2009 at 03:06 PM.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Not yet
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Something not mentioned yet is that in order to use an iPhone you are required to have a Data Plan. Instant Messenger Apps use Data which would be included in the iPhone Plan so technically they are free. Unlike Text Messages which cost money.

I read every now and then iChat may come to the iPhone. IDK...... I don't see it happening this year. I suppose it could come with the 3.1 update in September.

One advantage to Beejive or other IM clients is that you can use them from both the phone or a desktop/laptop. So you not tied to just the phone.

FWIW I did submit a PIN to PIN App idea to a person who develops iPhone Apps. I'm not sure it can be done at this point. The concept is still being discussed at the table so even IF it can be done it's a ways off b4 a beta can be tested. I just don't know enough about the SDK to try it myself. I wish I did.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Do Iphones even have their own (pin) or device number in order to implement that?
    BlackBerry8220/4.6.0.267 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    No, I guess you would have to use some other method of identifying the devices like a DeviceID # or something unique to the phone.
    The word "PIN" seems to be well known and a personal unique number. I used the wrong word.

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5
    read this thread, http://forums.pinstack.com/f228/apple_prepping_iphone_3_1_software_update-110327/ as I posted earlier, my wife recieved emails from AT&T that stated MMS would be available by the end of summer. Late September is what the email said. It appears that with the release of 3.1, MMS will be available.