Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RogerG
  • 2 Post By Gatsbythedog

new iPhone 5 arrives today. I have my new iPad settings stored on iCloud. When ... Apple iPhone forum

Gatsbythedog no está en línea Stack level 1

IPhone 5 set up from iCloud

Advertisement

new iPhone 5 arrives today. I have my new iPad settings stored on iCloud. When I set up the new iPhone 5 do I use "new set up" or can I use "set up from iCloud"? In other words are the two devices universal in the iCloud system? I've never had an iPhone before nor a smartphone before.

I should add that I've installed IOS 6 on my iPad and have backed up on iCloud. Thus both devices will be in the same operating system.
    Last edited by Gatsbythedog; 09-21-2012 at 07:28 AM.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Your new device will already have a SIM card installed, so you're good to go there. I've never activated a new iPhone without plugging it in to iTunes. But I'm reading it can be done. I would just follow the prompts on the screen and let it guide you through the process, and skip the part where it tells you to plug into iTunes. It will most likely ask you for your Apple ID, and that should suffice getting the phone squared away with Apple. There will be instructions from your carrier on how to activate the phone on their end. After that, then I would choose to back up the device from your existing iCloud.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Thanks, Chokem.
    I understand the prompts on the set up screen. At one point I will have to choose whether to set up as new phone or choose set up from iCloud backup/restore. I don't know which to choose because I don't know if two different devices (new iPad with IO6 and iPhone 5) are universal on iCloud. I can't ask Apple tech support because I can't register the iPhone until it is set up I assume.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    I believe in another discussion you said you wanted to have two separate Apple IDs. Since you've already got your iPad set up to sync with the cloud, I would set up as a new device and create a new Apple ID for this device so all your apps, music, etc will be separate and distinct from the iPad.
    chokem likes this.

thanks Roger G,

You are correct about a previous post regarding separate accounts. Do you know if I set up as a new phone will my contacts automatically transfer to the phone? I'm trying to not have to enter names and numbers all over again and thought that if I used iCloud backup/restore from my new iPad I would save a huge hassle

That's an issue you'll have to contend with, I'm afraid, if you want a separate Apple ID for the iPhone.

Do you have a Gmail account? Best bet would be to import those contacts into Gmail contacts, then once you add the Gmail account to your new iPhone, you can sync the contacts that way.

Or you could also set up iTunes to sync the contacts with your PC/Mac if you have them on there.

Roger G

Thanks for the help. I tried to set up a new gmail account after reading many comments on this site. however I was an abject failure at transferring my contacts from my Yahoo email to gmail. After two hours of unsuccessful effort I gave up and cancelled the new gmail account. I found their system very difficult and confusing to navigate. Perhaps my trouble was because I was trying to import contacts into gmail from my new iPad.

I can't sync any devices from my old MacBook because it won't support the new iPad or iPhone so that is why I used iCloud to back up the new iPad.

I guess I'll set up the iPhone 5 that is supposed to arrive today as a "new phone." My wife's new iPhone 5 won't be coming until October so that will be another setup. I guess we will end up with three Apple ID's once this process is finally completed. This is turning out to be more complicated than I thought it would be. how does one remember all the ID names and passwords? Write them down somewhere I guess.

Thanks again!

N.b. Remember, you're dealing with a senior citizen here and memory is always a concern. if I don't write things down I get in trouble!

Have you seen this? Import your Yahoo contacts directly to the iPhone.

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?local...ent&id=SLN4922

Wow! That makes the situation very clear!!! That seems to solve my situation.

Thank You!
    RogerG and TeriO like this.