I have just moved from a BB9000 to Iphone and am still not sure if ... Apple iPhone forum

raphaelsamad no está en línea Stack level 2

Iphone 3Gs Email Problem

Advertisement

I have just moved from a BB9000 to Iphone and am still not sure if it was the right move. Anyway, I have push email working just fine on the Iphone but I cannot work out how to delete emails from both the Iphone and email server - BB asks if you wanted to delete the email on the BB and the server or just the BB. Also, I am on Vodafone and used to be able to set filters to prevent some emails being sent to me handheld device - can I do this on an Iphone?

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    The email Q is going to depend on what email service you are using. IMAP, POP3 etc. The iPhone will not prompt you like the BB does. It just does it. They work seamless together. What is on one is on the other (server)

Thank you for your help. I have a POP3 account. The problem is that I am deleting a lot of emails on my Iphone during the day but I then end up downloading old read messages at the end of a day on the road which is a bit frustrating. I cannot find anywhere where I can set up the Iphone to delete emails directly from my POP3 account.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    I use different email addresses on my iPhone and Gmail is the only one that shows that they have been read on my computer. It doesn't delete them, but it works the best on iPhones.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I use Yahoo also and when I delete an email on the phone it's also gone on Yahoo. It works in reverse also. I use Google the same way and a few others.

From Google:
    What's the difference between IMAP and POP?
    Unlike POP, IMAP offers two-way communication between your web Gmail and your email client(s). This means when you log in to Gmail using a web browser, actions you perform on email clients and mobile devices (ex: putting mail in a 'work' folder) will instantly and automatically appear in Gmail (ex: it will already have a 'work' label on that email the next time you sign in).

IMAP also provides a better method to access your mail from multiple devices. If you check your email at work, on your mobile phone, and again at home, IMAP ensures that new mail is accessible from any device at any given time.

Finally, IMAP offers a more stable experience overall. Whereas POP is prone to losing messages or downloading the same messages multiple times, IMAP avoids this through two-way syncing capabilities between your mail clients and your web Gmail.

If you're trying to decide between using POP and using IMAP with Gmail, we recommend IMAP

I shall see if I am able to change to imap rather than Pop3.this does indeed seem like it might offer the best answer. Thank you for your suggestions and info.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

Sorted! I have set up the email account as Imap and it works together with my computer brilliantly. When only Iphone is on, the Iphone gets emails. If I delete on Iphone, then email are really deleted and will not apear on my computer. Also when emails are on Iphone and computer downloads the same emails, the emails disappear from Iphone- simply excellent.

Philli01 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Gmail, yahoo, n aol is what I use and they delete from the server as soon as I delete them from my iPhone. Try some third party apps. MBox is what I use for my live mail account cause the iPhone won't delete those from the server n they just download over n over