An official confirmation per BGR, without comment from me: http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...rms-iphone-3g/... Apple iPhone forum

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7

iPhone 3G Confirmed At Wal Mart

Advertisement

An official confirmation per BGR, without comment from me:
    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...rms-iphone-3g/

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    No surprise to me, it was only a matter of time. The rumor was too persistent for too long.

Apple is far too interesting in grabbing market share to _not_ do something like this.

rjs87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    wow, 2 dollars off. not worth it at all.....
    **There are 2 types of people in this world: those who use the search bar and those who do not**

Quote Originally Posted by rjs87 View Post
    wow, 2 dollars off. not worth it at all.....
    That's not the point.

Let's set aside our opinions of the iPhone and simply look at the opportunity for Apple and Wal-Mart. After all, there are a lot of people that want an iPhone simply because it's from Apple and it's "cool". People that have no clue about smart phones.

The reality is, they are going to reach a lot of people that would never walk into an AT&T store. These are people that are comfortable at Wal-Mart, trust Wal-Mart and in many cases will be impulse buyers. Not only that, there is a percentage of Wal-Mart shoppers that are uninformed and will perceive it to be a "good deal" just because it's in Wal-Mart. This is why Apple is starting out at this price. Originally they were thinking of offering the phone for just $99.00. At that price point Apple would still make money but not as much as they will at $197.00. If price becomes an issue, they can always reduce it later, and then it will be perceived as a big discount.

Apple and Wal-Mart are both brilliant when it's comes to marketing and this is going to be good for both of them. What will be very interesting to watch is just how many they sell and what impact it has on the smartphone sector.

fondoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24A26BE1
    i saw the iphone at walmart tonight.
    Upgraded the BlackBerry Curve to BlackBerry Bold 12/1/08.

hyphen no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30BCDAA6
    Stupid ? But is this with a contract? ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

rjs87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I don't want to sterotype but most people who shop at wal mart atleast where I'm from have trouble being able to afford the daily necessities and that's why there shopping at walmart, now how on earth. Are they going to be able to afford 30$ a month for a data plan?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by hyphen View Post
    Stupid ? But is this with a contract? ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    No such thing as a stupid question. Yes, the iPhone is sold with a contract.

Cheers
    ~via Bold~

I don't want to sterotype but most people who shop at wal mart atleast where I'm from have trouble being able to afford the daily necessities and that's why there shopping at walmart, now how on earth. Are they going to be able to afford 30$ a month for a data plan?

I know what you mean & I don't disagree. However that generalization does not hold true everywhere. The reach of walmart is far & wide. There will be plenty of people than will buy the phone who shouldn't just like people who spend money on gambling & other things they cannot afford. Apple is very smart when it comes to marketing. They've studied this & know it will work or they would not be doing it.

~via Bold~

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe

Smile

LOL!!! I shop at walmart thats why I am able to afford the extras . But I do understand your point and you did say MOST people.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    That's not the point.

Let's set aside our opinions of the iPhone and simply look at the opportunity for Apple and Wal-Mart. After all, there are a lot of people that want an iPhone simply because it's from Apple and it's "cool". People that have no clue about smart phones.

The reality is, they are going to reach a lot of people that would never walk into an AT&T store. These are people that are comfortable at Wal-Mart, trust Wal-Mart and in many cases will be impulse buyers. Not only that, there is a percentage of Wal-Mart shoppers that are uninformed and will perceive it to be a "good deal" just because it's in Wal-Mart. This is why Apple is starting out at this price. Originally they were thinking of offering the phone for just $99.00. At that price point Apple would still make money but not as much as they will at $197.00. If price becomes an issue, they can always reduce it later, and then it will be perceived as a big discount.

Apple and Wal-Mart are both brilliant when it's comes to marketing and this is going to be good for both of them. What will be very interesting to watch is just how many they sell and what impact it has on the smartphone sector.
    Missed this earlier but I must agree I can already see the little roll back smiley guy bouncing around the iPhone if they don't sell at $197.00. They were going to originally sell it for $99.00 and if sells do not meet expectations the first roll back will be $10 or $20 dollars and if that doesn't work they will still have around $75 bucks to play around with. I don't see it going below the $10 or $20 because as archer stated most Wal-mart shoppers are not smart phone saavy and will think this is the best deal ever.