Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Eighteen months ago, the only smartphone of significance in my opinion was a BlackBerry. Not ... Apple iPhone forum

mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3

iPhone3Gs Reliability & Perfomance

Advertisement

Eighteen months ago, the only smartphone of significance in my opinion was a BlackBerry.

Not once did I think that I would be composing a post like this one. However that said, I must recognize Apple for the fantastic job they have done in refining and upgrading what was a rather disappointing first effort.

I've had my iPhone3Gs since it was first released months ago, and the reliability has been just stellar. Every concern I had about this phone going into this experience, has been extinguished by it's terrific performance.

Has it been perfect? No. Has it been excellent? Yes, beyond a shadow of a doubt. The performance of this phone is simply amazing. The app store is splendid. The attention to detail beyond reproach.

The key to enjoying and benefiting from an iPhone, is to remember it's not supposed to work like a BlackBerry. It's a different device for a different target market. One that has embraced this phone like no other.

So while I'm not suggesting this is "the" best smartphone, or the one for everyone. What I am saying is that this is one very nice smartphone, that Apple has chosen to refine until we are now enjoying the best iPhone yet.

If Apple keeps up this strategy and continues to build on what they have, they are going to challenge many of the other smartphones out there that so far have only been a combination of disappointment and vaporware.

evo1725 no está en línea Stack level 4
    what about the new thing that google is saying, about the droid, its not a smart phone, its a robot phone.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Robot phones go outta style just like those robot pets
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

Google has never made that statement. As far as robot phones, that's just a myth. Believe me if you had one you would have a completely different opinion. Is it the perfect phone for everyone... no.... what is?

I'm having a great time with mine. And just think... RIM has years of experience, Apple has a few, and the Droid is brand spanking new. A pretty impressive new device. Give them time and the market dynamic will be changed in ways that people have yet to imagine.

arodweb no está en línea Stack level 2
    I love my iPhone 3gs.

Don't get me wrong, I used BB's for a long time and they're great.

Once I got my iPhone jailbroken, I see that there's so much you can do with it , that wasn't the case of the blackberry.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

evo1725 no está en línea Stack level 4
    But what about if it's true? What if really is an robot fone. That will be the end if the smart pones
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I can relate to mobile99's OP. I purchased the 3G (day1) and used it for about 2 months after coming from the 7100, 8100, 8800 series prior to that. The 3G was still using 2.x if i remember correct. There was no Push, no copy & paste, no landscape keyboard etc.

I saw how advanced the iPhone was and how it was years ahead. It still lacked a few minor things that I felt should be standard in a smart phone so i ended up switching to the Bold. The Bold for the first time was a Blackberry phone that could keep up with my personal needs. It's a work horse and worked great but the OS and method of navigation was still a dead end. You can tweak the crap out of it but that even gets old after awhile and I was still looking for more. I was looking for something stronger and faster in the world of the web. (24/7 constant connection) I wanted a pizza ordering, stock checking, movie watching, TV watching, Music machine that I could even do light personal Banking on without having to think about "How to" with. Most importantly I wanted a device I did not have to plug a cord into in order to sync any of my information from work or home. If i make an addition on my phone I wanted it already on my computer at home or work. If i delete something from my phone I want it deleted also at home and work without any cord or a sync.

So while I was still very happy with the Bold I was still on the hunt for something that went over the top and offered it all. We can read email from everything and everywhere these days and same holds true for making phone calls. It's about doing more than that now. Heck truth be known email is considered old tech now and not even a preferred method of communication anymore. Between shared calendars, BBM, IM, Twitter, FB, Wave (out in beta and pretty neat i may add) and other great social networking Apps that are GPS related. After all who just wants "status quo" when spending all that money each month?

Then it happened.......Apple released 3.0 and included all the features it should have had from day one. By then the App Store was also blazing full steam ahead and the big boyZ were releasing some true full featured Apps and at bottom dollar prices. Heck who doesn't have an iPhone App? That is the question and that should tell a person something about the phone.

I would look at the Blackberry App and see $10 or $20+ price tag and then look at the Apple App and see $.99 or $4.99 price tag and on top of the price tag I would look at the screen and it was soon a no brainer. The one thing we all do each and every time we use our devices is "Look at the screen".

Between the screen size and the method of navigation Apple has hit a sweet spot which delivers an easy to use UI and combined with the spec bumps in the GS we now have a phone that is fast and offers a seamless experience with the web.

Since Apple finally threw in the kitchen sink with the 3GS running 3.0 I decided to give it another try and set my Bold down.

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F
    Quote Originally Posted by arodweb View Post
    I love my iPhone 3gs.

Don't get me wrong, I used BB's for a long time and they're great.

Once I got my iPhone jailbroken, I see that there's so much you can do with it , that wasn't the case of the blackberry.
    I was the same way, i did pick up a 9530 Storm for a backup, unlocked it for AT&T but temporarily let the wife use it. But after playing with a few droid phones, id like to go try them out...still never get rid of the iPhone.

Out of the entire year and half ive only had the phone lockup 1 time, more then i can say about my Blackberry's.

Worst case, yes i would go back to a BB, but it would be such a drastic change from the iPhone.
    i3-2100, 8GB, 90GB Vertex3, 1.5TB HDD, HD6850OC, 23"ACER LED Monitor (Gaming Rig)
    1.83ghz Macbook 1,1 (School work, Websurfer)
    4GB Mini, 2GB Nano, 30GB Video, 8GB iPhone 3GS, iPad1
    BB Bold 9900

ItsaRaid no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    217B8701
    Gotta Say,

Everyone has hit the "Nail on the head" with regards to the 3G/S I-Phone. The thing is I still wish the I-Phone was able to do mail like the Blackberry.

Dependability? it runs circles around any Blackberry Ive had to date, however Im hearing some really good things about the new 9700. Rim got rid of their Number 1 Headache, the trackball and hocked it for a track-pad which from what I hears works tremendously well-

I miss the I can tell from anywhere in the room if I have new email by the led on the BB, which the I-Phone does not have, The Instant and Pin Messaging, which the i-Phone does not have and the infinately changable things you can do with ring tones and sounds on the Blackberry that is truthfully seriouslly limited on the I-Phone in comparison.

The Big Challenge? Unlocking a New 3G/S and getting Manufacturer Support like the Blackberry Enjoys. It would really be nice if Apple would allow us to have a Supported Unlocked I-Phone, instead of a "Appple Dictatorship I-Phone"

Also the Battery Time on the new I-Phone sucks big time, Im strapped to a charger all the time, and yes I have the wifi and bluetooth off. Better, but still not the best it could be.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRaid View Post
    Gotta Say,

Everyone has hit the "Nail on the head" with regards to the 3G/S I-Phone. The thing is I still wish the I-Phone was able to do mail like the Blackberry.

Dependability? it runs circles around any Blackberry Ive had to date, however Im hearing some really good things about the new 9700. Rim got rid of their Number 1 Headache, the trackball and hocked it for a track-pad which from what I hears works tremendously well-

I miss the I can tell from anywhere in the room if I have new email by the led on the BB, which the I-Phone does not have, The Instant and Pin Messaging, which the i-Phone does not have and the infinately changable things you can do with ring tones and sounds on the Blackberry that is truthfully seriouslly limited on the I-Phone in comparison.

The Big Challenge? Unlocking a New 3G/S and getting Manufacturer Support like the Blackberry Enjoys. It would really be nice if Apple would allow us to have a Supported Unlocked I-Phone, instead of a "Appple Dictatorship I-Phone"

Also the Battery Time on the new I-Phone sucks big time, Im strapped to a charger all the time, and yes I have the wifi and bluetooth off. Better, but still not the best it could be.

Not to mention you can't send files via bluetooth like us with bb's can. Something so simple most smartphones can do nowadays as srl put it. It does enormously well on all aspects but when it comes to the most quintessential aspects of any smartphone it falls face first. Having said this everyone has their own preferences when it comes to the must haves vs the what the device only came with.
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

arodweb no está en línea Stack level 2
    YES you can:

PIN MESSAGE with a program called ping.

Copy and paste.

Emails can be pushed with multiple apps.
    Last edited by arodweb; 11-25-2009 at 11:11 AM.

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    I agree also. My jailbroken 3G(S) has been nothing short of rock solid which really surprised me in the beginning. It's simply a well built device.

Quote Originally Posted by arodweb View Post
    YES you can:

PIN MESSAGE with a program called ping.

Copy and paste.

Emails can be pushed with multiple apps.
    +1

I use this and it works like a charm. What a great improvement!

Quote Originally Posted by calm_tiger View Post
    I agree also. My jailbroken 3G(S) has been nothing short of rock solid which really surprised me in the beginning. It's simply a well built device.
    +1

Well Said!

As someone who _still_ likes BlackBerry's but who is simply a bit jaded, and disapointed at the direction they are headed, I reluctantly migrated to an iPhone (as well as keeping my BB active).

Little did I know I would find the iPhone3Gs to be such a great smartphone. It's now my favorite by a wide margin.

And yet in this business, there are so many changes and such short product cycles, it's why I have chosen you use three of them. I am listing them in my order of preference, it will be fun to come back and see if this has changed in the next year.

First Place: iPhone3Gs

Second Place: Droid

Third Place: 9700

With these three I am fully covered.

And yet I cannot wait for one company to get it right and be able to use just one. Some how I think it will still be some time before that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRaid View Post
    This is why I have shifted my rating of BB from number one, to number three of the three smartphones I own.

It's my opinion that RIM robbed the original BOLD 9000 owners, by taking away the large display and keyboard.

And not updating that device as they promised. If the BOLD would have been updated with the trackpad and other refinements I would have one in my hand now, as my primary device, just as I have used the 9000 for during the last year.

But to put it into a housing the same size as the Curve 8900, give them the improvements, and slap the BOLD name on it a ruse.

The BB owners that buy into anything RIM builds are happy, as they don't seem to care.

But for those of us who bought into the "Great Features" that RIM advertised and used to sell the BOLD just a year ago, (larger display, and keyboard) we have been ignored to use a polite word.

No worries though. In that same time frame Apple has finally got the iPhone3Gs right and I for one am enjoying it as my primary device more than ever.

Even my new Droid is far better than my 9700, which I bought as a secondary placeholder if you will.

The times are changing, and I am here to embrace that change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast