iPhone + iPad + MobileMe = A FRUITFUL SOLUTION As a fervent BB User I ... Apple iPhone forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

iPad + iPhone + MobileMe = Fruitful Partnership

Advertisement

iPhone + iPad + MobileMe = A FRUITFUL SOLUTION

As a fervent BB User I couldn't imagine myself, a month ago, trying to write this thread. I had experiences with the iPhone before but never to the extent I'm having now. Not because I recently got the iPhone 4, but because I decided about a month ago to try (and then bought) the iPad (WiFi and 3G).

(SRL was a great motivator and helped clear up some doubts, of course. Thanks Bud !)

I soon learned the potential of all this, considering the well (I think) thought of strategies and objectives that I had laid out from the start. These were:
    1 - Get rid of the burden of carrying the PC with me, all the time.
    2 - Stay in contact 24/24 with my office and with my business.
    3 - Not carrying cables, except a charger for all the gadgets in the car, or when I fly to other countries in Europe. Avoid carrying a briefcase, or any papers, most of the time.
    4 - The ability to sync all data, in real time, without the need to physically use cables and different sync programs.
    5 - To avoid the travel to the office (or home) especially to update all work files and folders and calendars, notes, tasks etc. this way increasing productivity.
    6 - Easy setup, no hassles and guaranteed functionality.
    7 - Still manage to squeeze some leisure time in a usually long 12 to 14 hour work day.

I soon realised this was all achievable with the iPad. I just needed to get the right programs, such as Docs To Go and MobileMe. Soon afterwards I also got Pages, Numbers and Keynote. Great thing about Apple is that all these applications are really affordable and worth the investment.

Lot's of other applications are free. Another very important fact is that if you buy for the iPad you automatically get it for the iPhone without any extra cost. So everything just blends in...

With MobileMe comes the remote sync of calendar (or calendars) contacts (all groups) notes, bookmarks etc. And then you get Gallery, Find my iPhone (or iPad), and the great iDisk. Here is the primary source of my contentment. After having the initial trouble of sending all my goodies to this cloud (including movies) I manage to travel very light, up to date, in control and yes, somehow, I do find extra time for R&R.

Everything is remotely synced, refreshed. No need for cables. No need for different programs. No headaches. Simple and efficient. I change a contact or setup a calendar to-do, add a contact, alter a meeting, or whatever, and the iPhone, the iPad, my Outlook at the office or the one at home all change in unison. Change a document, add a new one, delete, whatever you do, and all the changes are reflected immediately in all the other machines. That is SYNC !! And, look Mom, no cables...

And my staff at the office are going nuts ! They better get wise, quickly ! They complain that I keep bombarding them with new stuff all the time, new work, new contracts. And I admit, I'm enjoying this....

All my objectives have been met. And then some....

The iPad is easy to carry. Goes anywhere. Has a great screen, is user friendly etc. Looks good and always attracts attention. Especially when colleagues and business associates find me working and resolving issues right there, or at the coffee shop by the beach (great summer I'm having).

To compliment my vanity, the new iPhone 4 is a real charmer. And it works with all what I have described, faultlessly.

I still keep my trusted BB 9700. I carry at as a safeguard, although it can't perform against the combination of a iPhone 4 and the iPad. But it's becoming a burden. A dead weight. Unfortunately !

I just hope that after I've written all of this on the iPad (using Pages), I can post this thread.

If you're reading it, it's because, somehow, I managed....

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I've mentioned before having a device that is seamless and only needs to touch a wire to be charged is "Priceless"

No need to sync b/c the moment you make an addition or change it's also done on all your other equipment (Desktop, Laptop, Home or Work).
    Charging or to Backup are really the only two times you need a cable.

Wireless backup will be available soon (2011). I think when the iPad gets iOS4 and the new iPod Touch is out we will see the option to backup wirelessly.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^ ... I'm looking forward to the wireless backup. Also heard that the update of the iPad to 4 is going to be awesome, especially with multitasking capabilities.
    Regarding the carrying of wires, really just need the standard charger - 1 for both. The battery of the iPad usually lasts me 4 days and I rarely need to recharge it when I travel for a few days at a time. The iPhone needs more attention.
    I also heard MobileMe (iDisk) is going to be able to upload "folders" instead of just "files". Hope this is true...

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I have not read or heard anything on the folders but it only makes sense. You can create them from the computer or actually I guess I'm going to try to create one from my iPad and see if I can.

I expect Apple to offer MobileMe for free sometime but with limited options. That will be a nice added benefit for the millions who do not want to pay the yearly fee. IDK? For sure but it also makes sense. Give people a free chance to see how it works even tho u can do that now as long as you remember to cancel b4 the trial period is up.

When the new server farm is open and running look for some changes. I'm getting several days out of my iPad battery also. I'm finding my uses are slowly changing with it tho? It's my go to reader and with the recent change to magazines subscriptions I only see it being used more.

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    if your jailbroken you can wirelessly sync on any device running 3.0 or later I believe.

WifiSync is what its called, definitely need to look into it if you want a fully wireless experience
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    they give anyone a free 60 day trial to test it and see if they want to continue the service
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Thanks neorabid. Gonna give it a go with the wife's 3Gs - it's jb...