I ran across this tonight and found it to be interesting and somewhat troubling reading. ... Apple iPhone forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Interesting blog post from an iPhone app developer

Advertisement

I ran across this tonight and found it to be interesting and somewhat troubling reading. It is a blog post of the conversation between an Apple rep and a developer of VoiceCentral, one of the apps recently pulled from the App Store. Treatment like this puts serious developers in a difficult position.

"As has been widely reported at this point, we are very sorry to announce that Apple removed our VoiceCentral app from the App Store. This happened suddenly, swiftly and with virtually no advance notice from Apple.
    Repeated emails yesterday to Apple have still been ignored at this point. We did receive a voicemail at our main office from the same Richard who called our competitor. Unfortunately it wasn’t until today that we were able to connect for our “conversation”. The word conversation really doesn’t cover it because what transpired was not informative by design and felt like theater of the absurd. It went roughly like this"

See the full post here.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    quote from the post....

"I can only say that yours duplicates features of the iPhone and was causing confusion in the user community. "

are you serious?? can someone tell richard to go back in to the apple app store and review all the apps!
    they have to be consistent with their approvals/denials
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

What about all the third party browsers? They duplicate the native browsers features.....that is such a shallow argument. I don't understand that argument anyway....either way they are iPhone apps and you need an iPhone in order to use them so they will still sell devices, and make some money off the app sale....do they really get effected by some sort of ad revenue loss by people using another app? I guess I just don't understand how it could hurt Apple to allow those apps.
    Twitter? My Apps List

gorcorps no está en línea Stack level 3
    I'm going to play devil's advocate here just for the sake of it...

While I can't stand Apple's terms and conditions for their apps, I don't think the 'inconsistency in rule enforcement' is a valid argument. I mean it totally sucks that other apps are still around that are also breaking the rules, but that doesn't make it okay for YOU to break the rules. Just because there are thieves out there that haven't been caught doesn't mean I should feel alright about stealing something myself. "Well they haven't been caught yet, so why do I have to get punished?" Come on... it's juvenile and annoying. Their rules on their apps are too strict, but you can't get bent out of shape when they enforce them.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Rules may be strict but their popping them out like hot cakes. Say what you will, apple has it right now. When your on top everybody is gunning for you. They took th cell phone world by storm and haven't looked back. How many devices have come out trying to topple apples since its launch. Say what you will, what ever the real reason is behind this, I'm sure it beneficial for apple.
    BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.130 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I cut-em slack too, I think the App Store is great for the most part but I do see where many things need to be improved.
    Heck how old is it again? 1 year and a month now. You try to implement a system like that will all that data/users/vendors etc.
    There are some messed up things but I'm willing to give them time to be recognized and solutions found and changes made.

There are so many people who try to cheat the system as it is. I think erroring on the side of caution is ok.
    Another example of something messed up would be this. You can have a terrible App that gets 1 star ratings and be the top App listed in the App Store. How does that make sense? You would think if your Apps sucks and has 5 thousand reviews all rating 1 star you would be at the bottom not the top. Ratings are not on quality but rather on quanitity downloaded.
    I won't even mention the politics that go on with people purposely writing reviews spamming for another App/developer.

I Store is getting full of cr*p/Apps and I wish they would boot out the junk and re-organize everything. Then again what I consider cr*p Apps another person may just love and think is great. So there is where you have another issue.
    I really wish they would remove all games and so something else with them. Then do the same with Fart Apps or Apps with the same value (zero).

Overall taking into consideration everything I think Apple is doing a good job. It will only improve over time.

I agree that ratings should be based on quality vs quantity, but I also have learned to take reviews with a grain of salt. I believe that many of the glowing reviews are faked and could see people playing dirty and deliberately writing bad reviews on competitors apps. That's where lists of favorite apps on forums and detailed reviews on forums and tech blogs come in handy.

Apple does have some work ahead though and I still don't get why we can have over 500 fart apps and when something actually useful comes out it gets kicked to the curb because it does things the iPhone can already do. People bought the phone and pay for the iPhone service so why can't they pay for an app that suits them better than something in the native functions even if it does the same thing? It's their money. If the iPhone does it already, and does it better, then nobody will buy the app....
    Twitter? My Apps List

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    +1 to that
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.