I-Phone 3G/32S Useage on Commercial Aircraft Can anyone answer this, I recently flew Delta/NWA from ... Apple iPhone forum

ItsaRaid no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    217B8701

I-Phone 3g/32S on Commercial Aircraft

Advertisement

I-Phone 3G/32S Useage on Commercial Aircraft

Can anyone answer this, I recently flew Delta/NWA from Minneapolis to Columbus, I had the new I-Phone 3G/S, I turned the Aircraft Mode On, (kills the Cellphone portion), it immediatley recognised and placed the wifi icon in the upper left of the display,(After I turned WiFi back on) the connection window ("Popped open") had "uhthutwi7" in the wifi window, it I clicked okay, it appeared as though it connected, however I couldnt send email and it wouldnt allow me to connect to the internet, I asked the Stewardess if the flight had free internet connect and she said yes. I tried Safari as well, when I "sent the email" I immediately got an error window stating the connection to the server failed. I am a AT&T Customer. When I started to get off the aircraft the Pilot said, did you have any sucess, I said no, he said , and showed me a BB9700. He said the BB9700 has no problem, they get asked all the time by I-Phone users. He said its a Apple Thing. You can surf but you cant email?

Is this true? How do you use the I-Phone on a Aircraft. (Internet, email, Safari)

The I-Phone is a Great Apple Phone, Games, Beautiful Display, if your a gamer, or your trying to keep up with the Jonsies, this is the phone for you. I do Insurance Consulting, My clients have to have easy and quick access to me, the Blackberry Email, Instant and Pin Messaging is unbeatable, either that or they spoiled me for Life. The Touch Keyboard sucks, I dont like it, I didnt like it then, and I dont like it now- but im getting by with the help of Pogo.com, and our Moderators from PinStack.

You cant change everything on the I-Phone like you can on the BB, and I get server errors all the time telling me that something is using my email acount therfore the Desktop gets locked out of my email, until I turn off the I-Phone, something that never occured with the BB. Lastly, I was threatened by Apple if I unlock the phone I will violate the terms of warranty. I can simply get a new 9700, call Rim or AT&T up and ask for Unlock, and they will give it to me rightaway, without a threat.

After spending so much Money, Apple can take their threats and stick it up their CPU. I am a Customer, not a Inmate at a Prison.
    Lastly, Ive had some issues with MMS and sending or receiving JPEG Photos, After FINALLY getting a Higher Tiered Support Person from Apple, they admitted to an issue that is known, He said I have to set Outlook to "Plain Text" in order to do anything whatsoever with Photos otherwise they get converted to a dat or ini file, something like that which stops the file dead in its tracks. I didnt have to do that with my Blackberry-

It just doesnt make good sense, If I travel to Israel, I can Buy a UNLOCKED Apple I-Phone, it will work everywhere, however is I bring it back to the USA, I violate the terms of warranty. If I buy a Apple I-Phone 3G/32S here in America of which I own already, and I unlock it, the manager of a AT&T REtail Store said my Warranty is immediately Violated, and, and, can you believe this, They can confiscate the phone from me under the "no reverse engineering clause"..!
    Per Apple... " If you change the software on the Phone Operating System, you have Reverse Engineered the Phone" to do something we didnt want it to do for you, at that point we are within our authority to confiscate the phone from you"
    Last edited by ItsaRaid; 12-20-2009 at 04:26 PM.

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    It sounds to me like a no brainer back to bb. If apple wants to lock there phone down they will eventually lock them selves out of customers.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    You have been mis-led starting with the Pilot and ending with the AT&T Retail Store person.
    Unlocking does void warranty however restoring takes all of about 2 minutes and no one is the wiser. MMS is a lost cause always has been and always will be with AT&T and the iPhone. Sometimes it works and sometimes is won't. That is entirely an AT&T thing.

AT&T restricts the iPhone more than we will ever know.

PIN/ID
    217B8701

Aircraft Usage

Okay-

Can you comment on using the phone on a commercail flight with WiFi

PIN/ID
    Retired
    WiFi is totally dependent on how it's setup. It would be interesting to see (for example) who is paying for it? I've noticed many places that offer Free WiFi have it set up where u have to tap/click thru hoops in order to get it to work. Even then it's almost worthless and choked out.

It's hard to say for sure on that airline. I have not used it so I can't really say much other than WiFi and setting up WiFi has so many flavors it's hard to tell. If your phone works on other WiFi networks without any issues yet not on that plane it's not the Phone nor Apple (that's a funny one). It's the person or people setting up the WiFi.

PIN/ID
    217B8701

Wifi

Hey Steve, Like always thank you....

I have a Lynksys Router at Home, when I turn wifi on (I-Phone) a window pops immediatly showing "Larrys Linksys" i click okay and voila, Im in- Email, and Safari

On the Flight, I did the same thing, I shut the phone down, turned wifi on, i got a window with letters and numbers in it, i clicked okay, the wifi symbol immediately posted full signal in the upper left of the I-Phone display... but it wouldnt do anything at all except warn me that the Connection to the server had failed.

You know, its kind of funny, I remember what drove me to buying my first BB. I was on a flight to Israel from NY- I had a older couple next to me, their daughter had just had a baby, was in a hospital in Jerusalem, we were Taxing for takeoff, and he was jumping up and down in his seat like a fish in a hot frying pan, because he was communicating with his son-in-law who was giving a blow by blow email of the dellivery. He was on a T-Mobile BB- They had a baby girl just shortly after take-off- and I swore I was going to get a blackberry when I got back home. They were texting each other

I visited the Apple store yesterday, the Manager said, forget Text Messaging, it only works on the network, no email, you can only "Surf" the web, if the aircraft offers free internet on that flight.

I find that very hard to digest after the "Big Deal" Apple has always made about communication and internet on the I-Phone-

Waiting to hear from you or anyone else that knows how to make this work
    Last edited by ItsaRaid; 12-20-2009 at 12:33 PM.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I thought jailbreaking was the only thing that voided the warranty, not unlocking

hyphen no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30BCDAA6
    i say jb the bish.... i have tmo and my emails wrk n flights but i had to do two things
    1) after i added the wifi network u have to open safari nd enter the code or tap something so it adds u to there network

2) i turned on my keep awake option " u can find it on cydia" bAsically it keeps u connected to there wifi

I don't know if it cuz its on tmo that this works or if its just the fact its unlocked or if it just happened to be the wifi on the plane

i wud jb ur phone run the steps i said nd if it wrks cool if not restore ur phone to the att state

if ur still unhappy i will trade ur iphone for my bb plus some money lol
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16
    Last edited by hyphen; 12-20-2009 at 11:41 AM.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    It looks like you disabled the wifi by putting it in airplane mode. Go here to see what the airplane mode is used for.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1644

I have not had any of the problems that you are speaking of. It sounds like you are more comfortable with a BB.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    I thought jailbreaking was the only thing that voided the warranty, not unlocking
    Your right i mis-typed i associate the two hand in hand to often.

PIN/ID
    217B8701

Response

PDX

I turned the IPhone Back On, It Failed to connect, there was no wifi icon, I then went into the general settings, I turn on Airplane Mode, and made sure the Wifi was on-
    It posted a Wifi Icon in the Upper Left Screen, when I went to Safari or tried accessing internet email, it stated the Connection Failed,

By the way, when the wifi was turn on, it popped a window- with numbers in it, i clicked okay and it posted the Wifi Icon full in the Upper Left

Could not do anything further