Things You Need: 1) iTunes 2) Audacity 3) lame_enc.dll Note: Place the lame_enc.dll somewhere on ... Apple iPhone forum

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6

HOW TO: Make Ringtones Using Audacity

Advertisement

Things You Need:
    1) iTunes
    2) Audacity
    3) lame_enc.dll

Note: Place the lame_enc.dll somewhere on your computer (desktop, my documents etc.). Remember where you stored/put it, you might have to locate this file later before exporting from Audacity.

STEP 1: Install both iTunes (if you haven’t already) and Audacity.

STEP 2: Find the song you want to use, search through it to find the perfect part you want to use as a ringtone.

NOTE: The song must be in MP3 format in order for Audacity to edit it. Here’s a free converter if you need it.

STEP 3: Open the Song in Audacity.

STEP 4: To cut out what you do not want, simply highlight the section and click ‘Delete’

Example:
    let’s say you want from 0:15 to 0:45 (30 sec.).
    1) Highlight from 0:15 – 0:00 and ‘Delete’ it.
    2) Highlight from 0:30 – End, and ‘Delete’ it.

Now you have the part you want!!

Hint: You can add effects if you’d like, you can fade the song in and out, add an echo, phaser, reverse, wahwah etc.
    To do so, just highlight the section (or entire clip) and go to ‘Effect’, from there you can choose what you’d like to add to the clip. I usually like my ringtones to fade in and out, so I usually highlight the first 5 sec. and Fade It In, then highlight the
    last 5 sec. and Fade It Out.

STEP 5: Export the file to MP3 (File>Export as MP3), choose the output location.
    NOTE: If Audacity asks you to locate lame_enc.dll, do so and continue.

STEP 6: Locate your newly converted MP3 and open it with iTunes.

STEP 7: Right click the clip and select ‘Create AAC Version’. (Let iTunes do it’s thing)

STEP 8: Delete/Remove the Ringtone iTunes just created, BUT, be sure to click ‘Keep File’ when prompted.

STEP 9: Locate the Ringtone in your iTunes Music folder.
    Example: (ex. C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music).

STEP 10: Rename the file to the proper file extension, which is from .mp4 to .mpr (MPR).
    Note: Your PC/Computer will warn you that renaming the file extension may render the file as unusable, this is ok, click ‘Yes’

STEP 11: Double click the Ringtone (mpr) to open it in iTunes, sync your iPhone and, THAT’S IT

Of course you can do all of this using iTunes ONLY, but you have to edit the time frame of the song using iTunes, and it's very easy to ruin the song. And this way, you can make a duplicate of the song and chop it up in Audacity, you can combine two songs, make your own or whatever. The other benifits are adding effects to your ringtone, like fading it in and out and adding an echo. You'll quickly discover how much is possible with Audacity, it's very easy and fun...above all, it's FREE!!!

Enjoy

(I've attached a How-To PDF file, it has pictures, this is for those who work better using these type of instructions)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by beeshabo; 08-06-2009 at 08:27 PM.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Great Tudor, Audacity is pretty sweet. This post is a keeper/Bookmark.
    See if they will let you put it into the How To's section.

We can never have enough ring tones.

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6
    Kool Thanks!!
    I figured there was a tut on how to make ringtones, but because I LOVE Audacity (LOL) I thought I'd post this up,
    I also tried to be very specific and I even added pics to to make it even better.