Hey Guys,Now this may not work for my fellow Americans (AKA Prisoners of AT&T) I'm ... Apple iPhone forum

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A

How to defeat "Roaming" if your provider charges you extra for it

Advertisement

Hey Guys,Now this may not work for my fellow Americans (AKA Prisoners of AT&T) I'm on 3 in Australia and whenever there's insufficient coverage it will Roam on Telstra's network, and charge me out the backside for any data I use. Simple answer is of course, don't use data outside the coverage zone- Reality is that 3's coverage is, um... how to put this nicely...... Really Crappy at best. There are so many dead zones for the this particular network it's not funny, and the "Roaming" is an automatic feature. So it's a great way to raise extra revenue.Enter my plan: in the Network settings I've changed it from "Automatic" to "3" so that instead of Roaming, I just lose my network connection everytime I'm in a tunnel, in an underground parking lot, or on the wrong couch in my living room. This is why I'll be leaving 3 for Vodafone, Virgin, or I'm even considering going back to Optus of all things! But let me know if you find this works, I have to let it go for the next billing cycle to know for 100% certain, but fingers crossed!Also anyone who's network doesn't "Roam" to another network I don't think this little trick will work, and for those of you who don't have this problem..... not. one. word. LOL!Also has anyone heard any other rumors about AT&T losing their grip on the iPhone? It just doesn't make any sense to me for them to have been such a huge Monopoly in the '80s to being one again now (even if it is only for the iPhone). Every other country in the world (even the UK) have the iPhone on at least two carriers.
    I have two very rare photographs. One is a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car........

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    If you set your device to one specific carrier, then it will not roam on another. You're telling it that it's this carrier or nothing. Also, no concrete details on the agreement between AT&T and Apple yet, but with them recently releasing the iPad with support specifically for AT&T, I'm thinking their deal may get extended.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Spewin about the monopoly

And your absolutely right on setting the device to one carrier, LOL! I get more Network Lost pop ups than anything now. But so far so good I haven't racked up any extra fees for roaming.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16
    Last edited by ted; 02-08-2010 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Typo

onlyme123 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks for this useful info.