Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By iNurse

This is my first post, having just discovered this site and this forum. Ijust ordered ... Apple iPhone forum

Gatsbythedog no está en línea Stack level 1

Help for a Smartphone newbie please

Advertisement

This is my first post, having just discovered this site and this forum. Ijust ordered two iPhone 5's
    on pre-order and have never had a smartphone before. my carrier is Verison and my current
    plan is Nationwide Loyalty Share 550 with two old LG flip phones.

I Have WiFi in the house. We are elderly and don't text much - perhaps one text a month. My questions
    relate to whether I should change my usage plan because of the new iPhones? I assume my WiFi
    will allow me to surf without worry about using up data. Is that accurate? I need advice about the
    service plan I have currently. should I keep it for a couple of months and see how my usage goes
    or should I get one of Verizon's share plans?

Any advice would be appreciated. We're entering the smartphone age late on life and really don't know
    what we are doing.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Hi Gatsby, and welcome to PinStack. I'm pretty sure Verizon has a minimum data plan, like AT&T's, which if I'm not mistaken is 200MB per month for each phone. As I stated, I'm not sure what Verizon's minimum requirements are. If you have wifi at home, and plan on surfing the web there, you can get by with a minimal data plan, as you are correct about wifi not eating up your allotted data. It has been my experience, especially with a new smartphone, that you will use more outside data (non wifi) than you think at first, but that will taper off as the novelty wears off. I would start with the minimum and see how it goes for a month, then you can always go up to one or two GBs if needed. And if you do go over its only $10/per GB. Good luck and let us know if we can help.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

TeriO no está en línea Stack level 3
    Hi Gats! Welcome to not only Pinstack, but also to a world that is bigger than you ever suspected. I tend to agree with Chokem- Just stick with the minimum requirement that Verizon has and go from there. You may find that once you are able to literally look up the answer to any question you have, at any time, it can become a bit addicting. It's fun though and I know that I always love it when my more seasoned friends (I am not fond of the word "senior" ) are tech savvy! Good for you guys! Enjoy the phones!

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Hi Gats, welcome! And you're never too old to get into smartphones. They tend to be very helpful, and since both of you are used to cruising the web on wifi, it'll be a cinch. You'll probably use the iPhones more than the PC.
    Congrats on the new acquisitions. Don't hesitate to ask us anything. We're all here to help.

Thank you all for your advice and support. This will be a lurning curve I'm sure.

my MacBook is so old I won't be able to synch the phones with the laptop. A new laptop is next on my list of "wants.". However I have a new iPad that has iCloud enabled so Can I use iCloud to get my contacts from the iPad to the iPhone 5?

I have an account with iTunes and Apple Store because of the iPad. my wife and I share the use of the iPad. Now that we are getting two new iPhone 5's should I set up a separate account with iTunes/Apple Store for my wife? She won't want all the apps that ai will transfer to my phone so I assume she is going to need a separate account.

I'm sure more questions will pop up once I get the phones and start using them. I just want to anticipate questions regarding the set up of the phones so that I don't make mistakes in the set up process.

thanks again!

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I can't help much with the Apple stuff but I just want to say welcome to Pinstack.

PIN/ID
    nada
    When you enable iCloud on your new phone, your apps will show up on it. Not sure about contacts, I always use Google sync, GMail to sync contacts. I would create another account for your wife, especially since you're using iCloud. If not, all of both of your downloads will show up on each others phones, which is kind of annoying. Let us know if we can help.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    You can have one account and more than one separate contacts or calendar list. On the iPhones they will appear as separate contact or calendar groups. This way you'll both share the information as well as all the apps when you sync.
    I must say Chokem's suggestion is better if you want to maintain everything separate, so for this exercise you'll have to open a new iVloud account. Your PC ( or MAC) will identify the iPhones separately.
    Another factor benefitting individual accounts (and there are more) is for security reasons. Each one to his own.
    Its complex, because if you both share the same information and one iPhone is lost or stolen, or damaged, all the information will be available on the other one. These solutions both work well.
    Ultimately it will be your choice.
    Last edited by Delfim; 09-15-2012 at 10:42 AM.

TeriO no está en línea Stack level 3
    Personally, while keeping things in one account is possible, I think it's simpler to have separate accounts. In the end, it just cuts down on potential confusion between what is on which device if the two of you have different requirements for them. If you want to keep both phones identical, a single account would be very easy. If you want them to be different though, it could get confusing if you are trying to do that from the same account. But, as others have said, it's a personal preference either way.

I agree that having two accounts is best. Thanks to all for the help. I'll probably be back when the phones arrive and I try to set them up.

iNurse no está en línea Stack Professional
    Welcme to Pinstack!! and to the iPhone world!
    RogerG likes this.
    :) iNurse :)

greenyoga no está en línea Stack level 1
    Welcome,i am a new here...

PIN/ID
    nada
    Quote Originally Posted by greenyoga View Post
    Welcome,i am a new here...
    Welcome to PinStack!
    ​Galaxy S4 Red