So, I recently decided to add the Gmail app to my iPhone 4s. I have ... Apple iPhone forum

TeriO no está en línea Stack level 3

Gmail and iPhone Alerts

Advertisement

So, I recently decided to add the Gmail app to my iPhone 4s. I have found that as my email usage increases, I really wanted the ability to label and move things into the correct folder if I am away from my regular computer and the ability to do that from the regular iPhone email was just too cumbersome for me. I love the app that Gmail has and am overall very happy with it. However, my biggest complaint is that it does not have an Alert that shows on my lock screen when a new email comes in. I get the audio alert and if I unlock my phone there is a visual on the Gmail app to show how many new emails have come in, but the badge does not come up on the lock screen. I have reviewed all the settings that I think would apply and they all show that the badge feature is "on" and I am thinking that means a badge should come up in the lock screen. However, I notice that the regular email app also has "Alerts" and I am wondering if the lack of the "Alert" feature on Gmail is the problem. It's VERY possible that this is a "user error" issue and that I have just not worked it out properly. Any suggestions?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Have you gone into Settings>Notifications>Gmail (or whatever it's called for the Gmail app) to make sure notification center is turned on? Also, check the alert style and make sure the "Show Preview" and "View in Lockscreen" settings are enabled.

Yep- Those are all enabled which is why I am so baffled over this. It "appears" that it "should" be working correctly and I am just wondering if there is some hidden trick that I am missing or something. LOL

Battery pull?

Maybe respring it and see what happens.

"Respring"??? Not sure what that means. Can you elaborate?

Hard reset. Press and hold the Home button at the same time as the Power button until the Apple logo appears.

Ah... Ya, I have already done that. I think I am going to see if taking the app off and then putting it back on helps. Thanks for your suggestions though.

Sure. Sorry I wasn't much help.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Seems to me a while back this occurred on some 3rd party Apps that had not updated the App along with the iOS builds? I think many reported it as a bug but I'm not sure it's a bug or simply the App needing updated correctly to deal with the way notifications are received

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I suggest you use the Gmail Exchange on your iPhone. That way you'll get all the notifications, plus...
    What I mean is, instead of setting up a Gmail account like your iPhone asks, ignore it and open a Exchange account, and then you'll also have access to all your Gmail folders, to archive, to shift between them, to open and see past mail etc. It's also a Push Mail service.
    Go into create a mail account, choose Exchange, enter all your normal data and where it asks for the server, change whatever appears to m.google.com. That's it. You can also select to sync your contacts and calendar.
    Try it. It's a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    Seems to me a while back this occurred on some 3rd party Apps that had not updated the App along with the iOS builds? I think many reported it as a bug but I'm not sure it's a bug or simply the App needing updated correctly to deal with the way notifications are received
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    I suggest you use the Gmail Exchange on your iPhone. That way you'll get all the notifications, plus...
    What I mean is, instead of setting up a Gmail account like your iPhone asks, ignore it and open a Exchange account, and then you'll also have access to all your Gmail folders, to archive, to shift between them, to open and see past mail etc. It's also a Push Mail service.
    Go into create a mail account, choose Exchange, enter all your normal data and where it asks for the server, change whatever appears to m.google.com. That's it. You can also select to sync your contacts and calendar.
    Try it. It's a winner.
    Good info, thanks guys.

pat3ckska08 no está en línea Stack level 1
    iPhone 5 offers tons of features, but some of the features comes at the cost of battery life, so it is prudent to turn off things that you're not using.

Thanks, but please remove the links from your signature and your post.