Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Originally Posted by bigtrell thanx for the info. im keeping my berry, but im using ... Apple iPhone forum

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by bigtrell View Post
    thanx for the info. im keeping my berry, but im using it for biznez purposes (imo is the best reason to have a bb) and i wanna use the g1 for fun. but i just dont wanna pay for two separate data plans, which means ill have to get a new sim for my bb, with a new number. i have to figure this out. i ordered my g1 yesterday.
    now im wondering if i should cancel it.
    It will still cost you a little bit more but if you are using the BB just for data you can always put it on it's own plan. T-Mobile does offer standalone BB data plans. That will give you the opportunity to use and play with a G1 and still keep your BB up and running.

Zo

Mr_Carter no está en línea Stack level 5
    I think that as time goes by, more and more people will have a data plan on their phones. No matter if you are a BB user, iphone, nokia, g1, whatever... A data plan will be more of a need. Don't you guys think so? ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Carter View Post
    I think that as time goes by, more and more people will have a data plan on their phones. No matter if you are a BB user, iphone, nokia, g1, whatever... A data plan will be more of a need. Don't you guys think so? ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Absolutely, data plans are the current and future money makers for the carriers. Dumb phones are being tossed aside as the industry continues to push smart phones, entertainment and all in one devices.

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    I'll post this here too, I don't think it will pass a blackberry. I recived mine 3 days ago, and i do like it, But there are some current draw backs. you MUST use the keyboard to type unless you are using the phone or the calculater. It has no explorer for files. and even worse the the issues with file protection, if you open pictures on the phone there are thumbnails for all to see, so heaven help any one with "Fun freind" pictures on it LOL. The down load and install from the Adroid market place is fairly easy and nice, but kind of limited at this time. I am worried about pricing after launch. And I Miss BB Messanger big time. So I actually carry my Curve and have relicagated the G1 to my Data Line the browsing is very nice. I can't wait to see what 3G is like but on EDGE it is slightly faster then the 8800 it replaced and gives the Curve a good run for the money. Being able to drag across a large page and zoom in and out with touch is nice.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

Quote Originally Posted by pda.teck View Post
    I don't think it will pass a blackberry.
    I know it certainly didn't outperform any of my BlackBerrys, but that's just my personal preference. Frankly I'm surprised (or not) that they are selling like they are given the fact that while there are certain things they do well, yet they have so many shortcomings. Especially if one is using it as their only mobile communications device. And that person uses email, sms, and voice, the iPhone 3G that I had was very disappointing. No cut & paste? With a superior web experience like that and you cannot even manipulate anything.... what were they thinking.... or where they?

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    No phone is perfect! BBs included! far from it actually. Time will tell who will be the best! I put my money on android. why is everyone so focused on the little things it doesn't have now when you know ITS COMING!BTW support for MS exchange is now on the market place!! Features out of the box, and at that price point, I think is unmatched! The 8100 cost more.. and the G1 is wiping the floor with the pearl! If it has bugs, and i'm sure it does, thats fine so does my curve! MANY BUGS!!
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    I'm going to switch my BlackBerry number over to the G1 and then get a new business line with Verizon for the Storm. Then again the Storm might make the G1 look like a toy in comparison.

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by J@ricanese View Post
    I'm going to switch my BlackBerry number over to the G1 and then get a new business line with Verizon for the Storm. Then again the Storm might make the G1 look like a toy in comparison.

I hope it does, for your sake, because you're going to pay about 300 bucks extra for that Storm! But I doubt it or any phone out here is going to beat out the G1 by much, and in the months ahead i dont think the others will be able to keep up with the constantly evolving G1..
    Last edited by rdills; 10-19-2008 at 11:57 AM.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Ok update on my earlier posting.

Recieved confirmation of some of the questions I had.

Top two and what I probably consider the most important concerning us BB users using curves or pearl II's right now:

Will the unit work on an account with a BIS on the plan?
    The phone needs to have a working G1 SOC on a TMO SIM when you turn the phone on for the first time. Please connect with TMO to learn if/how a customer can remove the G1 SOC from their account. It is our understanding that a customer cannot have both the G1 SOC and BB SOC on their account at the same time.

Is UMA projected for the future?
    UMA is not planned for the G1.

Zo

Quote Originally Posted by rdills View Post
    I doubt it or any phone out here is going to beat out the G1 by much, and in the months ahead i dont think the others will be able to keep up with the constantly evolving G1..
    I'm not expecting much from the very first version of a device that has no history, no track record, and is fraught with bugs. Don't get me wrong, I've already purchased one, but not because it's a great phone. It's not. In addition they were asleep at the switch and cannot claim they are the first Linux powered phone. They have a very long way to go.

Here's my take.

Cheers!

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    OMG archer! I think you may have spoken too soon! I want to here what you think in a few days. maybe i've lost it or something! I think its great, but I value your expertise on this subject so check in after you play with it for awhile. Youre gonna be suprised my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by rdills View Post
    OMG archer! I think you may have spoken too soon! I want to here what you think in a few days. maybe i've lost it or something! I think its great, but I value your expertise on this subject so check in after you play with it for awhile. Youre gonna be surprised my friend!
    I've already used a G1, for an hour.
    Mine will be arriving shortly. I will not reveal my source, but I can tell you I'm not bashing or being critical of the phone at all. I go to great lengths to only post what I know. I do not speculate, I do not lie, I do not mislead and I do not guess. I like all phones I am not a narrow minded one brand only person. I am not married to any make or brand.

Do I prefer Blackberry's? YES! Why? Because for MY usage they are the best. I do not place my values on others. Nor do I ever proclaim a certain phone, even a BlackBerry "The BEST" as there is NO SUCH THING!

The best phone, is the phone you the user, likes best. It's why I have over 40 phones at the present moment that are no older than 8 months. I buy phones from all over the world because I can and I'm a mobile phone enthusiast and tech lover. At any given moment I'm also testing many laptops from all manufacturers. It's because I embrace change, I like to experience all the different products and I do so. I speak only the facts from personal experience. And if I comment on something I've read I always include a source link. Make no mistake. I know what I'm talking about. I do not claim to be the expert on all these products, I only comment on what I have personally purchased and tested, and it's only my experience and personal opinion. Everyone is entitled to their preferences and opinion. I have a Dual Masters Degree from MIT in Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, so the point is I am formally educated and do not guess. I enjoy this forum an interacting with others here, it's a fun place where we can all enjoy sharing our experiences..

Cheers!

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Ok arch, seems like you took offense to my last comment, it wasn't meant to be offensive but ok. Now. 1st, an hour is hardly enough time with this wonderful device. And you are bashing it in your blog("os is held together by duct tape")which is totally untrue and only shows you need more time with it to make that deduction. To me, Android seems better than any OS Ive used with Blackberry. Its new, but its YEARS ahead of what I have experienced with BB. example- TMO just released 4.5 after a year of waiting unless you went with some buggy beta version, android was updated this morning!!! OTA!!!!!!!Thats not to say its as stable or as proven, but Im doing things now that I could never do before. and to think this is just the beginning! ("dated hardware design") Its designed the way it is for a purpose...to be highly functional. and its exactly that! I could care less if it looks like the iphone, its easier to navigate with the G1. ("terrible battery life") well if people took the time to adjust the settings they would see better quality out of it! If I turned the screen brightness to max, on 3g,then surf net, downloads,type emails, sms, use wifi, phone calls, etc. what would you expect? that and alot of probs you're hearing are just user error, and just plain old bashing IMO. I get a day now easily, and thats enough for me! I wont go into my educational background, as it has nothing to do with this debate, instead im speaking from hands on experience. ("narrow minded people") How could I be narrow minded and support OPEN source? Like I said before, I respect your expertise on the subject of phones! Ive been in the stacks for a while, and have seen your posts. Trust me, im aware of your knowledge on electronics. But either you dropped the ball on this 1, or its a personal thing against the G1.

OK Archer, don't hurt me. friendly debate here!
    Last edited by rdills; 10-24-2008 at 01:38 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234