Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I have pre-ordered the G1 and am truly excited to see its potential. I will ... Apple iPhone forum

micjenks no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Advertisement

I have pre-ordered the G1 and am truly excited to see its potential. I will probably never get rid of my BB completely due to its rock solid reliability even though my pearl is considerably slower and a bit laggy at times with the 4.5 OS(don't get me wrong I would never go back to 4.2). My question is this is a G1 more enticing to a bis user than a bes user? I use my BB for work and personal but the work part is at my own expense, I have to be honest I chose to order the G1 over the curve and I did it without much hesitation because the curve doesn't offer me a whole lot that my pearl can't do other than a better viewing experience. I am a bit scared to see what the non gmail mail experience will be though!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Quote Originally Posted by johnio View Post
    Still......tempting, thanks.

Has anyone considered the unlimited BB data plan $50 vs. The G1 $35?

Assuming the listed price above for the G1 data is accurate.

On T-Mobile the BB data plan is only $19.99. You must be on VZW or at&t.

The above pricing is accurate. Just went through a webinar on the unit.

One nice feature about it that is both good and bad and puts it ahead of the iPhone (and possibly BB devices for those not on a BES) is it operates similar to a Sidekick when it comes to the network side of things. All the contact info (and probably more than that) is automatically backed up on Google's servers and restored when needed (as in replacement device) which means you won't lose your information if you lose/damage/destory the device as long as you go back into a G1.

For those currently on a BES: G1 DOES NOT work with Microsoft Exchange in it's launch configuration. T-Mobile and Google are not reporting plans to make that available in the future either but they did mention that because Android is open source, it is possible with an external program that someone could develop in the future.

Out of the box G1 does not do Video Recording but it was emphatically stated that it was not a hardware limitation. Android does not have video record software preinstalled but a developer can create an application that would make video recording a possibility.

Reported MSRP's for Corporate stores (independents may be different):
    $179.99 - 2 Year Contract
    $179.99 - 2 Year Renewal
    $399.99 Full Retail purchase (no contract)

The data plan is REQUIRED for activation. The activation software will not allow the activation to proceed without addition of one of the two data options (400 TXT or Unl).

Still waiting for confirmation of this but they stated that IM's will count as text. I don't know if using the built in IM programs (supports Live, Yahoo, AOL, and GTalk out of the box) are setup to use messages for all communication. I am also waiting for confirmation that the unit will not operate without the data plan if purchased at full retail.

Zo
    Last edited by Amigotek; 10-16-2008 at 01:44 PM.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by johnio View Post
    Still......tempting, thanks.

Has anyone considered the unlimited BB data plan $50 vs. The G1 $35?

I use both AT&T and T-Mo unlimited BIS plans:

AT&T $ 29.95

T-Mobile $39.95

No carrier that I'm aware of charges $50
    Last edited by archer6; 10-16-2008 at 10:06 PM.

bigtrell no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ASK ME!!
    Someone Had A Good Question. Can You Use 1 Data Plan For Two Phones? Im 80% Sold On The G1, But I Am not giving Up My Berry, Shiiiiit Its My Lifeline!!! Best Phone Ever!, But I Want The G1. So Will I Have To Pay 35 (g1 Plan)and 20 (bb Plan)?
    Guess Its Time To Call 611
    STAY PHOKUZED!!!!
    WWW.WEMIX.COM/4711
    CHECK OUT PHOKUZ (FOCUS)
    WEMIX.COM'S TOP ARTIST!

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtrell View Post
    Someone Had A Good Question. Can You Use 1 Data Plan For Two Phones? Im 80% Sold On The G1, But I Am not giving Up My Berry, Shiiiiit Its My Lifeline!!! Best Phone Ever!, But I Want The G1. So Will I Have To Pay 35 (g1 Plan)and 20 (bb Plan)?
    Guess Its Time To Call 611
    As far as I know you could do it with a windows mobile phone and the G1 but the BIS plan is unique as far as I know. I believe this is what's commonly known as performance punishment I ordered my G1 and I will keep both initially until I see how it handles email then I may shut off the BIS but my trusty berry will be ready to jump in at any time. Plus tmobile has always been great at switching plans on the fly

Quote Originally Posted by micjenks View Post
    As far as I know you could do it with a windows mobile phone and the G1 but the BIS plan is unique as far as I know.
    For clarification any other GSM smartphone like the G1 will work with your BlackBerry BIS plan. That way you can use your BlackBerry or put the sim chip in your G1 and use it. You cannot do the opposite which is to get a regular data plan for the G1 & still be able to use your BlackBerry. That's what is unique about the RIM platform. So letting go of you BIS account is not wise. An example is, every BlackBerry user on BIS from T-Mobile was paying just $19.95 per month. For Unlimited BIS. Just recently T-Mobile raised that rate to $39.95 so anyone that wants to go back will pay twice the price.
    So my suggestion is to keep your BIS plan until you are absolutely sure you are not going to use a BlackBerry.

As far as the G1 early reports reveal their email system is very buggy, and has many incompatibilities. This is to be expected as one must remember that its a brand new product that so far has not been tested in the hands of the general public. In my opinion the G1 will not be a phone that you want as your only phone unless you don't care about performance & reliability. Users like us coming from the RIM platform will be extremely disappointed if you expect the G1 to be any where near the functionality of the BlackBerry. Finally there are no performance or any other types of penalties -yet- all the carriers are looking at it but for now nothing is being done.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    For clarification any other GSM smartphone like the G1 will work with your BlackBerry BIS plan. That way you can use your BlackBerry or put the sim chip in your G1 and use it. You cannot do the opposite which is to get a regular data plan for the G1 & still be able to use your BlackBerry. That's what is unique about the RIM platform. So letting go of you BIS account is not wise. An example is, every BlackBerry user on BIS from T-Mobile was paying just $19.95 per month. For Unlimited BIS. Just recently T-Mobile raised that rate to $39.95 so anyone that wants to go back will pay twice the price.
    So my suggestion is to keep your BIS plan until you are absolutely sure you are not going to use a BlackBerry.
    Good to know THANKS!!! I will most definitely keep my BIS plan then no matter what I would be piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeddddddddd if I ended up paying double, besides I have a suspission that at first I will probably use the G1 for a wifi device more than a phone until they work out some bugs.

Good to know THANKS!!! I will most definitely keep my BIS plan then no matter what I would be.
    Your welcome. When my G1 arrives I will use it just for fun, as I believe that Google will do a good job of integrating many Google services & apps into the OS. This will be fun to play with but as far as relying on a phone my BlackBerry will always be my main phone. Anyone that buys a G1 with the limitations & shortcomings in mind will be able to enjoy the phone & not be shocked when problems occur. For those that are interested in the G1 but expect it to be stable & reliable would be wise to wait at least 6 months or more while Google sorts it out.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Yeah, I agree. I think it will be a fun ride to be on, but my BB will most definitely be my seatbelt!

Yeah, I agree. I think it will be a fun ride to be on, but my BB will most definitely be my seatbelt!
    Well said, with a realistic positive attitude like that, you are bound to really enjoy your G1.
    Personally I see it as history in the making. I like to have the full experience even if it is buggy, since I won't be left high & dry. My trusty BlackBerry gives me the freedom to have a G1 for fun.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

Thanks for the info archer!! ILL be keeping my BB plan as well.

I'm trying to stay realistic, but after having it in my hands, I can't help but dive in head first! A lot of the problems I see in the reviews are more network related than anything. I saw reports that emails were coming in at 20 to 40 second delays on edge! Not bad at all and will be faster on 3g. And it may not have the same functionality as a BB, but it does offer some very useful tools! Here's 1 for example, that barcode scanner will save me a few dollars this holiday season! And some apps will work together to create even more functionality! So to just dismiss it as a toy is a mistake IMO.
    Last edited by rdills; 10-17-2008 at 11:35 AM.

PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Normally I would agree with you Archer, but I think this unit is going to operate more like a Sidekick device than a Windows Mobile in that Google actually has servers they are dedicating for use with the device. It also requires that you have a gmail account to begin using it (use of the email account itself is not required). It asks you to log into your gmail or create a new account when you first start the setup. It will also automatically backup your contacts onto their server (like a sidekick) on a periodic basis (not sure if that means every time you update a contact or at specific intervals throughout the day). The lock on the unit is also tied to your gmail account, if you forget your lock pattern the you will have to use your gmail account to log into the unit. I have actually asked them whether it would work on a BB plan but am waiting for a response.

Zo

Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek View Post
    Normally I would agree with you Archer, but I think this unit is going to operate more like a Sidekick device than a Windows Mobile in that Google actually has servers they are dedicating for use with the device. It also requires that you have a gmail account to begin using it (use of the email account itself is not required). It asks you to log into your gmail or create a new account when you first start the setup. It will also automatically backup your contacts onto their server (like a sidekick) on a periodic basis (not sure if that means every time you update a contact or at specific intervals throughout the day). The lock on the unit is also tied to your gmail account, if you forget your lock pattern the you will have to use your gmail account to log into the unit. I have actually asked them whether it would work on a BB plan but am waiting for a response.

Zo
    Thanks for correcting me Zo! You are so right.

See when one is as sick of a BlackBerry addict as I am, there are times when I become confused about just which phone and network combination I'm talking about. Then it gets worse, I get distracted, I go into this mode where I suddenly realize, Wow it's been two whole days since I bought a new phone, something must be wrong with me? and sadly it's downhill from there...

All kidding aside, your post is 100% correct, we are lucky to have members like you that are still sane......

Cheers
    archer

PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    How dare you insult me like that.

I am not SANE!. :P And I have papers to prove it too.

Now where did I put those papers........hmmmmm......Oh there they are. In my Big Yellow Hat. Why are they there? They are supposed to be in the Small Red One. hmmm....Oh wait, those aren't the right papers.....{walks away mumbling to himself looking for his papers}....

Zo

bigtrell no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ASK ME!!
    As far as I know you could do it with a windows mobile phone and the G1 but the BIS plan is unique as far as I know. I believe this is what's commonly known as performance punishment I ordered my G1 and I will keep both initially until I see how it handles email then I may shut off the BIS but my trusty berry will be ready to jump in at any time. Plus tmobile has always been great at switching plans on the fly

thanx for the info. im keeping my berry, but im using it for biznez purposes (imo is the best reason to have a bb) and i wanna use the g1 for fun. but i just dont wanna pay for two separate data plans, which means ill have to get a new sim for my bb, with a new number. i have to figure this out. i ordered my g1 yesterday.
    now im wondering if i should cancel it.
    STAY PHOKUZED!!!!
    WWW.WEMIX.COM/4711
    CHECK OUT PHOKUZ (FOCUS)
    WEMIX.COM'S TOP ARTIST!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast