Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I retired my iPhone3G for the newer model of the iPhone the iPhone3Gs . (32GB ... Apple iPhone forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

First impressions of iPhone3Gs

Advertisement

I retired my iPhone3G for the newer model of the iPhone the iPhone3Gs. (32GB Black)
    While i've only been using it for one day here is what I have experienced when it comes to the differences from the older 3G.

The phone turns on in 1/2 the time of the 3G

It's clearly smoother opening and closing Apps and swiping pages.

Spot Light search is nice, no question about that.

Maps are far more useful with the compass as they automatically turn so they are oriented correctly according to how you are standing.

I love the ease and response of the click or Tap-to-focus on the camera

Voice commands option is great, however I'm not sure how often I will use it.
    I can see myself using it more with Music than with dialing a number.

The free Memory went from 10-20MB's average to 150-170 most of the time when I checked. Often on the 3G I noticed I was at 3MB.

The screen does NOT show finger prints like in the past. Nice improvement.

My Battery was 3/4 out of the box this morning and it is still at 1/4 now or just under that. (12 hours)
    my 3G was not that good. I will have a better opinion as the week progresses, it's just to soon to tell how much better the battery is.

Rendering web pages is much faster and noticeable. I also like that is begins with a blank page unless you were already on a web site. In the past is opened to the guide.

The video camera is incredible it FAR exceeds my expectations. I will be using the video a lot. I never thought I would be saying that. The edit feature is simple to use.

Find my iPhone is sweet. Every Smart phone should have this.

iTunes and the App Store open much faster. You can really notice it.

Nike+iPod will be a big hit for those who need that. Personally I don't so I can't comment on that feature.

I can't comment on Instant Messages yet either. I use Beejive and their 3.0 App has not been released yet. srl7741 for AIM, Yahoo, GT, MSN, iChat (hit me up sometime if you want)

The added YouTube features are nice. I only spent a few minutes messing with it. Just enough to know it works and there was no issues. This is going to be very popular.

One last note: I noticed when typing there is no lag no matter how fast I type. On my 3G I could type faster than it could keep up. The Landscape keyboard is nice but I don't see myself using it. I'm stretched out toooooooo much. For those with larger hands it will be a Godsend.

Conclusion:
    If your happy with your current iPhone just update the OS and you should be very happy with the new features minus the video, voice, compass.

If your into speed and more storage, there is no question you will love the new iPhone and should make the purchase.

Last edited by srl7741; 06-19-2009 at 11:51 PM.

khmertsunami no está en línea Stack level 2
    Jw how are you planning on using up the 32gb memory? I'm still in the middle on wheter I should get the 16 or 32. I have a couple movies but I guess bigger is better
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    Nice review and very sensible conclusion

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I should have also mentioned the new 3Gs is not only for any power users but it’s
    also capable of handling a new cellular network feature that, in the next few years, will offer double the current data speeds.

This should also be a consideration.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Nice review, srl! Thanks for posting - I know a lot of users have been curious to hear how this one turned out, and it's cheaper too!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Very cool, glad you're loving your new iPhone 3GS! I like the idea of the compass for map orientation...
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow iPhone 3GS is Stunning w/ OS 3.0!!

The review below that started this thread is right on the money and very accurate by my account as well. This new version of the iPhone is considerably faster with webpages loading so quickly. All I can add to the review is that the new OS 3.0 has many amazing, well executed features too not the least of which is cut/copy/paste. For a long time BB users would write-off the iPhone because of this one missing feature...and in many regards they were right. Now the implementation of cut/copy/paste exceeds any phone I have ever used...including Blackberry. It is so elegant and smooth and allows you to move any text or imbedded pictures very quickly and keep everything formatted as it was...brilliant!! Along with landscape mode in all applications, spotlight search emails on and off the iPhone, voice memos (very cool), MMS, iTunes full video/movie downloading, stereo bluetooth streaming, push notification, tethering, Find My iPhone (genius), and so much more. This new OS with the new iPhone makes the combo unbeatable....very happy customer!!

taynepope no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by wclyffe View Post
    The review below that started this thread is right on the money and very accurate by my account as well. This new version of the iPhone is considerably faster with webpages loading so quickly. All I can add to the review is that the new OS 3.0 has many amazing, well executed features too not the least of which is cut/copy/paste. For a long time BB users would write-off the iPhone because of this one missing feature...and in many regards they were right. Now the implementation of cut/copy/paste exceeds any phone I have ever used...including Blackberry. It is so elegant and smooth and allows you to move any text or imbedded pictures very quickly and keep everything formatted as it was...brilliant!! Along with landscape mode in all applications, spotlight search emails on and off the iPhone, voice memos (very cool), MMS, iTunes full video/movie downloading, stereo bluetooth streaming, push notification, tethering, Find My iPhone (genius), and so much more. This new OS with the new iPhone makes the combo unbeatable....very happy customer!!
    If you keep this up, Wcylffe, I just may be convinced!!!!!!!

However, I fel like i'm cheating on RIM if I go to the Appleside, but if it gives me the capablility to record lectures from school, then, I will be all over that.

Can you or iphone owners speak to this?

abad no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30D26FDC
    taynepope, there is a feature with the new software that allows you to record voice. I have to add that the feature is pretty sweet. after you you save the file it allows you to rename and edit the file right from your phone. I'm not sure if there is a cap on the time limit you can record but i believe as long as you have the storage available you should be good to go. the eye candy is nice, apple knows how to make the device look appealing....

BoSoxFan82 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by taynepope View Post
    If you keep this up, Wcylffe, I just may be convinced!!!!!!!

However, I fel like i'm cheating on RIM if I go to the Appleside, but if it gives me the capablility to record lectures from school, then, I will be all over that.

Can you or iphone owners speak to this?
    I agree. IPhone sounds sweet but the only way I would get one is by buying it out right. I own the bold and won't let it go. I would miss the BB messenger, and everything that blackberry offers. Love iTunes though.

thanks Abad. Apple does know how to tempt (no pun intended)

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow

That's funny, but I was not trying to lure anyone over to Apple, or the iPhone. I was a long time BB user for many, many years, but got fed up with RIM's lack of attention to the MAC user specifically with regard to synchronization. The iPhone answers all those issues of course and they have only been in the business for two years. We all get use to what we use and hail the virtues of that particular device, but I have to say I'm not going back to Blackberry unless there is a reason at this point. From the beginning, I can sync my calendar, contacts, bookmarks, music, movies, podcasts, photos, etc. and I love having that all with me. I actually use it all constantly.

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow Voice recording for Lectures

Yes, you can record entire lectures, edit them in the phone if you want, and then email them off to whoever you want for later use.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by wclyffe View Post
    That's funny, but I was not trying to lure anyone over to Apple, or the iPhone. I was a long time BB user for many, many years, but got fed up with RIM's lack of attention to the MAC user specifically with regard to synchronization. The iPhone answers all those issues of course and they have only been in the business for two years. We all get use to what we use and hail the virtues of that particular device, but I have to say I'm not going back to Blackberry unless there is a reason at this point. From the beginning, I can sync my calendar, contacts, bookmarks, music, movies, podcasts, photos, etc. and I love having that all with me. I actually use it all constantly.
    I could not have said it any better. I have said many times over how much I loved the Bold but it was a mess when trying to keep everything synced. Between work computers and home computers and the phone all I did was run around chasing my tail.

The iPhone on the other hand? Make one entry on one device and they all have it within a few seconds. It does not get any easier than that. RIM is too worried about release yet another new model device that does nothing more than the prior model. I really wish they would work on the OS and stop releasing so many of the same phones that have only one or two differences like WiFi or no WiFi but a better camera. It's hard to even keep up with what each of their different model phones do. I can't imagine what its like for the average consumer who does not keep up with cell phone news.

Thanks Wyclff, that is great information. I'm mildly excited about getting the new 3gS but i will probably get more excited as we get closer to Aug, which is when we are going to purchase

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast