AT&T 3G Microcell, a femtocell, coming sooner than we think? Filed in AT&T , Exclusives ... Apple iPhone forum

ItsaRaid no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    217B8701

FEMTOCELL?

Advertisement

AT&T 3G Microcell, a femtocell, coming sooner than we think?

Filed in AT&T, Exclusives, Services
    Trials supposedly were underway months ago, but it looks like the launch could be literally around the corner. One of our faithful AT&T ninjas sent us in a screenshot that shows an AT&T 3G Microcell femtocell option in addition to AT&T’s broadband and TV service, U-Verse. We don’t have a date on this yet — [...]

*** Can anyone explain this a little bit better as to what impact or benefit it will have for us using the new 3G/S Apple IPhone?***

Following AT&T’s recent and repeated claim that it is on schedule with a 3G femtocell solution to be released before the year is out, Sprint’s VP of device and technology development Mathew Oommen has officially thrown down the gauntlet:
    Just like Sprint was the first with 2G, we’ll definitely be the first in the 3G space as well. We’re not talking about trials; we’re talking about full commercial service.
    Pow… Take that, AT&T. For those unfamiliar with the technology, a femtocell is basically a small base station that provides a bridge between cellular and wired broadband connections. Long story short: It’s your own personal cell tower. Sprint’s Airave was indeed the first 2G femtocell to hit the scene and according to Oommen, Sprint’s 3G offering will follow suit. What’s more, Sprint is apparently prepping both a consumer solution and an enterprise solution. EV-DO Rev. A femtocells at home and at the office? Mmmm.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    It will allow places that 3G is not present to have 3G service. Plug it in and you will get a 3G signal where before you would only get 2G or EDGE

pcwizpcwiz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32ae40a5
    ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! If you can hook up this femtocell you can connect your Iphone via WiFi why would you want to slow it down and use 3G instead?

However if there is no voice signal in your house or office this will be useful but the 3G will be meaningless on any phone that is Wifi Capable.

ItsaRaid no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    217B8701

FemtoCell

I have a Desktop PC, High End which is connected directly to the internet (hardwired) on top of the PC, I have a Linksys N Router Wireless, its the Rinky Tink High Speed N Gamer Version with the (2) receivers-transmitters built into it, its supposed to be the "fastest thing available" for WiFi- When my kids connect to the internet they use the wireless to gain access to my network-

So your saying it would be better for me while I'm at home to connect via my Wifi rather than the 3G AT&T network-? Will the new I-Phone allow for that?

Is that for both Voice and Data?