My address book is a mess. I have doubles, triples and even more of some ... Apple iPhone forum

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator

Contacts

Advertisement

My address book is a mess. I have doubles, triples and even more of some contacts.

When I got my i4S I set it up to sync with both Gmail and iCloud, so I know this is why things are such a mess.

Question is, how do I clear out my contacts and start from scratch?

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Settings>Mail,Contacts,Calendars> choose Email account, turn off contacts. It will ten ask you if you want to keep te contacts on your phone or delete them. Choose delete. Do this for each account. All contacts will be cleared. Once you have them sorted turn sync back on.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Also, if you do want to sync all accounts. You can choose which account to view. In the contacts app or phone. You'll see the button "groups" in the top left. Choose that and it'll give you options to what group you want to view. The one you select then exit is the one it stays on.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Thanks, B.

So if I get everything straightened out, then turn the iCloud sync back on, will that copy up only what's on my device?

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Thanks, B.

So if I get everything straightened out, then turn the iCloud sync back on, will that copy up only what's on my device?
    It should but I'm not sure what other devices you have set to sync with iCloud so if those are messed up also they will merge/add etc to what is already there.

One of the reasons I have never allowed sync with Google contacts is because of the mess it creates. Every time you get an email or reply to an email on GMail that is added to your contact and you have to prune everything. It creates a mess, unless that has changed or can be turned off that I'm not aware of.

My solution has been to only use one contacts list to keep things a little less confusing. Ahh I'm just getting old maybe

PIN/ID
    Apple
    As SRL said, it should. When you turn your contacts back on it will tell you its going to merge the contacts if you have any on your phone.

Google creates a mess but I'm sure there is a setting to turn auto add off. Mine doesn't auto add.

I would just clear the Google accounts and not the iCloud one. No reason really if you're going to use it for contacts.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I got the same mess up, but with the Contacts on iCloud. Geez.
    My work around was to delete the lot from the iPhone and the iCloud, merge all duplicates on Google and it resolved it.
    Funnily enough on my Outlook it was the BB 9900 that trebled everything. I'm glad thats over.

TeriO no está en línea Stack level 3
    That's happened to me a few times and it's a huge pain in the butt. Once I got it all sorted out, for the 2nd time, I have made sure to only add a contact from my phone or directly into iCloud.

iNurse no está en línea Stack Professional
    i did too.. i am thinking i turned off the contacts in iCloud....I had to hook up to iTunes and delete my contacts from my iPhone, then go to iCloud and fix them the way i want it..... then turn contacts back on on iCloud.. now there are no extras and every time I make a change it goes to my computer... or if i make change on computer it goes to phone.. Love it NOW - but did NOT at first
    :) iNurse :)

philMo no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    I got the same mess up, but with the Contacts on iCloud. Geez.
    My work around was to delete the lot from the iPhone and the iCloud, merge all duplicates on Google and it resolved it.
    Funnily enough on my Outlook it was the BB 9900 that trebled everything. I'm glad thats over.
    Same thing with me. And it worked the same way as well. Takes a little time, but afterwards you should be pretty much fine.