So, I have a few questions about how the Cloud works and I am either ... Apple iPhone forum

TeriO no está en línea Stack level 3

Cloud Questions?

Advertisement

So, I have a few questions about how the Cloud works and I am either not finding the answers on the Apple site or I am just not interpreting what I am seeing correctly enough. So, before I take myself to an Apple store and ask, in person, I thought I would see if I could get some info from Stackers.

1- Most of the items that I listen to, on my phone, are books that I have purchased from Audible. If I am understanding it correctly, so long as that book is also available on iTunes AND I am willing to pay the yearly fee for the expanded version of the Cloud those Audible books can be stored in it. Is that how you guys understand it too?

2- If I have something stored in The Cloud does that mean that I no longer need to store that item on my phone?

3- If I want to listen to a book, does it stream through my data plan for the entire time that I am listening to it OR when I decide that I want to listen to that particular book does it come back onto my phone, I listen to it and then send it back to The Could?

These questions are important to me because I am trying to decide if it's worth it to me to get the extended Cloud so that I can essentially have all of my books with me rather then needing to constantly be moving them back and forth between iTunes and my phone. I don't know if it's worth it if listening to one of my books means that I am also using data from my no longer unlimited data plan. Ya know?

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Teri0

Audible is a third party App and not a native Apple iPhone App so the Cloud is not part of how that stores or allows you to hear a book. I think that is dependent on how Audible works. If you chose to use iCloud to backup your phone rather than storing locally on your computer then it will store the App and all it's data.

iBook audible Books would be a different case altogether but the iPhone App Audible is different.

I'm still figuring out the iCloud thing also like everyone else but I think I'm on the right track with your question.

TeriO no está en línea Stack level 3
    Thanks for the repl srl. I know I read that if I have an item on my phone that I did not purchase through Apple, I can still access it through rhe Cloud so long as iTunes sells the same product. My assumption is, maybe incorrectly, that would encompass items that I have added to my device via a downloaded CD or a 3rd party such as Audible. However, I have not figured out yet how accessing those items impacts my data use, if it does.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I would think if you do not have the item on your phone and you download it to use it, it will use data which will eventually be seen on your data plan. I know that Apple have said that if you have music on your phone/IPod/IPad, that was not purchased through ITunes, but that somebody else has already uploaded (same name of song/same artist) then Apple will not upload it a second time, rather will use the version that is already on their site. This will obviously be more efficient, although one would have to be careful that the versions were exactly the same in length quality etc. I would always want to ensure that I at least keep the original on ITunes on my computer, along with a backup on a separate disk drive, plus I tend to worry about there be some syncing happening which may replace my version with what is in/on the Cloud. As the people have more and more information stored in the Cloud (no matter if it is the ICloud or Google, Microsoft, Sugarsync, Dropbox etc) there will have to be an improvement of bandwidth availablity along with a change in how companies charge for data, since there may be a major upsurge in useage.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Your always going to use Data anytime your using the phone the question is which side, 3G or WiFi when doing the activity. You have the option to turn off 3G and use only Wifi which would be free. Maybe till you can get a gauge on how much Data your going to use you should turn off the 3G.

I think also it's important to break things down a little more and separate them out so you can better understand how they may be related but not actually tied to 3G usage or Data usage on your phone.