We all sort of knew this but it really hits home when its printed publicly. ... Apple iPhone forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Cheating the App Store via a PR Firm

Advertisement

We all sort of knew this but it really hits home when its printed publicly. Just a reminder I guess is why I'm making the post.

Article Link:

When it comes to winning in the App Store, one PR firm has discovered a dynamite strategy: throw ethics out the window. Reverb Communications, a PR firm that represents dozens of game publishers and developers, has managed to find astounding success on Apple’s App Store for its clients. Among its various tactics? It hires a team of interns to trawl iTunes and other community forums posing as real users, and has them write positive reviews for their client’s applications. Yeah, that 5-star iTunes app review you saw for the once top-5 paid app Enigmo? It might not be written by a real user, but rather by Pangea Software’s PR firm. Reverb isn’t the first to try and game the user review process, but they are definitely one of the most blatant cases.

Article Link:
    Last edited by srl7741; 08-23-2009 at 02:04 PM.

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    I read a similar article a while back and it really is a shame that customers can be mislead into buying apps that may not be up to their standards. What's even worse is that it can't be stopped. Customers have to really be scrupulous when choosing paid apps.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    lol that reminds me of when I bought the game mirrors edge based off of TV commercials.
    I was so pissed when I sat down to play the game, it was SOOOOOOOOO stupid!!! Im glad I bought it for 10 bucks rather than the original 49 they wanted.
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    You always have to take any review with a grain of salt. When I see an app with 5 stars, but only maybe 3 reviews or the reviews are almost a photocopy of the apps featurelist, I stay away. Especially if the first review on the list is 'glowing'.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

getsugatensho no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by neorabid View Post
    lol that reminds me of when I bought the game mirrors edge based off of TV commercials.
    I was so pissed when I sat down to play the game, it was SOOOOOOOOO stupid!!! Im glad I bought it for 10 bucks rather than the original 49 they wanted.
    Lol. That sounds like my issue with Need for Speed: Undercover for PS2. The commercials for it looked awesome. Most likely the PS3 version though. When I put that game in my PS2, I just about busted a vessel. What the *!$? Is with these graphics? They're worse than the graphics for Gran Turismo on Playstation.

Very upsetting. Its all okay though, no money out of my pocket. Thank you Christmas.
    BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.122 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105