This Article posted today sums up why I switched over to an iPhone. It also ... Apple iPhone forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Boy Genuis Article on RIM

Advertisement

This Article posted today sums up why I switched over to an iPhone.
    It also supports a few post where I have commented about RIM's OS.

So I thought others would like to read it. It's a pretty good read and not really an iPhone vs or a RIM vs Article.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...ge-2/#comments

Enjoy

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    The article is bit acerbic, but accurate.

RIM has a lot invested in their infrastructure and operating system as is. The core design of the OS hasn't changed much in about 7 years. RIM didn't anticipate the boom in mobile software as brought about by the iPhone, and consequently never invested significant resources in making it a particularly pleasant or powerful platform to develop for.

In 2009, it's clear that the killer app for mobile devices are application stores themselves, where the intrinsic value comes from useful applications written by a large number of developers. The RIM API and OS aren't suited for that sort of thing.

Now, it's adapt or die.
    Need an eScreen code? Try my generator: http://absolous.wavegap.com/projects/escreen/

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I agree. I'm die-hard BlackBerry to the core, but RIM needs to do two things. First, stop rushing and releasing new models before they have fixed all the bugs. Secondly, they need to incorporate new hardware/software in their devices to allow for more apps. Granted, some of the apps Apple has released are cheesy, but some of them are pretty cool. I would like to have the opportunity to download some. Come on RIM, the rest of the industry is gaining on you.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Wow the Ahmadinejad line was hilarious. Having said that, the article was very well written but I think everyone knew/knows this. 500kbs is considered a large file and that is sad. I do believe RIM has some improving to do. It has been the same O/S for a long time now with minimal improvements (a bit of speed, and different layout/icons, but relativelty the same). iPhone's do have a good interface and also good improvements in a short period of time also. The new BlackBerry's that came out and are coming out are quite similar which has led me to keep my 8310 until a really "different" BlackBerry comes out.
    Bottom line, I'm still a die hard fan of BlackBerry and I'm still optimistic that things will improve. A+ for BGR and thanks for posting this link so we all have access to this critique
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    This is a pretty good article...and a good reason to learn from consumer buying trends. The argument, "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it" is no longer a valid reason to not change and improve, especially in this competitive market. A belief that consumers will buy and be loyal to a brand because they have in the past is simply not good enough anymore.

Thanks for the read.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I agree ^^(both) I posted that b/c is explains how I have felt for about a year and the reason I switched to an iPhone. I had no complaints with my Pearl's or Bold and would have preferred to keep using them. I couldn't b/c of what the others have to offer.

25% of the Apps in the App Store are cheesy which leaves roughly 75% as great for numerous different things.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    I’m fortunate enough to be able to have every phone I want on every carrier and that gives a person an incredible amount of clarity when picking the superior products. I use an iPhone 3GS and a BlackBerry Bold everyday, both on AT&T. But to tell you the truth, in the past when people ask me what device would I choose if I had to only pick one, it would hurt my brain. There was just no way to choose. But unfortunately or fortunately, that decision has become clearer and clearer. I don’t think I’ll ever give up my BlackBerry, I’m pretty sure you’ll always find one on my hip in an OEM RIM leather holster, (yes, holsters are cool as ****) but when me of all people starts truly questioning how a company as successful and brilliant as RIM is going to keep up with the next 2-3 years, you’ve got a big, big issue.Although I Do agree that the blackberry UI is boring compared to the Apples and androids, I do believe its comments like this that RIM from updating it. Yes, I also agree that the "If it aint broke dont fix it" rule is outdated and I do hope they change their ways soon.
    I agree with the article, but RIM is still making money and moving more devices than ever before, unlike palm (before the pre) as so many people compare RIM to.

Even with all the hype of these new phone RIM is still leading in sales
    Source:
    http://www.gearlog.com/2009/06/rim_s..._apple_pal.php
    one can say that the reason apple is so behind in sales is because the iphone is only on one carrier, but if the iphone was to go to verizon and had the same success as it did on att I still think it would take a few years to cath up to RIM.

I love my Bold and I could never be without it, but I would like to see a new OS and a fresh UI, but if they keep leading in sales, who could blame them. people know whats out there, it's on tv everynight, but they still decide to go with Blackberry,why? they might want a phone that looks sophisticated and elegant maybe something that has more to offer than A new UI and open source, or 50,000 apps and only have about 10 that appeal to you.

I could only imagine the Stranglehold that RIM would have on the market if they updated everything and made it dazzling.

taynepope no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by goldengirl75 View Post
    This is a pretty good article...and a good reason to learn from consumer buying trends. The argument, "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it" is no longer a valid reason to not change and improve, especially in this competitive market. A belief that consumers will buy and be loyal to a brand because they have in the past is simply not good enough anymore.

Thanks for the read.
    I totally agree golden girl. business standards are changing in practically every sector (medical, automotive etc) that the same status quo won't work. I really have enjoyed our stint w/ Rim but the "seemingly" unlimited functionality of the iphone is putting a real damper on waiting the the 'updated' storm 2 later this year.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I found the 17 models in 3 years interesting. I have never understood this type of business model? It should be 6 or 7 or even less. It's confusing for people who keep up with phone tech news. I can only imagine how the typical consumer feels
    Last edited by srl7741; 07-01-2009 at 01:06 PM.

racerxe24 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I have recently changed over to an iPhone from a Storm. I had an 8830 before that. I love BB's and their reliability. But they are so dull and antiquated when compared to the newer OS's out there. I am constantly playing with my iPhone were my storm was just a phone and text machine. I really hope that BB comes with something new and innovative like the OS's we are seeing today in the Android's, WebOS, and Iphones....

PIN/ID
    Retired
    The thing that Apple really got right and others can learn from is Developers only need to target one device. You can build your Apps once and test it once.
    Who would want to be building Apps for Blackberry and the Android you don't even know what device you're building for or if it had a touchscreen.
    Last edited by srl7741; 07-01-2009 at 02:08 PM.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    The thing that Apple really got right and others can learn from is Developers only need to target one device. You can build your Apps once and test it once.
    Who would want to be building Apps for Blackberry and the Android you don't even know what device you're building for or if it had a touchscreen.
    That's one of my biggest gripes with RIM and why apps for BB cost so much more than apps for iPhone. I have a friend who is a developer and creating apps that work across so many different devices & OS versions is a real PITA. Plus the quality and capabilities of those apps pale in comparison to those of the iPhone. I don't blame developers for that, but do blame RIM's software.

I understand why the BlackBerry is the best device for corporations with the security and infrastructure in place, but I am one who uses my smartphone for personal use, not business. The consumer market for smarthphones is growing astoundingly and I completely agree that RIM needs to stop focusing on new models that appeal to the consumer but simply carry the same old software and pitifully small memory for applications.

I never considered getting an iPhone until I recently got an iPod Touch and now I completely understand the attraction. I still have no plans on getting an iPhone ant time soon since their coverage is not great in my area. A friend with one is constantly plagued by dropped calls. But my allegiance to the BlackBerry is no where near as strong as it once was.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

taynepope no está en línea Stack level 2
    Azstar, i agree with your developer friend. The fact that BB appworld has fewer apps and they 'generally' cost more is beginning to really affect current bb subscribers who want handy apps for nominal cost.

it really saddens me to think that the new storm and all the other bb release scheduled for later this year will look morbidly similar. My family is considering the iphone b/c everything that RIM has released thus far is steeped in SAMENESS

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid

Install on cards would be nice RIM.
    Last edited by neorabid; 07-02-2009 at 09:48 PM.
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow "I really hope that BB comes up with something new"

Quote Originally Posted by racerxe24 View Post
    I have recently changed over to an iPhone from a Storm. I had an 8830 before that. I love BB's and their reliability. But they are so dull and antiquated when compared to the newer OS's out there. I am constantly playing with my iPhone where my storm was just a phone and text machine. I really hope that BB comes up with something new and innovative like the OS's we are seeing today in the Android's, WebOS, and Iphones....
    So I read this thread (and this quote above) and I've commented on BB's and iPhones since the iPhone appeared 2 years ago. I WAS a loyal Blackberry user for too many years to count who also said, "I could never see giving up my Blackberry".....and then I did.

What became clear to me is that BB users were almost obsessive about their email, just their email, at the cost of the rest of the device. While I love email as much as the next guy, it is afterall a PHONE, and when I switched over, the Pearl was the new, hot Blackberry device that was just out. And it was hot because it was the first BB you could hold like a real phone instead of a Poptart next to your ear.

Flash forward, and the iPhone comes out and its small, thin and syncs everything you can possibly think of on one device while it incorporates the hottest item on the market...an ipod. On the email front, there was no real security with the iphone, but the email was beautiful full rich text and image, and the BB was still in the dark ages with their software producing the most basic text emails. So this is what RIM and all BB users would tout..the security and the push email, and they were right....for a minute.

The point of all this is that RIM really needs to see that their secure operating system will ultimately be their downfall as Apple keeps steady pressure to securitize their Exchange ActiveSync Servers and provide the same instantaneous, secure email that BB users love when that little red light flashes. All of this security, but with the most advanced OS on any phone in the market.

As I write this post, my iPhone lets me know it has an email within seconds of it being sent and my emails are being kept in perfect sync on my work computer, home computer and iPhone with approximately 80 separate project folders. It's like I'm on the BB Exchange Server again.

ps. I remember when Boy Genius was creating his website and he was always (and still is) on the cutting edge of anything Blackberry. Great article!
    Last edited by wclyffe; 07-03-2009 at 11:57 AM. Reason: To include Boy Genius comment