I know this has been known for awhile now but thought others would also like ... Apple iPhone forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Be Careful What You Write/Delete on iPhone

Advertisement

I know this has been known for awhile now but thought others would also like to see this video that Demo's what can happen if your not careful with your iPod Touch or iPhone using OS 3.0. What you delete is really not deleted (Just yet). Servers handle data differently and some retain the information longer than you think.

More information:

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    This is interesting and informative..........get busy Apple.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    That's a shame. I would think twice about selling my iphone (if i had one) to anybody for he/she may have access to my information I have previously sent out to banks/friends/phone numbers/etc/accounts/wow very informative at the same time yet another stab at the lack of security on the iphone. Shame on you Apple. I love my bb
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    if your selling your phone I would just do a wipe first to be safe.

you can always rejailbreak and unlock afterwards.
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    No need to blow anything out of proportion. The video is just a good reminder how things work. Emails are not only stored locally on a device but also on the server where they began before being pushed or fetched by the phone. It's normal and actually no different when using a PC or Mac. The difference is you don't have such a good search tool on most PC's or Mac's where they can retrieve it like shown in that iPhone video. The email is being retrieved based on how the email server handles emails.

It's not alarming but just nice to know. Like neo mentioned, b4 selling any phone you should wipe it. The information will be gone. Plus without the email username and password they could not read current or deleted email. The Administrators of the email server probably could tho. When LE Subpoena companies like Yahoo or MSN or Google they are able to turn over the information because of how email is stored and how it's deleted. Actually there are laws that govern how it's stored and when it can be purged.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Wow. That could actually be fun to check out if I bought a second-hand device. Who knows what you could find.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

InfinityPlayer no está en línea Stack level 3

WOW

thanks for showing us that 'loophole' as it may be called in Apples' Security settings. I have an iPhone 3G with 3.1 software, but i think i saw some older emails on there still, even i had also deleted these from months ago.

But, really, that is something that's scary to think about. What if your iPhone stops working altogether and you take it back to the store to replace, that would still mean those old messages, though deleted, would still be on there.

MStrawder, i don't know about 'fun', but still, what if it was your iPhone?
    Define irony: A bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song that was sung by a band that got killed on a plane. - By a man who is in a movie about those very idiots dancing on the plane he was on.