Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

im with you steve. been contemplating buying an iphone 3g and switching back and forth. ... Apple iPhone forum

  1. #16
    cherrichiodo's Avatar
    cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Posts
    17,164

    Advertisement



    im with you steve. been contemplating buying an iphone 3g and switching back and forth. but was told by a good friend (who tried too) that you have to change the plan every single time you switch bc they aren't compatible. that right there is a PITA regardless of whether you choose to call or do it via the web. total bummer.

  2. #17
    Wastegate13's Avatar
    Wastegate13 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    PIN/ID
    249f1af9
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    im with you steve. been contemplating buying an iphone 3g and switching back and forth. but was told by a good friend (who tried too) that you have to change the plan every single time you switch bc they aren't compatible. that right there is a PITA regardless of whether you choose to call or do it via the web. total bummer.
    Your friend is lying. As long as your iPhone is already activated, either legitimately or through a jailbreak you can swap your SIM to your hearts content.I currently have both an iPhone 3g and a Bold, the only feature you will not have is visual voicemail on the iphone. As stated you will occasionally get a text or email saying you don't have the proper data plan and to call ATT.

  3. #18
    xLowdownx's Avatar
    xLowdownx no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    14
    I use the iPhone and my blackberry but it is a pain in the ***. You can use the same sim card however the part that sucks is that you have to call ATT to change plans, from iPhone to blackberry and so fourth... So everytime you want to change devices you need to call them to change data plans.... Hope this helps.

  4. #19
    rbn85's Avatar
    rbn85 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    PIN/ID
    24538FBF
    Posts
    215
    who to believe??? im confused now :S :S :S

  5. #20
    gatechfireblade's Avatar
    gatechfireblade no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    192
    Believe my post because its true. My post only refers to using one type of data plan with both phones. Lowdown describes the way to do it if you want to switch phones and do it legitimately so you don't get emails from att.

  6. #21
    Wastegate13's Avatar
    Wastegate13 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    PIN/ID
    249f1af9
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by xLowdownx View Post
    I use the iPhone and my blackberry but it is a pain in the ***. You can use the same sim card however the part that sucks is that you have to call ATT to change plans, from iPhone to blackberry and so fourth... So everytime you want to change devices you need to call them to change data plans.... Hope this helps.
    I swear I'm going to make a video and put it on Youtube to squash this nonsense once and for all.

  7. #22
    CardiacSmashin's Avatar
    CardiacSmashin no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    35
    I swap between a BB plan and the internet plan(no data) for the tmo Dash with no delay. only the info for the BB takes about a hour longer to set up and install all its crap....
    Kristopher the Great

  8. #23
    xLowdownx's Avatar
    xLowdownx no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Wastegate13 View Post
    Your friend is lying. As long as your iPhone is already activated, either legitimately or through a jailbreak you can swap your SIM to your hearts content.I currently have both an iPhone 3g and a Bold, the only feature you will not have is visual voicemail on the iphone. As stated you will occasionally get a text or email saying you don't have the proper data plan and to call ATT.
    So tell me how to do this? What data plan are you on? I was on a blackberry plan before (THE ONLY WAY TO GET A BLACKBERRY ON ATT or else it will not push service books) and when I popped in my iPhone it worked okay but ATT charged me out the *** for it and I have to fight to get the charges removed because it only works on ATT Blackberrys and the iPhone has a seperate account? Do you have TMobile or something??? I know people who work at ATT tech departments and they were unable to help me with my issue as well. What you say is true, and that data will work and that visual voicemail will not however you will pay out the a lot lot lot more due to the fact tht it is not on the iPhone plan. Windows Moblie, Blackberrys, and iPhones all have different plans but you can USE them between simcards but the plans are not applied so you are using data ala cart if you use a plan which is not particular to your phone....

    It can be done you just have to pay for it, I believe the rate is 15 cents a kilobyte, so if you were to say use an iPhone, your bill could be as high as 150 for a day of use....

    With my method you will not be charged. If you come up with a different way please post I would love to know, just make sure to show your ATT bill as well...

    BTW. I have a 3g iPhone, Curve, Bold, and Touch Pro, and switch between them all...

  9. #24
    Wastegate13's Avatar
    Wastegate13 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    PIN/ID
    249f1af9
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by xLowdownx View Post
    So tell me how to do this? What data plan are you on? I was on a blackberry plan before (THE ONLY WAY TO GET A BLACKBERRY ON ATT or else it will not push service books) and when I popped in my iPhone it worked okay but ATT charged me out the *** for it and I have to fight to get the charges removed because it only works on ATT Blackberrys and the iPhone has a seperate account? Do you have TMobile or something??? I know people who work at ATT tech departments and they were unable to help me with my issue as well. What you say is true, and that data will work and that visual voicemail will not however you will pay out the a lot lot lot more due to the fact tht it is not on the iPhone plan. Windows Moblie, Blackberrys, and iPhones all have different plans but you can USE them between simcards but the plans are not applied so you are using data ala cart if you use a plan which is not particular to your phone....

    It can be done you just have to pay for it, I believe the rate is 15 cents a kilobyte, so if you were to say use an iPhone, your bill could be as high as 150 for a day of use....

    With my method you will not be charged. If you come up with a different way please post I would love to know, just make sure to show your ATT bill as well...

    BTW. I have a 3g iPhone, Curve, Bold, and Touch Pro, and switch between them all...
    I'm glad you're getting excited over this. Of course the ATT reps will tell you that the data plans are not interchangeable with one another, most don't know any better and thats what they've been told to tell customers. I will state this plainly for everyone to understand:

    There is absolutely no difference between any data plan that ATT or any other carrier offers. The only *slight exception being the BB data plan since a registered BIS account is required to use the BB data functions. They all use the same APN, login and password to access data over ATT's network. ATT prices them differently because of the expected usage, "dumb" phones are expected to use less data than a "smart" phone so they are offered with what used to be called the MediaNet plans. "Smart" phones are offered with the PDA plans because they are expected to use more data since they are technically capable of more data related functions.

    I have had more phones than you have fingers and toes in this past year alone. I have personally never had any overages in my bill. YMMV

    PS: Here's the super secret way to use a BB data plan with your iPhone 3G. DO NOT distribute this because its a secret!

    1: power off you BB handset
    2: remove your SIM
    3: insert your SIM into an activated iPhone 3g
    4: enjoy all of your data functions with the exception of visual voicemail

  10. #25
    gatechfireblade's Avatar
    gatechfireblade no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by Wastegate13 View Post
    I'm glad you're getting excited over this. Of course the ATT reps will tell you that the data plans are not interchangeable with one another, most don't know any better and thats what they've been told to tell customers. I will state this plainly for everyone to understand:

    There is absolutely no difference between any data plan that ATT or any other carrier offers. The only *slight exception being the BB data plan since a registered BIS account is required to use the BB data functions. They all use the same APN, login and password to access data over ATT's network. ATT prices them differently because of the expected usage, "dumb" phones are expected to use less data than a "smart" phone so they are offered with what used to be called the MediaNet plans. "Smart" phones are offered with the PDA plans because they are expected to use more data since they are technically capable of more data related functions.

    I have had more phones than you have fingers and toes in this past year alone. I have personally never had any overages in my bill. YMMV

    PS: Here's the super secret way to use a BB data plan with your iPhone 3G. DO NOT distribute this because its a secret!

    1: power off you BB handset
    2: remove your SIM
    3: insert your SIM into an activated iPhone 3g
    4: enjoy all of your data functions with the exception of visual voicemail
    He is right. All the BS aside, all data that goes through ATT has the same APN. BIS uses a separate APN, but because the BB doesn't access all data through the BIS APN, some goes through the ATT APN. Honestly, they probablt ended up just messing up your data plans and just charged you pay per minute, but as soon as you mention that you had an iPhone on a BB plan, they probably blamed it on that cause. They are always looking for a way to make a quick buck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •