Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

With AT&T plans can you switch back and forth from an iPhone plan to a ... Apple iPhone forum

lauren25 no está en línea Stack level 5

AT&T- can you switch back and forth...

Advertisement

With AT&T plans can you switch back and forth from an iPhone plan to a Blackberry plan?

I would assume that you would have to use 2 different SIM cards, so I don't see how that would work.

I just want to know if it's possible if you want to use both devices with the same cell phone number..

Does anyone know?
    ~Lauren

bigmarv no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Optional
    With the new 3G iPhone you can switch your sim back and forth to a different device. But considering the two devices you have mention. You would not be able to use the full feature capablities unless you switch features also. That can be costly.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Well I heard that you can't switch the SIM cards. The iPhone SIM card can't be switched to any other device besides another iPhone.

That's why I wanted to know if there was possibly a way to use 2 SIM cards, or if there was another option..

I mean both plans cost $30 a month so hopefully there is a way..
    ~Lauren

xattica no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    GA
    There are no differences between sim card provided with your iphone and other devices. But as bigmarv said, could be costly. The iphone account covers any data cause the iphone browser. But I dont know about the blackberry services. Let me try during the week and see. I got an additional Pearl.

bigmarv no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Optional
    Lauren25 with an 3G iPhone you can use your sim from any previous device or take your sim from the iPhone and put it into a Blackberry. Yes both data plans cost $30. Here is where the difference comes in. The iPhone has to be unbricked through itunes to have data. The Blackberry data provides you with unlimited data and unlimted push email. So if you have the iPhone data activated on your plan, once you put your sim in the Blackberry. You will not be able to use the Blackberries capabilities. If you change the data plans for each switch. Oh nelli take about a high bill from prorated charges.
    via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Alright thanks for all your responses.
    ~Lauren

chuckymafia no está en línea Stack level 2
    I do that. I moved my sim From a Pantech Duo to a Blackberry to a Pantech C3B to a Palm Treo and I never go overages charges since the Blackberry allows two kinds of data usages and I have the unlimited Blackberry plan, the only problem I had was the email server settings on the Blackberry. it kept sending all my other phones a weird text message in code. It ws due to the email that Blackberries get. That is my personal Experience and with many phones at my disposal. The blackberry plan covered all this data and more thatn I expected. It seems like you will not have any problems with the iphone as it uses data the same way a blackberry does too. Well I hope that this helps you, just don't tether the modem as this is not Covered. i learned that the hardway but avoided the $3000 bill because I did ask before and the representative said I could. Smart me I recorder it and porved to them that. Anyways I was smart and saved that cost, now I know. Everything else works fine without extra fees except for Tethering

Your post does say to change between data plans back and forth, this will cause pro rated charges but honestly they are about the same price unless you get the blackberry plan that has text messaging, I changed my plan to the PDA data and went back to Blackberry personal and no extra charges. Just move your sim car once you get Data on a plan and this will work on either phone. I have honestly kept the Blackberry plan as this has covered all data on any other phone. Before i even did the PDA I had blackberry and swapped sim Cards, never had it show extra charges or problems. I suggest that. That has worked for me so far
    Last edited by azstar; 10-03-2008 at 02:47 AM. Reason: double post

x doubl3 a no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249FA6EC
    as a former at&t employee it CAN be done! I am currently using a 16G iphone, but switch back and forth with my at&t BOLD. My iphone however is jailbroken. The ONLY feature that i am missing would be VISUAL VOICEMAIL. no biggie really. Reason for the jailbreaking of the iphone is to allow me to not switch from my BB plan to the iphone data (even tho now, they are both equal amount $30) Only troulbe you might run into would be a BB to a iphone 2G. But having the best of both worlds is a MUST. :-)
    Rockin' a 9530 on VZW(OS 4.7.0.141), 8330 on VZW.
    [BEST OF BOTH WORLDS]

rbn85 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24538FBF
    So if I have a BB plan, and I put my sim in a iphone 2g, I wouldnt b e able to use the internet in the iphone?... ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

lolofosho no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by rbn85 View Post
    So if I have a BB plan, and I put my sim in a iphone 2g, I wouldnt b e able to use the internet in the iphone?... ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Yeah I'm curiousvon this as well

PIN/ID
    24538FBF
    Cus I'm about to buy an iphone and I dont want to go tru all the hassle of changing my plan.... I want to try the iphone, I wouldnt replace my BB at all... Any att reps or iphone experts arround??~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I'm curious as well? The above posts really don't make it clear to me. If I currently have a AT&T Bold (unlocked) can i remove the SIM card and insert it into an iPhone 3G and have everything work?

Yes?
    No?

Thanks

gatechfireblade no está en línea Stack level 3
    I have/had a Blackberry and an iPhone and here is the rundown on what can be done:

WITH Blackberry Plan:

iPhone 3g and iPhone 2g both work. The only problem here is that ATT scans IMEI numbers so you WILL get an email stating that you have the wrong data plan for your phone. You should not be charged for the data because you do have an unlimited Blackberry Data plan. However I cannot say that they won't charge you eventually if you keep disreguarding the messages. The benefits of owning a 2g iPhone come into play here because you can hack the 2g iPhones IMEI number. This allows you to change the IMEI number (THIS IS ILLEGAL!) to the same IMEI of your blackberry which negates the email portion and keeps ATT from knowing you have an iPhone on the line. You will not be able to use visual voice mail on either iPhone 2g nor 3g. The 3g's IMEI number cannot be spoofed at the momment and most likely never will considering the iPhone Dev Team is very bent on abiding by laws.

WITH iPhone Plan:

This is bascially pointless because you will not be able to use your blackberry through BIS which has its consequences. The Blackberry is meant to run with BIS and without it, you wont be able to use the built in email client, BB messenger, or any other BIS APN functions. Using your BB with this setup will allow basic browsing and will function like you had MEDIA net only on your phone.

What I did was use my iPhone on my BB plan until they sent me an email. Took about 1-2 weeks after swapping over. I then switched back to the BB for at least a week after I got the email. I haven't gotten any overages.

EDIT: There is absolutely no difference between the iPhone sim card and every other one. Anyone that tells you elsewise is lying or stupid. The only difference between sim cards is whether you have an old one or new one. New ones support 3g, older ones do not. ANY new phone you buy at ATT now, regardless of whether it has 3g or not, will have a 3g enabled sim card. This should tell you that any device that is unlocked will take a 3g sim card regardless if it supports it.
    Last edited by gatechfireblade; 01-20-2009 at 12:39 AM.
    Mechanical Engineering
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    2004 Honda CBR 1000RR "Fireblade"
    2006 Yamaha R6

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Thanks for the information, I use an unlocked Bold and was thinking about popping out the SIM card and using it with a 3G iPhone when I feel the itch to use it. There are several things about the iPhone I love and the BB does not offer.

PIN/ID
    24538FBF
    Yeah me too... I got a sweet deal on an iphone 3g... Well ill try it next week.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Last edited by rbn85; 01-22-2009 at 03:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast