Gizmodo has posted a response by AppleCare regarding the upcoming update that will fix the ... Apple iPhone forum

PIN/ID
    Apple

AppleCare response to iPhone 4 signal issues

Advertisement

Gizmodo has posted a response by AppleCare regarding the upcoming update that will fix the signal bar display issue but will not fix the antenna issue that some are experiencing. There is a petition in the article that you can sign to try and get apple to give iPhone 4 users a free case due to this. I have followed this from the very beginning and have used my friends iPhone 4 which does have this issue if I hold the phone "just" right. I actually had to make sure that I held the phone in the "dead" spot for this to happen. Now, this is probably that I hold my phone in a different way that doesn't affect it vs someone that holds it different than I do. I was Whole Foods yesterday picking up some groceries when i ran across a gentleman in his late 40's that had the iPhone 4, I questioned him on this issue and he was completely oblivious to what i was talking about. He stated that he has had zero issues out of the phone and was quite happy with it and went into showing it off for me. Lol. I again asked this question to a customer of mine today and he too said he was un aware of any issue and went on raving about how cool it was. It seems to me that most people that have noticed this issue are the ones that are like us, keeping up with all the news on the new toy. Apple has once again created a great product that 90% seem to be happy with while the 10% that do seem to want and make it happen. I have read very little on anyone outside of the states having issues with this so maybe it is just a fact of that the iPhone 4 has issues with this since the coverage doesn't seem to be as strong in some areas. The way that we all view how strong our coverage is is by judging the bars that we have on our phone when in fact this is a complete falsehood on what the signal actually is. Some are better than others and although there is a problem with the iPhone 4 when you hold it a certain way it certainly has to do with how strong the signal is to start with. What i haven't seen is test on blackberry and android devices to determine how much signal loss they actually have when holding the device a certain way. Now, the iPhone 4 has an issue, it's attenna design is one that gives it better reception, unless you hold it in the dead spot on the phone. This is definatly a issue for those that live in weak coverage area but this can tsee being blamed on apple. It is a carrier problem and shows the true coverage area of AT&T. Make no mistake, the iPhone 4 has a issue when a blackberrybor android doesn't seem,tombe affected. This is the design of the phone. The only way to solve this seems to be a complete redesign of the phone in which case apple would have to honor all returns for a new device. This would cost millions to do and would not be the best thing for the company. There is no other solution than the ones that Apple have already given, hold the phone slightly different so you are not affected or buy a case. 85% of the people that spend this kind of money on a phone buy a case for it. That is why that market has taken off in a huge way since 2007. Thank apple for that also. Before the iPhone there was only blackberry, they where nice,rugged and could(still can) take a beating. If you dropped your 8700 you held your breath and the sighed whe you picked it up and it worked as normal with just a few more battle scars. With the advent of the full screen touch device it became crucial to have something to protect it, no longer did you have a 2" screen with the device itself to protect it you had a device that was the screen. For most this swill not be a issue as they will get a case and not worry about it. For others they want to look at the negitive in the big boy on the block and their design flaw. Pesonally i wouldn't admit to a flaw either when I'm selling these things faster thani can manufacture them. It would cost a enormous amount of money. What i would do though is package a bumper as apple calls them in with the iPhone 4 and ship every one who bought one a free one. Problem solved and 99% will be satisfied. The other one percent will always find something negative, in their phone, job or life. Those you can not help or please. It's not a perfect world and if you try to please everyone you will end up pleasing no one. Thoughts and opinions.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    As for the call dropping issue, I havent had this particular problem because I bought a Griffin bumper with a clear hard plastic back when I purchased my i4. As for signal strength, quite honestly Im getting four bars in the same places (work, home) where I only had two with my 9700.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Could just be the way that apples algorithm for the signal displays bars. Glad you are enjoying your new iPhone 4. I see that you ha e your device listed as a iPhone 4G. I understand that it is the forth generation device but the it isn't a iPhone 4G, it is a iPhone 4. Just food for thought from one old stacker to the next.

BoSoxFan82 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Thank you for posting. I currently own a 9700 but am anxious to get my hands on the iPhone 4. I love the sleek new design and have owned an iPod touch....quite frankly I love my toys as most of us on pinstack do. I like to do my research and this helps. I heard a lot about the antenna issues but this helps clear it up. Thanks again.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Quote Originally Posted by BHP77 View Post
    Could just be the way that apples algorithm for the signal displays bars. Glad you are enjoying your new iPhone 4. I see that you ha e your device listed as a iPhone 4G. I understand that it is the forth generation device but the it isn't a iPhone 4G, it is a iPhone 4. Just food for thought from one old stacker to the next.
    Yes Im aware that its not 4G. But in some circles thats what its called- iPhone 4G (4th generation), just as the 3G is the third generation and so on and so forth. I believe the only current 4G carrier is Sprint, am I correct?
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Yea, only sprint. I'm just being OCD about it I guess.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I've not had any signal issues either and in fact while at work where I had zero bars I now have 3 and I'm able to use Edge for small tasks where b4 I had to move to a different area hundreds of feet away to get a signal.

I've never put much weight on the meter, it's just an indicator. I figured that out in the early days of making themes. You could change the signal meters to anything you wanted and the user would never know. I know what your thinking? No i did not do that to people. I kept them the way they should have been but the point is the battery indicator and even the % option is simply a reference to look at and not always true or exact.

When an update OS is released I'm kind of wondering if it will help me or make it worse? I'd rather not fix something that is not broken i guess.

jhutton12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7BB5F94A
    Only android or BB fanatics of which I used to be one of them would of argue that the iphone is a toy with bad reception! Of course I don't believe that any more. Lol
    Shalom to you (peace)