Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello I'm living in Dubai and sure you can expect the temperature over here because ... Apple iPhone forum

Tronky no está en línea Stack level 2

Question A strange problem with iPhone4 and need your advise

Advertisement

Hello

I'm living in Dubai and sure you can expect the temperature over here because this has to do with the problem.

Right now for example it's almost 107 F outside.

The problem is that when I stay with my iPhone 4 in the sun for a while and this happens almost 3 to 4 times a day, the iPhone will heat and when I use it i hear noise from the internal speaker and the other party will not hear my voice clearly for a while then will not hear me at all.
    This happens with internal speaker & headset and sometimes with the loud speaker as well.

5 or 10 minutes after I go to an air conditioned place it will cool down and everything will be fine.

I have tried to go to the carrier who sold me the phone for that but they require to see the problem live.

The don't fix iPhones, they just replace them if they found a fault.

Every time I try to go to them while I have this problem and until my turn comes, the iPhone is working fine as it cooled down.

The problem sometimes happens when left in the charge for a while or while using 3G or wifi for an extended period of time.

Any ideas how to replicate the problem while at the carrier outlet ?

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Definitely overheating.

Is there an app that monitors battery or CPU heat? I have an android and those apps are a dime a dozen.

If there is an app or if you can get ahold of an aquarium thermometer (the little black film like ones) I'd go outside or charge it and note the temp. Place the aquarium thermometer on the back or where it feels hottest. Note the temp.

Go to your dealer. I'd let it heat out side and attempt to wrap in cloth or an insulation medium. You want to maintain the temp as close as possible.

I m assuming you don't have insurance on the device. Seems extreme that they want to replicate an overheating issue.

The safest way (because overheating a device can damage it, use the method I explained as a last resort) would be to leave the device, allowing them to charge to temp you've noted the malfunction.

Thanks for your reply jfcooley

I think that your solution might help, although even when overheated, it doesn't necessarily malfunctioning

May be 70% of the time it's overheated, it does malfunction.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Do you have any sort of case or protection on the device? I'm wondering if that might not insulate it somewhat. Could even make the problem worse, I guess, but something to think about.

Have a look at this: http://www.seidioonline.com/product-p/bd4-hkr4iph4v.htm

I use it and love it.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    i know of the issue u speak-think every carrierthere is always a line, like att here. Another idea is if charging can cause it to show as well, assuming its a temperature thing like u said is to rush there when issue occurs, then plug it up near window or outside in heat as let it heat up again as u wait so they will not be able to deny your issue again.

Of course it goes without saying that you back EVERYTHING up before trying this risky procedure, and do tbis @ your own risk.
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Definitely overheating.

Is there an app that monitors battery or CPU heat? I have an android and those apps are a dime a dozen.

If there is an app or if you can get ahold of an aquarium thermometer (the little black film like ones) I'd go outside or charge it and note the temp. Place the aquarium thermometer on the back or where it feels hottest. Note the temp.

Go to your dealer. I'd let it heat out side and attempt to wrap in cloth or an insulation medium. You want to maintain the temp as close as possible.

I m assuming you don't have insurance on the device. Seems extreme that they want to replicate an overheating issue.

The safest way (because overheating a device can damage it, use the method I explained as a last resort) would be to leave the device, allowing them to charge to temp you've noted the malfunction.
    just saw this, very close to what i said, would also suggest using a digital camera and taking a picture of the aquarium thermometer idea, @attheextreme temp or maybe even a video showing the distortion , on speakerphone, and carrying it with you as proof.
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

My TORCH Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Do you have any sort of case or protection on the device? I'm wondering if that might not insulate it somewhat. Could even make the problem worse, I guess, but something to think about.

Have a look at this: http://www.seidioonline.com/product-p/bd4-hkr4iph4v.htm

I use it and love it.
    I have the punched type plastic case for the purpose of reducing overheating.

Will try a silicone or rubber case, it should help keep the heat longer.

Quote Originally Posted by thbassman View Post
    i know of the issue u speak-think every carrierthere is always a line, like att here. Another idea is if charging can cause it to show as well, assuming its a temperature thing like u said is to rush there when issue occurs, then plug it up near window or outside in heat as let it heat up again as u wait so they will not be able to deny your issue again.

Of course it goes without saying that you back EVERYTHING up before trying this risky procedure, and do tbis @ your own risk.
    It's not possible to expose it to sunlight inside the outlet specially that the building is air conditioned with almost no windows at least where customers wait.

The big problem with all the suggested trials is that the phone cools down within 10 minutes, so if I have a long queue it will cool down by the time my turn comes.

I'm thinking of waiting for my turn, explaining briefly to the CSO, then tell him that I will step aside until the problem happens and in that particular time I will need his urgent attention.

Quote Originally Posted by thbassman View Post
    just saw this, very close to what i said, would also suggest using a digital camera and taking a picture of the aquarium thermometer idea, @attheextreme temp or maybe even a video showing the distortion , on speakerphone, and carrying it with you as proof.
    The video will not count as a proof unless the IMEI is visible clearly, I will try that.

The have a strange concept over here, they will treat the customer as mistaken/don't know how to deal with technology/trying to fool them, etc., until proofs otherwise.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Since your having a issue and can't replicate it in the store and I'm guessing you don't has a apple store nearby, call apple. Tell apple whats going on. IMO, this is one of the best things about owning a iOS device. You can go straight to the manufacturer.

Let them know of your problem and that you can't seem to get it replaced by the store you bought it from. You'll most likely end up with a new iPhone sent to you in the mail. They may charge you until you send the new one in. FYI.

PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tronky View Post
    I have the punched type plastic case for the purpose of reducing overheating.

Will try a silicone or rubber case, it should help keep the heat longer.

It's not possible to expose it to sunlight inside the outlet specially that the building is air conditioned with almost no windows at least where customers wait.

The big problem with all the suggested trials is that the phone cools down within 10 minutes, so if I have a long queue it will cool down by the time my turn comes.

I'm thinking of waiting for my turn, explaining briefly to the CSO, then tell him that I will step aside until the problem happens and in that particular time I will need his urgent attention.
    That might work, I would have done it when I still sold phones.
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

My TORCH Rocks!

PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tronky View Post
    The video will not count as a proof unless the IMEI is visible clearly, I will try that.

The have a strange concept over here, they will treat the customer as mistaken/don't know how to deal with technology/trying to fool them, etc., until proofs otherwise.

Not much for cust service, huh?? I would try, get a camera that rolls/records in HDMI, then record the IMEI, they should be able to blow the pic up(magnify it) enough to id your device.
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

My TORCH Rocks!

Lightbulb

2 days ago I had the same problem while I was near an outlet, I ran into the outlet and showed it to a CSR.

I asked him to communicate the problem to the other outlet but he refused saying that this is not one of his responsibilities and he can't decide if it's hardware problem or not, I asked him to just communicate what he has heard but again he refused !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today during a call, I had the same issue, actually it's becoming more than I can tolerate, then I switched to the loud speaker and thankfully it happened with the loud speaker as well, I gaped another near by phone and shoot a video that shows the problem though the noise was not clear enough on the video.

I'm planning to go to that outlet Manager directly and show him the video on which I made sure that the serial number appears.

I hope this helps as since my last post I went two times to the same outlet while having the problem and when I got in, it didn't show

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Frustrating, I'm sure. Hope you get it all resolved.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Call Apple. Why are you dragging this out with a carrier or retailer that's unwilling to help you???

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    By the time you decide to go and ask Apple it'll be too late and your device will no longer be under warranty and of course leaving you S.O.L.
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast