Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I'm very curious to see how this pans out too. Historically, RIM has placed a ... Apple iPhone forum

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Advertisement

I'm very curious to see how this pans out too.

Historically, RIM has placed a high premium on it's "Professional" line of devices (88xx). Even today, they still are priced around $250 with contract. The Bold is only $50 more.

I feel that this has been done because there are a lot of corporations which purchase this series for their execs and frankly, they'll pay the premium. With the Bold, they seem to be trying to appeal to a broader market.

However, until the price drops on the 88xx series, I really don't see the Bold price coming down at all. What's even more interesting is that RIM neglected to make a Bold without a camera. For many corporate users, this is a major problem.

My company BB rep admin is becoming concerned. The 88xx is getting older and they don't seem to be replacing them with another non-camera version. What's the future for this market?

Interesting speculation. I'm very curious to see where this goes!
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

mouseman225 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Back with the whole squeakr/holiday dre debate, I'm gonna hafta agree with squeakr here. This situation reminds me of GM's money problems. See, GM sells a lot of cars right? Just like blackberry sells a lot of phones. However, since the economy is kinda crappy right now, they have to keep lowering their prices/ offering more incentives to keep people buying. Stil sounds ok right? Well consider how many different models they're producing. Under GM they have Pontiac, Chevy, Buick, Cadillac, which all have several models under them, so the cost of producing all those models of cars is quite high. Now consider foreign automakers like Toyota, who we'll compare to Apple here. They have, what, 6 models? Prius, Corolla, Celica, Titan, Tocoma, and Highlander, and I'm sure a few more. Anyway, they have way fewer models they're producing, so even if they sell a few less vehicles than GM, they are still generting a larger profit when compared to their production cost. So with blackberry producing so many models, even though they may be selling a higher NUMBER than Apples Iphone, I'm sure Apple is still cutting a larger profit at the end of the day. And many financial experts have said that the only way to save GM is to shut down some of its lines and produce only a few core models. I just hope that my analogy is way off and the GM crisis won't mirror a future BB crisis if they spread themselves too thin. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
    Or probability say it will go the opposite way, which is less development and fewer new offerings as the first thing cut when profits are lost or low is R&D developments. RIM might decide to limit their offerings and draw back to their main core focus, which is the business user who coincidentally doesn't pinch pennies as bad as joe six-pack and has a larger budget. I hope you are right, but with the economy the way it is and more stores and businesses closing than ever before, I have to disagree with your sentiment. In fact, if prices were to drop enough that may sway more businesses to adopt the Iphone at the lower cost and this would definitely hurt RIM's bottom line. Remember to be careful for what you wish for, as you just might get it. Keep in mind Apple really has just one offering, its the sam model with different memory configurations, so their cost to manufacturer are not affected much across the production line. RIM on the other hand has a large inventory of parts and specialties to maintain. Not a good thing from a cost of production stand point.
    I agree with some of your points, and certainly respect your viewpoint,

However I disagree that this reverse scenario of "say it will go the opposite way, which is less development and fewer new offerings" will be brought on by a price war.

It's highly unlikely your scenario stated above would occur. It would take a massive decline in the economy. One far greater than the present. And even at that, RIM has far too many decade long contracts with the government, and all the Fortune 1000 companies, to be as affected as Apple will. Being first and foremost a consumer device that has only recently opened it's eyes to the enterprise, Apple is in no position to penetrate the huge user base with it's infrastructure of RIM BES servers in the various corporations. Especially during tough economic times. Businesses are going to sit tight and wait out the downturn before spending any more money on IT.

Unlike individuals, corporations do not view their devices as disposable, nor to they turn them over at a whim as do many individuals do their personal phones. This very stable and long enduring user base that RIM has in the corporate sector is not going anywhere.

Apple can blow all the smoke they want and they do, but in the end, we are talking about the backbone of America. Big business, and they are not ones to fall into the trap of fads, hype, or buying something that's cool, just to look good. They could care less about looking good, or having a great entertainment experience for their employees, they are seriously focused on one thing and one thing only. The bottom line. Make no mistake about it.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4
    I completely agree with you archer and I guess that I was a little vague as what I was trying to say is exactly as you said, that they won't cut out their business side (that is what I view as their core market). I could see them getting rid of some of their consumer specific models, especially as they are not selling very well. The company I work for supplies the major parts for these devices and we have cut back to that focus and stopped some of the except developments that we were investing in. I wasn't saying that Apple would take users from RIM, but they would gain a whole new set of users and therefor gain a larger market share as the user base would expand. I agree on the sit tight theory for big business, but since most companies already have Exchange servers running, if they could cut the cost of the BES servers needed (as they already pay a data fee per user and then pay a per user fee for the BES as well) and still have the same instantaneous email with the security of Exchange, for a large customer data base that could be a tremendous savings for a large corporation. Just my theories on the possibilities that could take place. Fun to speculate isn't it??? I agree this Apple rumor, if nothing else but that, is an interesting watch.

The other aspect that will be interesting IF they do this, is how long it takes for the other smartphone makers to respond.

Naylor07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241ECE99
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/1...ly-not-for-99/

New update, $197 for 8 gig, no mention of 4 gig

Quote Originally Posted by Naylor07 View Post
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/1...ly-not-for-99/

New update, $197 for 8 gig, no mention of 4 gig
    This is just a ruse to deflect attention. $99 will be the price before the 25th, just watch.

Via the Real Deal: BlackBerry Bold

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F
    Quote Originally Posted by danger872 View Post
    To make everything easy on me I will jus ditch my 80gb ipod and buy the iphone for 100....and still keep my bb8800.....it never fails on me...then why should I fail on it....lol
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I'd prolly do the same thing. Get the 4GB iPhone n keep the 8830 for work.

ikasen no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    This is just a ruse to deflect attention. $99 will be the price before the 25th, just watch.

Via the Real Deal: BlackBerry Bold
    I assume you're just kidding. I've read in more than one other place the same info about the $99 4GB being untrue, but the $197 8 GB being true.

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    They need to be selling it for $50. One of my co-works 1st Iphone 3G died, now his second one died on Monday. He is thinking about going back a Blackberry. I recommended the Bold.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ another thing to thinl about is ntelos, tmobile, verizon and I believe att are selling pearls for $49 or less. That's under the $99 threshold already. Gotta still wait and see.

impak875 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    DROID
    nTelos has FREE Pearls after a $29.99 rebate...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123