Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Originally Posted by riff_raff At that price they will be very popular but then they'll ... Apple iPhone forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by riff_raff View Post
    At that price they will be very popular but then they'll be EVERYWHERE and they'll lose their status symbol factor FAST.
    I agree, and Steve Jobs will laugh all the way to the bank. After all, Apple only cares about the money. Don't be fooled.
    Sent via Archer's BlackBerry

Naylor07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241ECE99
    I bet they will still require the mandatory data plan for that price. That is 30 a month more that I don't know if everyone is going to be willing to drop.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    I don't think the data plan will be a big issue. The issue to most folk is the upfront cost, and with the price for a phone being that cheap most will overlook that extra cost for the data package.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by Capdot View Post
    I don't think the data plan will be a big issue~
    You are 100% correct. Believe me, the people that fail to see the threat this presents to RIM & other smartphone makers are missing the point. And I'm not being critical of anyone. It is, what it is. Should Apple decide to do this (and it's looking real) then the game will have changed drastically. Let's not kid ourselves. Apple & Walmart are powerhouses. The iPhone has the cool factor & is highly sought after by those who cannot afford it at the current price. These people shop at Walmart, they identify with Walmart, and the moment they find out that the much coveted iPhone is on the shelves of Walmart during the holiday season, they will fly off the shelves. Apple has a brilliant approach to marketing & always has.
    Sent via Archer's BlackBerry

mdwaite no está en línea Stack level 2

mbflow no está en línea Stack level 1
    right now u can get the flip 8220 @ wal mart for free w/ 2 year contract and the data plan ... is not a bad deal... but having the iphone @ $99 would shut overyones mind and they are only going to see the $99 TAG!! it happens all the time .. just like when the 3g came out ... everyone was impress about THE NEW IPHONE FOR ONLY STARTING @ $200 ... just like black friday ... u kill urself for that good deal going to the store EXTREMELY EARLY ... and sometimes when u get there later u prolly have the same deal .. or just later ALL THE PRICES go down ... so is all about making everything looks like is a good deal ...

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4
    The other thing that people are missing is that the big selling point for BB is the instantaneous email delivery, but the people that purchasing and worrying about price point are only getting BIS (and not the power user BES). Since BIS is no faster or more reliable than Exchange, the plus is gone. (This is unless you are using GMAIL or Yahoo as they have push working) BIS servers are pulling at the same time and rate that Exchange is fetching on the Apple. When people see the versatility of the Ipod then they are swayed. I must say it was one point that pushed me to the Iphone as all of the docks and accessories that are available are really cool. I can charge and use as an alarm clock to wake with the alarm clock dock using real speakers and not the built in (while controlling from remote and using video out). RIM realized this with the new dock for the Storm, so they are coming around. It is just that so many accessories exist and I can control through the home stereo by remote and through the car stereo, that it is a feature that most are overlooking, in my opinion, as a plus when comparing to other devices. I saw no mention of this in the STORM v. IPHONE comparisons around this site (which to be fair should have been included). I also find that it is a very clear and nice/loud phone as well (and that is the real main point isn't it, not knocking BB as they are great as well, just adding this as a side note).
    Last edited by squeakr; 12-05-2008 at 03:43 PM.

HolidayDre no está en línea Stack level 2
    I love competition...falling prices, better phones... we win! I personally like my Curve more than I do an iphone, but at the same time, I really don't care if RIM loses to Apple in terms of sales etc. etc...WHY? Because I win in the end. Prices will drop, better/more products will come out. I mean, I'm not some kind of RIM worshiper, I like them the most, but at the end of the day, a really inexpensive iphone will benefit me even the more as a RIM customer...and THAT is great business...for me and you anyway.
    Last edited by HolidayDre; 12-05-2008 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HolidayDre View Post
    I love competition...falling prices, better phones... we win! I personally like my Curve more than I do an iphone, but at the same time, I really don't care if RIM loses to Apple in terms of sales etc. etc...WHY? Because I win in the end. Prices will drop, better/more products will come out. I mean, I'm not some kind of RIM worshiper, I like them the most, but at the end of the day, a really inexpensive iphone will benefit me even the more as a RIM customer...and THAT is great business...for me and you anyway.
    Or probability say it will go the opposite way, which is less development and fewer new offerings as the first thing cut when profits are lost or low is R&D developments. RIM might decide to limit their offerings and draw back to their main core focus, which is the business user who coincidentally doesn't pinch pennies as bad as joe six-pack and has a larger budget. I hope you are right, but with the economy the way it is and more stores and businesses closing than ever before, I have to disagree with your sentiment. In fact, if prices were to drop enough that may sway more businesses to adopt the Iphone at the lower cost and this would definitely hurt RIM's bottom line. Remember to be careful for what you wish for, as you just might get it. Keep in mind Apple really has just one offering, its the sam model with different memory configurations, so their cost to manufacturer are not affected much across the production line. RIM on the other hand has a large inventory of parts and specialties to maintain. Not a good thing from a cost of production stand point.
    Last edited by squeakr; 12-05-2008 at 04:31 PM.

HolidayDre no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
    Or probability say it will go the opposite way, which is less development and fewer new offerings as the first thing cut when profits are lost or low is R&D developments. RIM might decide to limit their offerings and draw back to their main core focus, which is the business user who coincidentally doesn't pinch pennies as bad as joe six-pack and has a larger budget. I hope you are right, but with the economy the way it is and more stores and businesses closing than ever before, I have to disagree with your sentiment. In fact, if prices were to drop enough that may sway more businesses to adopt the Iphone at the lower cost and this would definitely hurt RIM's bottom line. Remember to be careful for what you wish for, as you just might get it. Keep in mind Apple really has just one offering, its the sam model with different memory configurations, so their cost to manufacturer are not affected much across the production line. RIM on the other hand has a large inventory of parts and specialties to maintain. Not a good thing from a cost of production stand point.
    Yes, I see your point, however, with the popularity of the Pearl and Curve and even the popularity of BB rising, I can only see RIM continuing to try and gain a wider user base, by creating and selling more products that appeal to a wider audience. Basically, I see RIM creating more devices that merge the business aspects that BB is known for with media centered abilities that appeal to the masses. I hope you're wrong, but it can go either way. I feel as though the success of their recent phones (exception of the Storm for now at least) will drive them to create more products. In addition, the iphone is only on AT&T, every carrier has BB devices. Many people wouldn't be willing to pay an ETF just to get an iphone, when they could get a comparable BB on their current provider
    Last edited by HolidayDre; 12-05-2008 at 05:12 PM.

Yes, I hope so as well. Variety is the spice of life. That said I know that my company was branching like RIM is, but haven't recently scaled all operations back to only include their original core focus (and we are a supplier to every cell manufacturer out there). Times are not good and we are being preemptive. I see other companies going this way and the media-centric options are usually shut off with BES policies, so most corporations would prefer if they weren't even there in the first place (as they are a security risk as a possibility for intellectual property theft). Also the prorated ETF (as most have this today) and the $99 fee would be cheaper than either the Curve or the Pearl at full price, which is what most would pay if already under contract (unless their carrier would allow a discount and extension). I see lots being lured when presented with either option, and if they are really interested in the media features, the Iphone can't be beat with the cover flow art, IPOD, and safari browser. I hope RIM does step up to the plate as competition is good, it's just that the economy is not at this time.

habituallinstpr no está en línea Stack level 1
    Wow, this is bananas!
    .....that's if its true.

Look at it from Apples viewpoint. Never has their been a better time for them to gain market share than now. The key points are:
    1) They can price it @ $99 & still make money
    2) Few others can do that
    3) The iPhone is "cool"
    4) Others aren't
    5) iPhones are more of an impulse buy
    6) Others aren't
    7) Apple comes across as caring about the average consumer who cannot afford $200-300.
    8) Apple gets bragging rights as the least expensive, top selling smartphone
    9) The smartphone market is shrinking due to the economy
    10) Apple defies that @ just $99 and gains market share,and gains a new customer that will be brand loyal.

It's a win/win deal for Apple. Steve Jobs is a very shrewd businessman. Wait & see.
    Let everyone else have their iPhones, I use a BlackBerry thank you!
    Cheers
    sent via BlackBerry
    Simply Brilliant !

chuckyt12 no está en línea Stack level 1

Nobody's mentioning what this will do for AT&T... The Storm will be obsolete,until AT&T gets to sell it... And maybe RIM will come down on the Bold.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckyt12 View Post

Nobody's mentioning what this will do for AT&T... The Storm will be obsolete,until AT&T gets to sell it... And maybe RIM will come down on the Bold.
    Precisely!
    That's the beauty of this, if it happens, is that we all win. It will indeed force RIM to do something. Who knows which model they will reduce the price on, but who cares? It's all good, as it will pump up BlackBerry sales which is always a good thing. Even better is if you are right & they lower the price on the Bold. This is the reason I find this such an interesting story to follow.
    My take is the rumor would have not persisted this long if it did not have a likelihood of coming through.
    sent via BlackBerry
    Simply Brilliant !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast