Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

While still unconfirmed, the growing buzz about the $99 iPhone is simply too constant to ... Apple iPhone forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

$99 iPhone @ Walmart...

Advertisement

While still unconfirmed, the growing buzz about the $99 iPhone is simply too constant to ignore. First it was the Wall Street analysts, and now it's the mainstream press reporting on this. Previously it was stated that Apple can still make a nice profit while selling at this price, so don't be surprised if this becomes a reality sometime very soon.

If this becomes a reality, RIM and it's other competitors could be seriously threatened. This is the one move that could indeed change the industry.

more...

rjs87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    if its gonna happen its gonna be for the Christmas shopping season
    **There are 2 types of people in this world: those who use the search bar and those who do not**

pniko_07 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    stack
    Wow, that will interesting to see how it plays out.

riff_raff no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    26853B59
    It'll play out the same way it did for the Razr.

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555
    I don't think RIM has anything to worry about. Just because it will be sold at Walmart doesn't change the features it lacks. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by li2327 View Post
    I don't think RIM has anything to worry about. Just because it will be sold at Walmart doesn't change the features it lacks. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    That's the wrong way to approach this issue, as when price becomes the issue, then people tend to overlook feature sets, as you are comparing different devices at different price points. How many times has someone been swayed based upon the lower price to give up one or two features that were not really necessary for their uses. For the average person going to an Iphone for $100 (this will probably be the lowest model, but even so getting 8Gb at this price point would be excellent, most don't look into the contract point) would be great as you get the entire uses of an IPod paired with a phone, just one device to carry. The usual crowd buying this device don't view it as a power users device, just a multi-use entertainment device (which is Apples target market)and wouldn't miss the features not present (i don't really use cut and paste much myself and never use the camera, I really only care about email and since I run my own exchange server, I get the same email timing response as I did with RIM BIS through GMAIL, and I also get contact and calendar push, which I never received with BIS something I consider a missing feature that no one else points out when comparing the two. On the other side the analysts do view it as a direct competitor for RIM, so their ratings of RIM would decrease as Apple gains a larger market share. Yes, it is not fair, but it could possibly hurt BB in the long run. This $100 price cut (if it is the 8GB model) would represent almost a quarter of a year in free web service when compared to current pricing, if you care to look at it this way. Either way, I could see it make a huge dent in the current smart phone market shares, which will give RIM some problems, like it or not. It is a matter of pure economics. Let's face it, when the new BB's come out, everybody always compares them based upon the price point that they will be released at and how this will allow them to compare to other devices and price points. This would put the Iphone at the price point of most normal phones and represent a heck of a value at that price point.
    Last edited by squeakr; 12-04-2008 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by riff_raff View Post
    It'll play out the same way it did for the Razr.
    And that was?

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    99 dollars for a 4gb Iphone is big trouble for rim. I already know a few people that are gonna pass on the storm and javeline to get that deal. I hope rim Has an answer to this or they shall be left behind.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

danger872 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2401D9F3
    To make everything easy on me I will jus ditch my 80gb ipod and buy the iphone for 100....and still keep my bb8800.....it never fails on me...then why should I fail on it....lol
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

riff_raff no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    26853B59
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    And that was?
    At that price they will be very popular but then they'll be EVERYWHERE and they'll lose their status symbol factor FAST.

Naylor07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241ECE99
    What does being a status symbol have anything to do with? The Razr is still everywhere.

RIM will only be concerned about losing more of its consumer users to the iPhone. This won't affect the business world that much, but it will definitely hurt RIMs sales for the competitively priced blackberries like the pearl and curve sold at Walmart.

Naylor07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241ECE99
    One advantage is it is only a 4 gig model with no expandable memory slot, that could deter some people from purchasing it.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4
    I would tend to agree about it being a downfall, except that it hasn't hurt the sale of shuffles, nanos and the like that are in the same 4G range and they are also at the same price point as well. In fact just one year ago the 4 GB units couldn't be kept in stock and that was at the $399 price point. The 4 GB rumor is only that as well as it could easily be the 8GB, as that would only be a $100 price cut and if WalMart was buying in bulk Apple may bend a little to allow the discount, as they would still make a mint.

Quote Originally Posted by Naylor07 View Post
    One advantage is it is only a 4 gig model with no expandable memory slot, that could deter some people from purchasing it.
    The reason I don't think the memory & capacity will be a problem is because at that low price people are willing to overlook a lot of things. Also we must remember that the majority of the buyers have no idea what that means anyway. They are not knowledable & I'm not being critical. It's simply the way it is. After all what is Walmart? A store that is known to have good prices & carry everything. At $99 Apple will sell them in huge numbers & take business away from all the others. People will buy them without question. An impulse buy.
    Sent via Archer's BlackBerry

Quote Originally Posted by li2327 View Post
    The mainstream public has no clue about what it has or doesn't have. It's cool, it's made by Apple, and for that price they will fly off the shelves. RIM will take a massive hit. OR they will get smart & sell a BlackBerry for $99.
    Just watch.
    Sent via Archer's BlackBerry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast