Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

I've been debating and debating. I ordered pre-sale thru Best Buy, so if I decided ... Motorola Androids forum

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Advertisement

I've been debating and debating. I ordered pre-sale thru Best Buy, so if I decided to go for it, at least I don't have to deal with the MIR. Just another "annoy" factor. Why won't the VZW stores do instant rebate? VZW online does, Best Buy does. Wal-Mart is undercutting the VZW store price by about 5% ($188 2 year contract price, no rebate) but I have to pony up $100 more to mail in a rebate if I want to take it home today? Grrrrr

Anyway...I'm holding back because of the keyboard. It looks awkward and cheap to me. If I keep this phone the full 2 years like I have my 8310, I just wonder if that keyboard is gonna make it. And the D-Pad on the right? Seriously? Who designed that thing? A left handed, frustrated gamer engineer with an enormous sense of humor? For those of you that have had it for a few days...what do you think?

Pricing...yes, VZW's pricing is ridiculous, but in case you were wondering it matches AT&T's pricing on the iPhone 3GS. Can you spell collusion? I can!

Should I take the plunge this weekend, or hold off for another Android device sometime next year?

cgaliffi no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22D95A46
    You could just get the Droid now and if you're not satisfied return it within the thirty day timeframe. You could also wait for the upcoming HTC Passion /Dragon coming out soon with the Snapdragon processor which Vz should be getting. By the way I love the Droid!
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0; en-us; Droid Build/ESD20) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    After taking a closer look at everything I'm holding off. If your in need of a new device for many reasons (EOC, Broken Phone etc) I think the Droid has a lot to offer.

I don't feel like adding another line and my current contract is not up till June 2010. If i were to buy a Droid come June 2010 I would be upset with myself.

Verizon is set to release LTE then and the Droid will not use that network but rather their current 3G. Verizon's current 3G network cannot run simultaneous voice and data so the multi tasking is limited to Apps that don't use those features.

I'm taking a leap and thinking the next model running LTE will suite me much better and have a longer life. Signing a 2 year contract now would not be good for me. We are at the tail end of Verizon's 3G service and I just think if at all possible holding off for LTE will be beneficial.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    I spent a good hour with the Droid. Its a perfect choice if you're a Verizon customer who qualifies for an upgrade as its now the best phone on Verizon, but I wouldn't leave Tmo just to have it. I think the fact that its basic Android(Google experience phone), with no fancy U.I. skinned over it, will be a huge plus as far as OTA updates and rooting. This one will be getting all the goods.

The keyboard was acceptable for me, and could've been made better, but being the thinnest full qwerty keyboard ever made must come at some cost.

I'll be waiting for the Sony X10 but the Droid is an overall great device. Oh and screen alone might win you over.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile myTouch 3G Build/DRC92) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1
    Last edited by rdills; 11-10-2009 at 04:20 PM.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    So far, I am still happy I made the jump. I'm enjoying learning a new platform and once I get used to it I look forward to learning about rooting and what benefits I would get from it.

My son loves his Droid too, he has added an NES emulator and loaded all his roms in it......and in case you're wondering.....the Google voice search turns all curse words to #### and comes up with an empty search....apparently that was yesterday's entertainment with his friends during lunch at school....

I know that in 6 months I will be wanting something new....but I couldn't deal with my old 8330 any more!
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0; en-us; Droid Build/ESD20) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    Thanks. Among other things, I don't know if Moto really got it right this time or not. I don't HAVE to switch, but I'm tempted. VZW has better coverage here than AT&T, which I have now. But I'm not completelý sold, so I think I'll just hang on.

I'm not too worried about LTE implementation. I am in a non-metro market. I am pretty confident I could buy a 3G phone today and fulfill the 2 year contract before LTE gets implemented where I live. AT&T has yet to lift a finger to expand its 3G here, 2 years after it "started".

cgaliffi no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22D95A46
    Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
    Thanks. Among other things, I don't know if Moto really got it right this time or not. I don't HAVE to switch, but I'm tempted. VZW has better coverage here than AT&T, which I have now. But I'm not completelý sold, so I think I'll just hang on.

I'm not too worried about LTE implementation. I am in a non-metro market. I am pretty confident I could buy a 3G phone today and fulfill the 2 year contract before LTE gets implemented where I live. AT&T has yet to lift a finger to expand its 3G here, 2 years after it "started".
    That's a good point about the LTE implementation in non metro markets.

mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Bought mine when they opened first thing this morning and it's great. Everything I read about and nothing I didn't. My friends have had theirs since day one, without a problem. This is a very interesting and fun device.

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    I'm late to the party.....But I got my Droid!

mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by rdills View Post
    I'm late to the party.....But I got my Droid!
    Congratulations, better late then never... heh.

Here's my tip for you. What I found when I first got mine was if I slowed down my normal typing speed and was a bit deliberate, getting used to the keyboard went really well. It actually made it easy to get used to that way. Now my typing speed is back to normal and I'm really liking the keyboard. The shorter travel of the keys is what you need to adjust to and once that's done you will be quite fast.

Enjoy it!

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Thanks for the advice. I love all 3 keyboards so far. Got the Eris free as well. Verizon really slammed 1 out the park with that special. Whoa the Eris is thin! And nice.
    Last edited by rdills; 12-09-2009 at 05:18 PM.

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Just picked my free Eris, gonna see how my daughter likes it, its gonna be kiinda hard getting the Bold from her
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

zantopad no está en línea Stack level 3
    My Eris was delivered yesterday! Unfortunately the wife wants me to wait another week until she gets her bb curve 8530 upgrade until I activate it... So it stays in the box for now... Then its off to sell the Storm! good riddance, never was my favorite blackberry... On the other hand, I'll always have a special place in my heart for the 8320, my first (and best) bb.... It feels very dated now after playing with the android OS, and HTC Sense especially.

PIN/ID
    Huh?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456